Gransnet forums

News & politics

Leavers. Were you absolutely clear that a no deal Brexit would mean job losses?

(192 Posts)
MaizieD Sat 11-Jul-20 13:10:45

Because Andrea Leadsome says that it was made clear before the referendum.

Now. it might be the forgetfulness of old age but I don't even remember anything about 'no deal' Brexit until T May brought up the subject, post referendum.

So, this is not a 'stirring' question but a plea for information.

a) Did you even contemplate 'no deal'?

and

b), if you did, were you clear that it would mean job losses?

Here she is:

twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1281879602995048451

(It's perfectly safe to follow the link, BTW)

Whitewavemark2 Tue 14-Jul-20 19:21:49

maybe that’s what I thought as well

Urmstongran Tue 14-Jul-20 21:33:20

I read our waters are plentiful with fish because global warming (I think) has raised the temperature of the seas around us by a degree or two.

Deedaa Tue 14-Jul-20 21:44:21

Global warming doesn't help the supplies of the fish we actually eat in the UK. Cod and Haddock are cold water species. Back to the Cod wars of the 70s.

MaizieD Tue 14-Jul-20 22:16:35

Most of the fish we catch in our waters is sold to the EU; they eat 'funny' fish grin

Though, remembering what fish was sold in my young days (near the Essex coast), our choice seems more restricted now, apart from where there is a more diverse population with a 'wider' taste in fish.

It was a cheap option, too. It certainly isn't now.

Sparkling Tue 14-Jul-20 22:46:35

Whatever was said or wasn't we have to deal with the present, the country is in a desperate state, particularly our young because of this Pandemic, we have to be pro active and positive to encourage people. In every depression you get those that will make a million but millions who will find it a struggle pto find a job.

Furret Wed 15-Jul-20 07:45:39

Urmstongran

I read our waters are plentiful with fish because global warming (I think) has raised the temperature of the seas around us by a degree or two.

The opposite is more likely.

Davidhs Wed 15-Jul-20 07:57:32

A lot of the cod and cold water fish we eat is caught in Icelandic and Norwegian waters, by their fishing fleets, as has been said a lot of fish we have is exported.

vegansrock Wed 15-Jul-20 08:02:07

Overfishing in those huge factory boats has depleted fish numbers everywhere. We don’t own fish - they can swim from one country’s waters to another. The whole notion of “our” fish is ridiculous. It’s the exploitation of the natural world that has brought devastation to the planet and oceans. We shouldn’t be trumpeting an industry which contributes so much to pollution anyway. The number of British owned boats/ British workers on said boats is minuscule. Cleaning up fishing and agriculture is way more important.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 15-Jul-20 08:03:10

I remembering talking to a fisherman here on the south coast and everything he catches goes to the EU.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 15-Jul-20 08:03:46

Good post vegan

Davidhs Wed 15-Jul-20 08:13:39

Overfishing is a problem worldwide but Northern European waters are controlled quite well in comparison to other areas. Norway and Iceland are very strict because their fishing industries are very important. The EU and U.K. need to restrict industrial fishing that rake the sea bed hovering everything up to provide fish food for salmon farms.

Urmstongran Wed 15-Jul-20 08:24:55

I daresay fish swim from sea to sea but the territorial waters around our coast are under our jurisdiction. What’s in them on a particular day is a moot point.

growstuff Wed 15-Jul-20 09:35:15

Urmstongran

I daresay fish swim from sea to sea but the territorial waters around our coast are under our jurisdiction. What’s in them on a particular day is a moot point.

Fishing stocks don't work like that!!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 15-Jul-20 18:11:03

I dare say that most Brexiters were very keen for the U.K. to take back control.

The trouble is we seem to have given it to the USA.

And after that we will give it to next country we want to do a deal with and on and on it will go.

Davidhs Wed 15-Jul-20 20:33:02

I guess letting the US intimidate us into the Huawei boycott is all part of cozying up to get some sort of credibility out of Brexit. Oh, wait a minute the Chinese are building us a new nuclear power station at Hinkley Point, let’s hope that works out.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 16-Jul-20 12:20:55

Yes Davidhs lets hope!

With our struggling economy weakened by Covid and Brexit uncertainty, can we afford to distance from China now?

They have a lot invested in U.K. infrastructure, and our leading universities, for example.

We will be cut off from privileged access to EU market, vulnerable in the US market whose economy works in a protectionist way. and alienating ourselves from China, the biggest source of growth in the world.