Painting your toenails

(75 Posts)
Dollymc2 Sun 12-Jul-20 22:29:08

Do you paint your toenails?
Do you. ..
a) paint them only in the summer?
b) paint them all year round?

Riverwalk Mon 13-Jul-20 15:53:55

Mine are painted all year round. In normal times I have a pedicure every few months when I go the hairdressers and inbetween times do them myself, but not very well.

I have nice feet and look after them.

For those who say they have bad feet and want to hide them away - don't you think they would look better if you pampered them a bit? If you have serious hard skin, nail problems then see a podiatrist then get yerself off to a beauty therapist. People with bunions or hammer toes can still have nice feet and wear summer sandals.

I do next to nothing with my fingernails apart from keeping them short and clean, with the very occasional pale/clear varnish.

Puzzler61 Mon 13-Jul-20 16:18:59

Riverwalk I envy you those pretty feet.
The words “nice” and “feet” would never be in the same sentence when I’m describing mine.
Only surgery will help them. I do pamper them which makes them feel nice - but my DH pulls no punches and says “Oh you have ugly feet”.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 13-Jul-20 16:21:17

Never in a million years. My feet are not a thing of beauty and I don't wish to draw attention to them.

grannysyb Mon 13-Jul-20 16:24:06

I have done my toenails during the lockdown, and I'm rubbish at it! Thankfully my local nail bar has reopened and I'm going on Wednesday.

PinkCakes Mon 13-Jul-20 19:43:57

All year round. I did them again last night - royal blue, to match my fingernails. Next week, they might be pink or purple.

Callistemon Mon 13-Jul-20 19:53:21

Riverwalk

Mine are painted all year round. In normal times I have a pedicure every few months when I go the hairdressers and inbetween times do them myself, but not very well.

I have nice feet and look after them.

For those who say they have bad feet and want to hide them away - don't you think they would look better if you pampered them a bit? If you have serious hard skin, nail problems then see a podiatrist then get yerself off to a beauty therapist. People with bunions or hammer toes can still have nice feet and wear summer sandals.

I do next to nothing with my fingernails apart from keeping them short and clean, with the very occasional pale/clear varnish.

No.
No amount of pedicures, nail varnish etc will improve mine unfortunately.

Callistemon Mon 13-Jul-20 19:54:41

Yes, I may need more surgery I think, Puzzler.
It's hereditary, not neglect

Chewbacca Mon 13-Jul-20 20:00:55

Because the main photo on the main page of this site is very, very, very white, pale-
So it only makes sense to create a thread about toes under politics and news-

I've read that 4 times now and I still can't make any sense of it.

However, I have manicure and pedicure every month, throughout the year normally. I'm doing it myself at the moment, for obvious reasons, and they're ok but the right hand nails are a bit wobbly. I prefer burgundy red or wine reds and I'm currently using the OPI Nail Envy. Good stuff.

Callistemon Mon 13-Jul-20 20:05:16

The people on the logo are pink.

Very, very pink.
I don't know anyone that colour.
I can't make sense of it either, Chewbacca as the main photo changes constantly.

My favourite is the Grandad reading to his DGD and she is looking up at him quizzically. I love that photo.

biba70 Tue 28-Jul-20 15:18:40

only in summer as it is toxic to have painted nails all the time. They need to breathe naturally to recover.

Sparkling Wed 29-Jul-20 06:30:13

If you can see the purpose of toe nail colour on a News and Policitics forum, it's no wonder some if the threads make no sense. It's like the Kings new clothes, but carry on.

Calendargirl Wed 29-Jul-20 07:11:18

People with bunions and hammer toes can still have nice feet and wear sandals

No, they can’t! That’s a bit like telling someone with dentures they have nice teeth!

Many of my toes are bent over, if I painted them you would hardly see the colour. And sandals would not enhance anything.

The person who wrote the comments (Riverwalk?) said she had nice feet, which to those of us who haven’t is fairly obvious.

Do I sound envious? Moi?

???????

Urmstongran Wed 29-Jul-20 07:57:04

I did mine at the weekend. I used to have a pedicure every 6 weeks but since lockdown I’m not keen to go into a salon just yet. I didn’t do too bad a job! Saved myself €20 too ...
Just waiting for that enormous blister to go down - we walked to far in the heat and my pumps must have rubbed.
?

Urmstongran Wed 29-Jul-20 08:17:52

only in summer as it is toxic to have painted nails all the time. They need to breathe naturally to recover. I disagree biba70 as I’ve not been without nail polish on my toenails for at least the last 20 years. I just think it helps make feet look as attractive as possible. I always apply a base coat first though (or usually - the salon does)!

EllanVannin Wed 29-Jul-20 08:21:17

Haven't painted my toe-nails but had a mad splurge on my fingernails on Monday filing then painting them turquoise grin Very bright. They've really grown !

Just to perk myself up and remind myself that I'm still in the land of the living.

That colour is lovely Urmston--almost luminous.

gillybob Wed 29-Jul-20 08:37:40

My feet are my best feature grin with the exception of the little piggy on my right foot which has never been straight since I broke it a few years ago.

So yes I do paint my toe nails all year round . At the moment they are a kind of black cherry colour smile

Nortsat Wed 29-Jul-20 09:13:28

I think painted toenails look v nice on others (see Urmston’s photo above), but I don’t like them on me and I like to keep my toenails short.
My feet and nails are fine, ‘ungarnished’.

I don’t often paint my fingernails either, come to that. Then only with clear or pale pink varnish.
Everybody to their own.

Lesley60 Wed 29-Jul-20 09:29:14

I only paint mine In summer when people Can see them, but I can’t bend down anymore so my husband does them he also cuts my toenails.
My two 18 yr old granddaughters were so impressed with his secret talent that they ask him to do theirs too, if anyone saw my ex rugby player 6ft 3 hubby on his knees painting our toes they would have a right laugh, but he will do anything for his girls ?

Peardrop50 Wed 29-Jul-20 09:45:44

As it's a political thread, mine are blue. Don't want to make assumptions Urmston but are yours the right colour?
Yes I paint them from April to October and again at Christmas, did think they needed a break sometimes but seems I'm mistaken

Pantglas2 Wed 29-Jul-20 09:52:44

Here are my little piggies ?! Always painted spring to autumn and unadorned in winter unless we’re on holiday in the ?

I can’t stand someone touching my feet (had one pedicure in my life and couldn’t wait for it to be over - give me the dentist any day!).

Pedicure every fortnight in summer and once a month in winter keeps them presentable although a new pair of sandals might need breaking in by wear socks with them around the house!

B9exchange Wed 29-Jul-20 09:59:17

Urms not only polish, but a ring as well, now that is showing off! grin

I do mine a deep metallic teal colour in the summer, my feet look far more acceptable that way, but I have had comments implying that I might be too old for that colour. Is there an age range for different hues? sad

Calendargirl Wed 29-Jul-20 11:02:08

Pantglas2

Here are my little piggies ?! Always painted spring to autumn and unadorned in winter unless we’re on holiday in the ?

I can’t stand someone touching my feet (had one pedicure in my life and couldn’t wait for it to be over - give me the dentist any day!).

Pedicure every fortnight in summer and once a month in winter keeps them presentable although a new pair of sandals might need breaking in by wear socks with them around the house!

I don’t follow- you don’t like pedicures, only had one in your life, then next paragraph says you have one a fortnight in summer?

?

Pantglas2 Wed 29-Jul-20 12:05:28

I do my own......!

It’s not something that would occur to you until you had someone else touching your feet, is it? I was in my thirties and had been diy-ing for years then someone gave me a voucher for a treatment and that’s when I realised! Arghh!

Calendargirl Wed 29-Jul-20 12:35:55

Oh, I like my feet being touched, Pantglas, but because they are so awful, no one would want to!

I would love for my DH to massage my feet and try and straighten out my bent toes, he never offers sadly.