Gransnet forums

News & politics

Seems the jihadi bride Shamima Begum might be coming back to stand trial in the U.K.

(395 Posts)
Urmstongran Fri 17-Jul-20 08:24:01

Oh no!
Once one comes back it’ll open the floodgates and they’ll all be back living here at the taxpayers expense.

I hope the Government’s appeal against her return next week is successful but it’s not looking good.

Iam64 Fri 17-Jul-20 09:04:13

Shamina Begum was born in England, she grew up here and has never been to Bangladesh. Her parents are of Bangladeshi origin. It is has been suggested that she could claim citizenship in Bangladesh but that country has declined to offer it.
I understand the floodgates argument. I also recognise that if she is allowed into the country, it will be very difficult to deport he. However, why should Syria or any other country take responsibility for our home grown problems?

Two things seem important to me. Firstly, was she legally deprived of her British citizenship. Secondly, she was a 15 year old girl, subject to online grooming when she made the disastrous decision to join the caliphate. I am not suggesting she should not be subjected to an investigation and prosecution of any crimes she is found to have committed. I suspect it was illegal to join the caliphate, to support Isis. If that is the case, she should be prosecuted.
We have a legal system and it helps none of us to deny British citizens the right to a fair trial.
This does not mean I don't understand the horrors of terrorism, the impact of the Manchester bomb etc, or the horrors that Isis subjected people to in Syria. I'd like to see them prosecuted in an international court like the Nazis after WW2.

gillybob Fri 17-Jul-20 09:05:25

Well I hope we are prepared for what will no doubt follow.

Counter- terror experts also warned last night that the decision to let Begum back into the UK could have dire implications for national security

Dr Alan Mendoza, executive director of the counter-terror think-tank the Henry Jackson Society, said: 'The deeply troubling implication of this judgment is that up to 150 terrorists are now legally entitled to enter the UK in order to appeal the decision in their case

This decision could have dramatic repercussions for our entire counter-terror strategy

British jihadi fighters believed to be alive including former bouncy castle salesman turned alleged executioner Siddhartha Dhar, 36, 'Jihadi Jack' Letts, ISIS grave digger Shahan Choudhury, fast food addict 'Hungry' Hamza Parvez and Cardiff ice cream salesman Aseel Muthana may also try to seize on Begum's legal victory

Smileless2012 Fri 17-Jul-20 09:06:02

I too hope the Government's appeal is successful Urmstongran. If her appeal to have her status here fails, what happens next? She'll have to stay here because no doubt no other country will want her.

Better she doesn't set foot on UK soil.

suziewoozie Fri 17-Jul-20 09:09:38

25Avalon is correct - the Appeal Court ruling is about her being allowed back in order to fight her being stripped of her citizenship. If someone is born and brought up in a country, why should they not be responsible for dealing with that person if they are accused of breaking its laws ( and that’s without taking into account othervpoints made by lemon and kitty). In addition, there is evidence that local social services and the police knew what was happening to these girls and did nothing of substance to stop it or prevent them leaving the country. Apparently the police sent a letter to the parents via the girls themselves flagging their concerns which of course the girls did not deliver.

Kandinsky Fri 17-Jul-20 09:11:17

She’ll be back.
And the tax payer will foot the million pound bill to watch her 24/7 for the next 50 years.

Kittye Fri 17-Jul-20 09:11:27

I can’t believe the sympathy this young WOMAN is getting.
Sorry but at 15 I knew right from wrong. Why should she be any different? I hope the sympathisers don’t regret their views down the line.

Taffy1234 Fri 17-Jul-20 09:12:25

I was looking at my fifteen year old grandchild. It's in the name child!
She was groomed and I can't imagine the horrors those poor little girls faced when they met their fighters. This girl has had 3 babies with no health care, seen them all die.
Let's have a little compassion.

Chewbacca Fri 17-Jul-20 09:13:21

Shamima Begum being muslim, and suggesting that that's the reason why there is distrust against her coming back to the UK is dog whistle tactics trisher, and you know that. I agree that lemon's post was absolutely spot on but I can also understand the disquiet and feelings of revulsion for what Begum did. It's ironic that, having destroyed her British passport as soon as she reached her ISIS pals, she's now desperate to reclaim her British citizenship and come back here. I'm also bemused that she feels her human rights were abused by removing her citizenship. Fairly sure she was contributory to the removal of basic human rights whilst ISIS were actively destroying anything they could get their hands on. But she will have to come back here because, unfortunately, she is our problem.

gillybob Fri 17-Jul-20 09:14:54

I have an almost 15 year old DGD . Are we seriously saying that at that age they don’t know right from wrong ?

How anyone can describe her as a “poor little girl” is beyond me .

Even her own families lawyer is saying that he can’t be sure she will not be a terrorist threat when she returns.

Orangerose Fri 17-Jul-20 09:19:14

Sorry trisher I’m not taking responsibility for this ‘British’ scumbag. She is terrorist and should not be allowed back.

Auntieflo Fri 17-Jul-20 09:19:40

I cannot understand why she is being allowed legal aid.
This has been denied to many now, and she is being granted freedom to be represented, at a cost to us all.
Probably in more ways than one.

kittylester Fri 17-Jul-20 09:20:26

You were lucky to know your own mind at that age kitty. This girl came from a sheltered background and would have been easy to groom.

Where were her parents, school and teachers not to spot this?

gilly I wouldnt be too happy to have her live next to me or anywhere unsupervised in the community unless she was proved not to be a threat - after that, why not?

mumofmadboys Fri 17-Jul-20 09:22:21

I agree wholeheartedly with lemongrove's post. She was 15 when she left- a child. She was groomed. Are people never allowed to make a wrong decision, even as hot headed teenagers? We need to show compassion.

trisher Fri 17-Jul-20 09:23:55

Ok if you are alleging that it is nothing to do with her name or her religion. If a 15 year old girl called Mary Jones had run away from her family, converted to Islam and married a jihadi should she be brought back to the country she was born in?

Greeneyedgirl Fri 17-Jul-20 09:24:52

Iam64 and Lemongrove two very good posts and with which I completely agree.

Thankfully we still have an independent judiciary in this country, which can make impartial decisions, unlike some countries.

Furret Fri 17-Jul-20 09:27:59

She was only a child when she left aged 15, and judging by the odd interview she’s given, not that bright.

Let’s go with the laws of the land and give her a fair hearing.

gillybob Fri 17-Jul-20 09:28:15

But how could we ever know she would no longer be a threat kittylester? These people (terrorists) are very good at hiding their dark intentions (often from their own families) .

And she is just the tip of the rotten iceberg .

Parsley3 Fri 17-Jul-20 09:28:17

On one hand, here is a 20 year old woman who has lost three babies and her husband.
On the other hand, she lived the life of her choice until it went badly wrong for her.
This is a situation which tests the bounds of compassion.
For me, my opinion rests on the attitude of Begum herself. Is she still radicalised or not and how can we tell?
Either way, the UK does have to take responsibility for her and others like her.

Oldwoman70 Fri 17-Jul-20 09:28:46

trisher - the simple answer is no. Anyone, of whatever nationality, who joins an organisation dedicated to destroying our way of life should automatically be banned from entering the country.

I note no-one is addressing the fact that IS has instructed it's followers to return to their home countries and continue the fight there - how do we know she is not following those instructions. Would you be happy for her to be free to wander around a shopping centre frequented by you, your children and grandchildren?

gillybob Fri 17-Jul-20 09:29:34

By allowing her back we are also opening the (legal) doors to some VERY nasty people to come back as well.

Furret Fri 17-Jul-20 09:31:04

The law she’s she’s entitled to a hearing. End of.

mumofmadboys Fri 17-Jul-20 09:31:45

How would you feel if she was your DD or your DGD? Did we all make sensible , well thought out decisions at 15?

Furret Fri 17-Jul-20 09:32:50

Correction.

The law says she’s entitled to a hearing.

growstuff Fri 17-Jul-20 09:41:34

British law says she's entitled to an appeal on stripping her of British citizenship. The courts have now ruled that she's entitled to attend the hearing in person. The rest is irrelevant. She's not being tried on anything she's done.

Laws apply to everybody.

tickingbird Fri 17-Jul-20 09:42:46

Is it because she's got a foreign sounding name? Is it because she's Muslim? No Trisher nothing quite so racist and simple as that. It’s because she ran away to join a bloodthirsty cult that brought terror and abject misery to thousands of people. By her own admission she was fine with the torture and evil punishments being handed out willy nilly and didn’t blanch at the sight of a severed head in a bin when she happened across it (as you do!).

How anyone can feel the slightest sympathy for her and any others like her is beyond me.

Do you really think she’s going to live a normal, law abiding life and present no danger to the general public?