Gransnet forums

News & politics

Seems the jihadi bride Shamima Begum might be coming back to stand trial in the U.K.

(394 Posts)
Urmstongran Fri 17-Jul-20 08:24:01

Oh no!
Once one comes back it’ll open the floodgates and they’ll all be back living here at the taxpayers expense.

I hope the Government’s appeal against her return next week is successful but it’s not looking good.

gillybob Fri 17-Jul-20 08:28:39

I was thinking the same thing Urms . They will all want back and they are terrorists who wish us harm . This country needs a kick up the pants .

growstuff Fri 17-Jul-20 08:29:45

She was born in the UK. She was British. She was radicalised in the UK. I see no earthly reason why the UK shouldn't have to deal with its own home grown problems.

growstuff Fri 17-Jul-20 08:30:17

Who exactly are "they"? The cats' grandmothers?

eazybee Fri 17-Jul-20 08:32:02

It is her lack of remorse, even indifference, to her actions which troubles me; she wishes to return to Britain for her own safety because IS no longer exists, not because she has repented of her allegiance.

trisher Fri 17-Jul-20 08:35:11

So why shouldn't she come back to the country of her birth? Is it because she's got a foreign sounding name? Is it because she's Muslim? Is it because she married the wrong person? Really what justification is there for denying her? Apart from racism of course. We bring criminals back from Spain to stand trial and imprison them. Should we just leave everyone whereever they happen to be living just because we want to pretend they are nothing to do with us?

Esspee Fri 17-Jul-20 08:36:57

If it results in her being prosecuted and jailed then OK.
If it means we have to support her and spend a fortune in surveillance to keep the rest of us safe then no, she made the choices she should pay.

Orangerose Fri 17-Jul-20 08:40:18

No way! I hope the government appeal is successful. Terrorist scum bag.

25Avalon Fri 17-Jul-20 08:44:16

She is not coming back to stand trial. She is being allowed back to contest the stripping of her British citizenship which she would like revoked so she can stay here.

trisher Fri 17-Jul-20 08:44:39

But a British Terrorist scum bag. Take responsibility.

Kittye Fri 17-Jul-20 08:45:01

trisherThe reason she shouldn’t come back here because she’s a terrorist. Nothing to do with colour or religion.
She gave up any rights when she turned her back on her place of birth and wished to do it harm

dinks13 Fri 17-Jul-20 08:45:37

Couldn’t of put it better myself orangerose!!! And yes “they” will all be coming back now.

gillybob Fri 17-Jul-20 08:45:53

I wish “they” were the cats grandmothers growstuff “they” would be far less dangerous !

These are terrorists . She (the cats mother) and others like her left the U.K. willingly to join a terrorist organisations that would see any of us murdered in the name of their own beliefs .

FindingNemo15 Fri 17-Jul-20 08:46:34

She knew what she was doing when she left. I seem to remember she had apparently given birth to three babies that had sadly died. At the time I did the maths and time-wise it was not possible, but this has been mentioned in her defense and possibly part of the reason for her lack of remorse!!

lemongrove Fri 17-Jul-20 08:49:13

While I understand the feelings of everyone who doesn’t want her back here, there are a few things to consider.
1. She was a teenager when she and her friends left the UK with romantic notions of marrying ‘warriors’ and living as they thought Allah would want ( ...yes, I know!)
2. Other than being married and having babies there, we don’t know if she committed crimes or not ( totally unknowable).
3. Am uneasy really with making any person ‘stateless’
4. I think that every country including ours, has to take responsibility for their own citizens, take them back and imprison if necessary.I really isn’t fair to any country to make them responsible for foreign terrorists and their dependents.

trisher Fri 17-Jul-20 08:50:49

Kittye has she been tried and convicted of terrorist offences? If so I must have missed it. If not then she at least deserves a proper trial. After all as I said there are murderers and drug dealers brought back from Spain to stand trial why is her crime different?

trisher Fri 17-Jul-20 08:53:25

Incidently if we are talking about costs the amount the government has spent revoking her citizenship could have been saved.

Oldwoman70 Fri 17-Jul-20 08:53:27

Left the country of her birth to support an organisation which wants to destroy us and our way of life. If she hates UK and it's residents so much why does she want to return? It is known that IS instructed it's followers to return to their own countries and carry on the fight from within.

I don't want her to return and it has nothing to do with her name, colour or religion - it is because I believe she could be a danger to all residents of UK.

kittylester Fri 17-Jul-20 08:56:29

I agree with lemon.

The poor girl was groomed.

Dogdays Fri 17-Jul-20 08:58:19

Lemongrove. Thanks for a clear measured response to an emotive issue.

Missfoodlove Fri 17-Jul-20 08:59:03

If she was to return to Bangladesh her country of heritage she would face the death sentence.

If she returns to her country of birth whose beliefs and values she shunned, she will receive food, shelter, protection, legal aid, education and healthcare.

She should be arrested the minute she sets foot on British soil.

MerylStreep Fri 17-Jul-20 08:59:08

Growstuff
they would be the people who hate our country so much they wish us harm.

trisha
The fact that she is a Muslim has nothing to do with it. I feel the same about any white British person who joined Isis.

gillybob Fri 17-Jul-20 08:59:32

I really can’t believe you could call her a “poor girl” kittylester . She is a terrorist . Would you want her living beside you or your family ? How could we ever know what she was up to unless she was watched 24/7 ?

Lucca Fri 17-Jul-20 09:01:39

Well said Lemongrove.

TerriBull Fri 17-Jul-20 09:03:49

Oh I don't know, I think she's been punished enough, and she and her companions were, as many are at that age susceptible to embracing all sorts of ideas, not always good. I'm feeling that after everything she's been through, she won't prove to be a risk. That's not to say I feel that way about others who creep back under the radar.