Gransnet forums

News & politics

NHS-were we clapping or waving goodbye?

(67 Posts)
trisher Tue 21-Jul-20 09:36:37

Last night Tory MPs voted down an amendment which would have protected the NHS from more privatisation by keeping it out of any Trade Deals. So all the assurances about how much they appreciate it were just hot air. The Covid crisis may well be the last act of a dying organisation.
Proposed by Catherine Lucas, this was the amendment.
New Clause 17
In addition to protecting the NHS from foreign control, the amendment also contained numerous other measures to protect the NHS, including:

Ensuring the ability to provide a “comprehensive and publicly funded health service free at the point of delivery” was not compromised by any future trade deal
Protecting hard-working NHS staff from having their wages or rights slashed by any future trade deal
Protecting the quality and safety of health and care services
Regulating the control and pricing of medicines
Protecting patient data from being sold off
Protecting the NHS from so-called investor-state dispute settlements (ISDS) – clauses which allow foreign investors to sue national governments for any measures which harm their profits.

silverlining48 Fri 24-Jul-20 15:38:23

Signed and forwarded

varian Fri 24-Jul-20 15:01:41

signed and forwarded

Greeneyedgirl Fri 24-Jul-20 13:06:27

Thanks for link.
It’s too late once it’s gone!

MaizieD Fri 24-Jul-20 11:29:43

Signed and shared. Thanks trisher

lemongrove Fri 24-Jul-20 11:22:45

growstuff Nobody can be dead twice, once is enough, even for you?.....I know what you mean though.

maddyone Fri 24-Jul-20 11:17:12

growstuff grin

growstuff Fri 24-Jul-20 11:05:32

I'd be dead twice without the NHS.

Well, I guess they could have saved on the second treatment, if they'd let me die first time round.

maddyone Fri 24-Jul-20 10:54:28

Signed.

maddyone Fri 24-Jul-20 10:52:59

Bluecat
Good post. I love our NHS. It has looked after my family and saved lives several times. About eighteen years ago I was extremely ill with C.Diff. Without the NHS I would have died. That’s not the only time the NHS were there for our family by any means. Two of my children were in NICU after birth. That’s just two examples, I know you will all have your own stories.
Thank you for the link trisher. I will sign.

trisher Fri 24-Jul-20 10:45:12

There is a petition to the H of Lords asking them to support the amendment weownit.org.uk/lords-NHS-trade-bill-petition

nipsmum Thu 23-Jul-20 11:01:38

Its what you get if you vote in a Tory government.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 23-Jul-20 09:40:26

Privatisation started during Thatcher’s time as MaizieD has posted and I was working in the NHS so remember it well.

It was obviously an ideological aim to weaken the power of the unions, and transfer public funded services into the hands of profit making companies, with cost not quality being the main consideration.

It was quickly apparent after transfer of the in house cleaning contracts, that standards rapidly deteriorated, and this trajectory has continued with the subsequent transfer of many individual health services. There doesn’t seem to be any over all accountability, and private companies can just walk away if they find they are not making money.

Many are quite in ignorance of what services are now in private hands, they often display the logo Working together the NHS or similar.

The Tory ideology is opposed to a National Health Service and has been from the outset. Now that they have a huge majority I hold no hope that their long held ambition will not be realised.

Linda369 Thu 23-Jul-20 09:01:58

There are many within the Tory party who have openly advocated a privatised health service for the UK, including Dominic Raab and Priti Patel. Brexit will be so expensive for us so best not travel or get ill from now on. Putin wanted to destabilise the EU and chose little old us to help him achieve his aim. We are walking into a catastrophe.

MaizieD Wed 22-Jul-20 20:59:55

And why does it matter who privatised what in the past.

I think it matters, trisher because letting it stand without correction leads to a situation where the truth doesn't seem to matter and people will swallow, and repeat, untruths that speaks to their biases.

Bluecat Wed 22-Jul-20 20:46:09

I am both depressed and angry about what is happening to the NHS. A strange combination of emotions but the only way to describe the way I feel.

The Tories have no ideological commitment to the NHS. They have starved it of cash for years and they would like to see it broken up and its services sold off to private companies. Now they have a huge majority and can do what they like.

My greatest fear is that we'll end up with a US style health care system - a system responsible for two thirds of US bankruptcies. My DGS had an accident earlier this year and needed an operation to repair 2 tendons in his hand. He is currently covered by his dad's insurance, although he won't be when he reaches his next birthday, and they are hoping that it will cover the cost of the operation. You don't know in advance. If they refuse, his mum and dad will be looking at a bill for thousands of dollars. Maybe around 30,000 dollars. He works and will try to contribute something but, realistically, they will have to pay it. Even good insurance like their's isn't dependable, and if you get very ill with no insurance you are ruined.

Everything is so expensive. 3,000 dollars for 3 stitches when my DGD got bitten by a dog at work. 50 dollars for a tube of cream on prescription. My DD says that, if there is an accident in the street, no-one wants to call an ambulance because it costs 1,000 dollars and they don't want to be the one with the bill.

I hope we never see that system over here, but I feel like it's inching closer. I truly believe that the NHS is our greatest national treasure and we should protect and cherish it. Unfortunately, we have put it in the hands of a corrupt and uncaring set of people who would sell their own grannies for sixpence.

trisher Wed 22-Jul-20 20:24:49

And why does it matter who privatised what in the past. Stopping privatisation was promised by Labour, Boris &co never said anything although they do keep saying the NHS won't be on the table in trade deals, which makes you wonder why didn't they just let this amendment go through? You only stop something if you think it might cause bother for you.

varian Wed 22-Jul-20 20:22:18

I have long thought that the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation was now under orders from the Vote Leave government, so I wasn't surprised that they did not report this disgraceful vote.

The Tory lobby fodder voted away Parliament's right to protect the NHS.

Utterly disgraceful - and shame on the BBC for not considering it newsworthy.

MaizieD Wed 22-Jul-20 19:57:36

Some real Tory bashing going on here but the truth is that it was Tony Blair's Labour government that started privatising parts of the NHS.

It wasn't. 'Hotel services' were privatised under Thatcher.

You'll find it in here: www.counterfire.org/articles/analysis/16852-the-great-nhs-swindle

growstuff Wed 22-Jul-20 19:44:38

MayBee70

growstuff: I knew I’d got the wrong word but the right one wouldn’t appear in my brain!

grin I have too many moments like that these days!

The thing is there's a difference. A knighthood just means you can call yourself "Sir" or "Lady". A peerage means you get to float about in ermine, can claim expenses and, crucially, can vote in the House of Lords.

stewaris Wed 22-Jul-20 19:31:13

Some real Tory bashing going on here but the truth is that it was Tony Blair's Labour government that started privatising parts of the NHS. The Tories have just gone on with what Labour started and before anyone says anything I'm not a Tory and my father was a staunch trade unionist when he was alive.. Look it up if you don't believe me. Actually I'm not anything these days as I generally go into the ballot box with 'I can't vote for you or you or you. Sometimes I've been left with the equivalent of the Raving Loony Party.

Hemelbelle Wed 22-Jul-20 18:58:09

God help us if we go down the private route with obscene amounts spent deciding if your insurance covers a procedure and profit for share holders / insurance companies added on. The American system is so inefficient and expensive. The annual insurance bill can be in the region of £10,000, more if you want a higher level of cover. Although it is often paid by your employer, the excess can run into thousands and what if you lose your job. I could go on. Anyone who has pet insurance will know how brilliant the NHS is, as well as how costs rise once insurance enters the equation. Did the people who voted Tory know what they were voting for?

trisher Wed 22-Jul-20 18:22:46

Perhaps because the right wing media prefer to ignore nything which might make this government unpopular?

Quaver22 Wed 22-Jul-20 14:30:12

I read about this vote on line I but haven’t heard anything about it on the BBC or other news channels. I didn’t see anything about it in my newspaper either. It is such an important issue why isn’t it being more widely reported?

Tinydancer Wed 22-Jul-20 14:13:40

Whitewavemark2

So all amendments were voted down by the Tories.

no protection for the NHS

no protection for food standards

no parliamentary scrutiny of trade deals

It is a living nightmare

Whitewavemark2 You are rightl and it's frightening. Trump and the US healthcare system cant wait to get their hands on the NHS and this was totally obvious to everyone before the last election. Yes even the Tory and Johnson supporters but they just don't care or think ill health will never happen to them.
I've seen the documentary where desperate people in the USA have to queue up at huge sports arenas and are treated alongside everyone else for dentistry and medical treatment like a third world country. It will be happening here soon too. After Brexit jobs are going to be even more scarce than they are now. You Tory voters knew Johnson was a liar and had a terrible reputation but you seem to think he will look after you. He wont and now you have the evidence in black and white. Even the DUP voted in favour of protecting the NHS and our food standards and they dont come more extreme right than that party.
Our children and grandchildren have been sold down the river of Cummings/Johnson Brexit. So please NEVER vote Tory again, ever. Unless you like inflicting pain and hardship on yourself and others.

NannyC1 Wed 22-Jul-20 12:08:16

ladymuck
"Cheap foreign labour" Oh you mean the same ones who gave their lives during this covid pandemic. The same ones work just as hard as the local staff. Also the same staff who had to be recruited from abroad because people in this country don't want the job.
I find your comment disgusting.