Gransnet forums

News & politics

Teachers more worthy than doctors?

(299 Posts)
Ellianne Tue 21-Jul-20 18:34:27

Teachers are to receive an average 3.1% percent pay rise
doctors 2.8%
and police 2.5%
I'm not discussing here the ins and outs of each individual job, but the discrepancy in how each profession has been rewarded differently, (unfairly), for its performance during the covid crisis. Haven't doctors put their lives on the line during the past 4 months?

Lucca Sat 25-Jul-20 09:04:15

Iam64

janeainsworth, that Vine tweet confirms he isn't the "BBC leftie" some people seem to think he is.
I'm less bothered by his politics than by his sneery approach to people who appear on his 12-2 radio programme. He's rude and sarcastic with his guests, and with his listeners. I wish the BBC would get rid of him. Venessa Feltz is a much better presenter of the mid day show. She encourages people to express themselves whatever side of the debate they are.

Ive never listened to Mr Vine but thought that tweet was appalling from a journalist. I have a friend who listens /(watches ? Can’t remember) to him and often ends up nearly throwing things at the ?

Iam64 Sat 25-Jul-20 09:30:02

Lucca - I am often either in the kitchen or driving at 12, so tend to listen to see which topical issues he's covering. I didn't see the tweet and turned the radio off because he was so rude about the subject and to anyone who phoned/spoke on the issue. Friends who were at a dinner where he was the speaker said he was very rude about the listeners to that particular show he presents.

janeainsworth Sat 25-Jul-20 10:12:00

Friends who were at a dinner where he was the speaker said he was very rude about the listeners to that particular show he presents.
Hubris! Let’s hope it backfires on him, Iam

EMMF1948 Sat 25-Jul-20 10:17:34

The teachers' award is to be funded out of exisiting monies, there is no new money for it and at least one school with which I am acquainted is looking to make 2 teachers redundant to finace it!

blondenana Sat 25-Jul-20 10:40:40

I don't think teachers should get a payrise either,i have worked with teachers and they get lots of time off in general,
The ones i worked with had plenty of holidays, and yes i know they mark homework etc, but still, i think the nurses and hospital Drs deserve it more
They were the ones putting their lives on the line and sometimes dying for it,
I don't know of any teachers who have diedthrough this pandemic

Chardy Sat 25-Jul-20 11:09:47

Oh Blondenana, really?
Six weeks into lockdown 65 school deaths in UK
schoolsweek.co.uk/ons-figures-reveal-65-covid-related-deaths-in-education/
That was May 11, so stats were a week out of date?
I tried to keep up with it, but no-one else seemed to be collecting the data in that way after beginning of May

growstuff Sat 25-Jul-20 12:03:14

blondenana

I don't think teachers should get a payrise either,i have worked with teachers and they get lots of time off in general,
The ones i worked with had plenty of holidays, and yes i know they mark homework etc, but still, i think the nurses and hospital Drs deserve it more
They were the ones putting their lives on the line and sometimes dying for it,
I don't know of any teachers who have diedthrough this pandemic

The pay award wasn't about "rewarding" people for heroism during the pandemic. Nurses and junior doctors are at a different point in their pay award cycle.

Lucca Sat 25-Jul-20 12:16:49

Ok so I just saw a copy of the report for granddaughter . She went back into school just for the last day. Prior to that obviously she had started school in September 2019 and attended until lockdown. The report was lengthy and detailed , and absolutely summarised her personality to a T.
That’s why I get mad about teacher bashing.

Lucca Sat 25-Jul-20 12:18:45

Incidentally the first sentence mentioned how she liked to work in a group of friends and take charge of organising.....myDIL said “oh yes got a bit of her granny in her !”

Sueki44 Sat 25-Jul-20 12:29:10

Teachers are the ones who will have to pick up the pieces in September. It was bad enough after six weeks holiday: many pupils had lost all social skills. Imagine what it’s going to be like after pupils have had six months of playing computer games etc. These days teachers have few sanctions and often parents want to be their children’s friends rather than uphold any discipline. Teachers are expected to hold sway by sheer charisma! No wonder schools can’t attract teachers or retain them.

Furret Sat 25-Jul-20 13:15:58

In my experience teacher bashers don’t just bash teachers but other professions too. Bitter.

janeainsworth Sat 25-Jul-20 17:32:34

Lucca Incidentally the first sentence mentioned how she liked to work in a group of friends and take charge of organising.....myDIL said “oh yes got a bit of her granny in her !” grin

Furret tell me about it. I used to be a dentist. ?

Iam64 Sat 25-Jul-20 19:20:58

Lucca - love your granddaughter's detailed report.

We have also had the school reports for our 4 and 5 year old grandchildren forwarded to us. So detailed and as you said, so very accurate. The pictures painted by the form teachers described our grandchildren so well and with such warmth.

Furret, I just saw your post "In my experience teacher bashers don't just bash teachers but other professions too. Bitter".
I agree with you. Some folks love a moan. I wonder what happiness, joy or positivity they have in their lives.

lemongrove Sat 25-Jul-20 19:42:26

janeainsworth.....errr, since you are here, could you take a look at this back molar please??

MissAdventure Sat 25-Jul-20 19:47:34

And fix my denture?
Been walking around with half in - thank gawd for masks!

janeainsworth Sat 25-Jul-20 20:33:11

Noooooooo!
I’m not at work now!
Thank goodness! grin

blondenana Sun 26-Jul-20 10:47:08

Are GPs included in these pay rises,i can't see why they can't see patients now,it's all triage, my sons really need to have their usual treatment at the hospital, which is probably every month, for blood taken to keep them from having strokes etc [genetic illness]
One of them has had 3 mini strokes in the last few months
What about cancer patients, or suspected cancer,how can it be diagnosed if not able to see a GP for checks
Even when we ring the surgey it is a receptionist who asks all the questions and will get a Dr to ring you back, but they don't know all your medical history

blondenana Sun 26-Jul-20 11:13:53

Chardy apologies obviously wasn't well reported then, but i still say no pay rise for teachers ,sorry

annodomini Sun 26-Jul-20 11:18:12

GPs are not included in the pay rise because they are not public servants in that they do not receive salaries from Government. They work under contracts. Police and teachers (except those in private schools) are public servants.

maddyone Sun 26-Jul-20 12:04:41

blondenana
My daughter and her husband are GPs. They have been working long, very much increased hours throughout the pandemic. They do phone consultations, video consultations, and face to face consultations, wearing PPE of course. They do home visits, wearing PPE, and care home visits, wearing PPE, and they give palliative care to Covid19 patients and other dying patients in care homes and in the community. GPs have never stopped working or seeing patients, and in fact they had any holiday cancelled during the worst of the crisis. Some GPs chose to work in the hospitals and some GPs became infected with Covid19, from their patients, and some of them died.
Please stop indicating that GPs are just sitting by a telephone all day and not looking after their patients responsibly.
Of course a receptionist asks you about the problem at this time, but the doctor decides on how to proceed from the information you give. You will be dealt with in the safest way for yourself, the other patients, and the practice staff.

Nanatoone Tue 04-Aug-20 22:14:01

My daughter is head of English in. Secondary school with children 5 and 18 months. Apart from attending school to look after other key workers children, she has worked throughout this crisis with a baby on her knee and a little one needing care. How dare you refer to them as lazy. Those in nursery or tiny children’s education may have had an easier life but not the seniors. The constant teacher bashing will be the end of my daughter’s career, a first class degree and working crazy hours despite the media reports. People saying such horrible and nasty things On this site should hang their heads in shame, they have no idea. Gillybob I’ve worked in both sectors and cannot bear that attitude, one sector cannot work without the other, be kind.

Lucca Tue 04-Aug-20 22:34:03

Hear hear . Spot on.

Annapops Tue 04-Aug-20 23:03:00

My daughter too. I am so worried about the return in September. My dd has worked throughout lockdown at school and home and also taught her own children. What knowledge do these people have who so readily complain? My daughter is so eager to get back and educate the children who are our future safely.