Gransnet forums

News & politics

Teachers more worthy than doctors?

(299 Posts)
Ellianne Tue 21-Jul-20 18:34:27

Teachers are to receive an average 3.1% percent pay rise
doctors 2.8%
and police 2.5%
I'm not discussing here the ins and outs of each individual job, but the discrepancy in how each profession has been rewarded differently, (unfairly), for its performance during the covid crisis. Haven't doctors put their lives on the line during the past 4 months?

J52 Tue 21-Jul-20 22:14:39

Without public services everyone would have to pay for private education, private health services and there would be no social housing or social services.

merlotgran Tue 21-Jul-20 22:19:21

Only three, gilly? Have another wine on me. grin

I'm a retired teacher although it wasn't my original career path and the mother of a teacher who worked very hard throughout Lockdown either remote teaching or going in to teach key workers' children.

It's not a bed of roses and I'm not being touchy. I have also run my own business during a recession so I know how hard it is.

gillybob Tue 21-Jul-20 22:21:12

Education ? What education ? My DGC haven’t seen a school for almost 5 months .

NHS ? What NHS my DH has been seriously ill and in need of an operation for 2 years now.

Mind you the executives in our LA are doing very well thank you very much .

gillybob Tue 21-Jul-20 22:25:00

You know what merlot I could’ve drank 3 bleedin’ bottles the day I have had today . But I’ve got to go to that sh*t hole of a place again tomorrow and be treat like the sh*t on the shoes of the HMRC or whoever chooses to use me as a punchball again tomorrow .

I’m just trying my best to keep 3 good lads in jobs like I’ve done for 26 god forsaken years . Pay rise ? Don’t make me laugh. Regular pay would be nice .

Sorry for the crazy ranting but I really can’t take much more.

Casdon Tue 21-Jul-20 22:33:44

Gillybob you’re right, some people do need to get a grip. I will say no more.

rafichagran Tue 21-Jul-20 22:40:57

Gillybob You really seem bitter and angry, I am one of the people that went into work during lockdown, I am also one if the people that got the 2.5 pay rise, and you know what I bloody deserve it.
I know life is hard for you but its hard for others, so stop being so nasty. I too am waiting to see a consultant about a health condition, but I do not begrudge Doctors their 2.8 pay rise.

maddyone Tue 21-Jul-20 23:56:37

The doctors deserve a pay rise. They have put their lives on the line for every one of us through this crisis. Over 500 medics have died from Covid19. Credit where credit is due. I don’t care who pays their taxes, they deserve recognition and reward.

janipat Wed 22-Jul-20 00:16:46

And I'll wade in for the police! My son has had rest days and leave cancelled at a whim since he joined 20 years ago. Has lost ££££ on cancelled leisure bookings, holidays etc Tell me who else gets their leave cancelled at a moments notice with no recompense for wasted bookings? Also have midwives and nurses in my family, they've all had frozen wages for too many years. When the shit hits the fan the police run towards trouble, the medics mop up the after effects. They deserve a rise.

vegansrock Wed 22-Jul-20 07:38:13

There are a lot of fat cat private contractors whose money comes off the back of the public sector ( usually friends of the government) - think Serco, Capita, the two sectors are intertwined not separate. Those companies that supply the NHS, schools etc are creaming off a fortune. It’s all cronyism and corruption. Don’t just bash teachers, nurses etc. If teaching and nursing were such a doddle there wouldn’t be a huge recruitment crisis would there?

loopyloo Wed 22-Jul-20 07:56:41

And the nurses? Well they are usually women so not so important?

Ellianne Wed 22-Jul-20 07:58:51

This wasn't meant to be another teacher bashing thread, I was a teacher myself but in the private sector. What I was getting at was the disparity amongst the pay rises awarded to the different professions, or not at all, as some of you have rightly pointed out.

When there is a big enquiry into all of this, when in 10 years time the country is still picking up the financial cost, when in 10 years time we will know which sectors were the most productive, then that would be the time for pay rises and rewards. I just can't understand why teachers are to receive more than the nurses, midwives, doctors, police etc. mentioned above, when since March they haven't had to set foot outside and subject themselves to any dangers at all. Maybe the high pay rise should have been just for those teachers who actually went into school to look after the children of key workers. They were really the ones who really kept the country running, more so than the others.
The backlash will be huge.

Ellianne Wed 22-Jul-20 08:04:51

gillybob I hope in some way your "crazy ranting" here found sympathetic ears. I do understand, and have been there myself. Sometimes you just wish other people could see things from a different perspective and not have such a blinkered, self entitled view.
I hope you have a good day in some way.

Grandma70s Wed 22-Jul-20 08:13:11

Without teachers there would be no doctors.

gillybob Wed 22-Jul-20 08:19:40

Just want to say I’m sorry if I upset anyone last night . I’m just not in a good place right now.

I stand by my beliefs that the country cannot afford pay rises for the public sector but I realise that GN is probably made of of 90% ex public sector so clearly wasting my time there.

Have a good day everyone smile

Ellianne Wed 22-Jul-20 08:20:26

Without teachers there would be no doctors.
But once again, Grandma70s that kind of comment serves to put teachers above everyone else. Grrrr. I just wish they could come off their pedestal and stop the superiority.

Unless, of course, you meant it in a light hearted way.

Ellianne Wed 22-Jul-20 08:23:15

smile flowers gilly
I am in the GN 10% holding your hand on this one. It is all so complicated.

Lucca Wed 22-Jul-20 08:25:25

I think it would be easier to take the comments about an apparent disparity in teachers vs other sectors pay rise if there were not comments about teachers having done nothing for three months. who went into schools to teacher key workers children, ? as far as I know all teachers took a turn at doing that as well as obviously doing remote teaching.

Lucca Wed 22-Jul-20 08:26:07

Plus pay has been frozen for nigh on a decade....

Lucca Wed 22-Jul-20 08:27:05

Gilly, I am however very saddened to read about the troubles you are having

vegansrock Wed 22-Jul-20 08:27:16

The government knows there is a recruitment crisis in teaching - a huge drop out rate- and schools will have difficulty in getting children back into school full time without them. All those moaners who think its an easy job should give it a go.

Orangerose Wed 22-Jul-20 08:48:23

Well Lucca I will make whatever comments I like on a public forum. The teacher next door to me did bugger all for 3 months and boasted to me how little she was doing. Now, I realise there are some good and dutiful teachers around but my neighbour is not one of them. The remote teaching my grand daughter received from her school was a once a week lesson in an email. She has had most of her home schooling from her parents and resources online.

growstuff Wed 22-Jul-20 08:57:38

The reason there is a disparity in pay awards is because pay is decided by different award bodies, who sit independently and decide on pay rises. I don't know for sure what criteria were used for teachers, but I suspect it will be parity with other professions requiring similar qualifications, the absence of pay awards in the past and the ongoing recruitment and retention crisis. Other jobs in the public sector have their own criteria.

I am quite disgusted that a former teacher can claim that teachers haven't been required to set foot outside their front door during this pandemic. Unless shielding, every single current serving teacher I know (and I suspect I know more than the poster) has been required to deliver some form of online teaching, to go into school to deliver face-to-face lessons for eligible pupils and prepare the school building physically for September and has had to participate in curriculum planning and assessments. In the case of GCSE and A level teachers, a huge amount of extra work was generated.

Like everybody else, many teachers have their own children and have had to try and teach them at home too.

The pay award has nothing to do with "rewarding" teachers for work during the pandemic.

growstuff Wed 22-Jul-20 08:59:40

Orangerose

Well Lucca I will make whatever comments I like on a public forum. The teacher next door to me did bugger all for 3 months and boasted to me how little she was doing. Now, I realise there are some good and dutiful teachers around but my neighbour is not one of them. The remote teaching my grand daughter received from her school was a once a week lesson in an email. She has had most of her home schooling from her parents and resources online.

If true (and it wasn't just bravado) your neighbour is lazy and your granddaughter unfortunate. What kind of work was in the email?

growstuff Wed 22-Jul-20 09:00:36

Ellianne

^Without teachers there would be no doctors.^
But once again, Grandma70s that kind of comment serves to put teachers above everyone else. Grrrr. I just wish they could come off their pedestal and stop the superiority.

Unless, of course, you meant it in a light hearted way.

It's true though.

Humbertbear Wed 22-Jul-20 09:02:16

Deedaa

Of course teachers have been at work PinkCakes My SIL has been teaching on line ever since March and will now spend the summer "holiday" trying to sort out classes and syllabuses for September. My next door neighbour is in the same position. You may not realise it but they work through a lot of the holidays anyway. Work doesn't finish because the school has shut. They are also very poorly paid for what they do.

I couldn’t agree more. My son is exhausted. He has taught all day, every day online as well as being Literacy coordinator across a large Primary school and had to supervise his own three children as well, when they go back in September there will be no team planning, due to keeping in their bubbles. I had hoped that after a term of home schooling people would be more understanding of the teacher’s role and importance in their children’s lives