Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why did Starmer settle out of court Give a grovelling apology and pay out six figure sum?

(236 Posts)
Grany Sat 25-Jul-20 19:20:30

The former Director of Public Prosecutions ignored the legal advice and made a political (personal) decision to make the apology and fork out members money with over a six-figure payout to the so-called whistleblowers. labourheartlands.com/sir-keir-starmer-gives-a-grovelling-apology-and-a-bung-to-those-that-worked-hardest-to-harm-the-labour-party/?fbclid=IwAR0Z01sabF3Mm5j2a4G1UD5Oc_d6msF5CfnCtXGpa1urvoMW62udxQLW45c

Carole Morgan is organising this fundraiser.
It is reported that John Ware a reporter for Panorama is taking legal action for libel against former Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn. The relentless attacks on Mr Corbyn, a man of integrity, honesty and humility cannot be allowed to continue and we have an opportunity here to offer him support in a practical way. It will also let him know that his supporters have not forgotten him, nor have they gone away.

A Go Fund Me for Mr Corbyn has raised a quarter of a million so far in just a few days.

www.gofundme.com/f/47gyy-jeremy039s-legal-fund?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet

A study from Loughborough University has shone a light on how the media joined together to rig the election in favour of Boris Johnson and his Conservative Party, and against Jeremy Corbyn.
bywire.news/articles/revealed-how-the-media-rigged-the-general-election

Starmer is now the Labour leader but is he Establishment a red Tory?
Lots of young people have left Labour and given their reasons They knew what Corbyn stood for What does Starmer stand for?

growstuff Mon 03-Aug-20 23:32:29

Quite frankly Grandad I find you beyond parody.

growstuff Mon 03-Aug-20 23:33:53

trisher

Looking at Grany's original post the legal fund for JC which wanted to raise £20000 now stands at over £300,000. Carol Morgan who started the fund is also promoting a new organisation called Truth Defence www.truthdefence.org/blank. It is concerned about legal actions undertaken for political reasons. It says We are equally concerned by cases where civil litigation procedures and the principles of natural justice are apparently undermined for politically motivated purposes
So perhaps there is hope that some sort of justice can be found, because Starmer paying out all that money really has nothing to do with justice or truth.

I think you would have to take that up with Starmer. I think maybe he has some idea of truth and justice.

trisher Tue 04-Aug-20 01:05:23

growstuff even Starmer admits it was just to draw a line under anti-semitism

Grandad1943 Tue 04-Aug-20 06:59:07

trisher

growstuff even Starmer admits it was just to draw a line under anti-semitism

You are perfectly correct in what Starmer has stated in regard to the payment trisher. However, the Parliamentary Labour party still has to face the forthcoming Race & Equality Commission report and the internal report on the leaked antisemitism documents.

It may well be that the high settlement and apologies he has given to the so-called "BBC Whistleblowers" will affect what little defence the Labour Party has in regard to the claims and prosecutions that will undoubtedly follow the release of those reports.

The above was exactly what Len McCluskey was referring to in his weekend interviews with the media when he stated, "It’s as though a huge sign has been put up outside the Labour party with ‘queue here for your writ and get your payment over there".

Never has more true words been spoken.

Grandad1943 Tue 04-Aug-20 07:28:29

Deb we are expecting to be part of the over 50s Covid-19 lockdown within the next few weeks or even days. Therefore, could you plan to plate us up a Christmas Dinner and drop it over to us.

Christmas Eve would be OK for the delivery of the lunch as we could then warm it up in the microwave on Chrismas Day. ???

Grandad1943 Tue 04-Aug-20 07:31:22

Apologies my above post was jokingly meant to be for our family WhatsApp group. ??

Grany Tue 04-Aug-20 07:35:45

Yes trisher this new organisation Truth Defence is a good thing promoting honesty and integrity in public life. Yes we all need to know the truth in politics and media.

We are a collective of activists, lawyers, creatives, journalists, academics and citizens concerned about the spread of disinformation online, in traditional media, and in political advertising and campaigning.

We are seeking to raise funds with a view to launching various actions and projects aimed at resisting such injustices, strengthening the democratic accountability of media and political institutions, and promoting a culture of honesty and integrity in public life.

Grany Tue 04-Aug-20 07:49:53

That's funny Grandad1943 Gave us a laugh anyway ?

trisher Tue 04-Aug-20 10:30:28

I was hoping someone was offering Christmas Dinners Grany I'm very disappointed sad

Grany Tue 04-Aug-20 11:00:45

Ha Ha yes I was too would be so convenient to have Christmas dinners delivered oh well cheers wine smile