Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tommy Robinson flees to Spain as an asylum seeker ... Edited by GNHQ

(68 Posts)
biba70 Wed 29-Jul-20 12:02:37

oh the irony, the number of Brexiters seeking to run off to the sun in the EU to escape the ravages of Brexit. Makes me quite angry and I do hope he is turned down for residency.

welbeck Wed 29-Jul-20 18:55:42

i think we are still allowed to move about the EU until the end of the year.
since his real name is irish, quite likely he had one grandparent born in ireland, so he can apply for irish passport to keep EU privileges. can be dual national.

but only essential travellers should go to spain at the moment, govt advice, invalidates insurance.
maybe that's why he's presenting himself as persecuted.

Chewbacca Wed 29-Jul-20 19:05:30

maybe that's why he's presenting himself as persecuted.

Well if anyone should know about persecution, it's him. He's done enough of it.

janeainsworth Wed 29-Jul-20 19:19:07

Article in the Indy www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/voices/tommy-robinson-spain-far-right-racist-family-a9644086.html%3famp

MayBee70 Wed 29-Jul-20 19:30:31

Why do so many of the people who supported brexit have dual nationality?

vegansrock Wed 29-Jul-20 19:30:55

Let’s hope they send him back in a €20 dinghy.

vegansrock Wed 29-Jul-20 19:33:02

Why do so many of the people who supported brexit have dual nationality?
And why do so many have non British wives/ girlfriends?

varian Wed 29-Jul-20 20:06:50

Especially Russians

varian Wed 29-Jul-20 20:09:45

In 2001 Banks married Russian Ekaterina Paderina,

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arron_Banks

Russians Offered Business Deals to Brexit’s Biggest Backer

www.nytimes.com/2018/06/29/world/europe/russia-britain-brexit-arron-banks.html

biba70 Wed 29-Jul-20 21:03:27

'And I still haven't found out why Tommy Robinson is seeking asylum.
biba70,

sorry been out all day and had visitors tonight. It was tongue and cheek, of course. He has been vociforous against asylum seekers, fleeing dangerous situation and findind a safe place for themselves and their family. So he is an asylum seeker- in his way- and has been fighting very hard, and often illegally- to stop foreigners from coming here and searching for a better, safer life- and to stop us Brits from going to live abroad - and then does just the very same.

biba70 Wed 29-Jul-20 21:48:37

Someone here admits to :

I am a supporter of Tommy. I find this so hard to take as he is a dangerous fascist and multi criminal. Spain should automatically turn him down due to this alone.

biba70 Wed 29-Jul-20 21:50:19

Robinson's criminal record includes convictions for violence, financial and immigration frauds, drug possession and public order offences. He has been committed to prison for contempt of court.[30][31][32] He has served at least four separate terms of imprisonment: in 2005 for assault, in 2012 for using false travel documents to enter the United States, in 2014 for mortgage fraud,[10][14][33] and, in May 2018, Robinson was committed to prison for 13 months for contempt of court after publishing a Facebook Live video of defendants entering a law court, contravening a court order that disallows reporting on such trials while proceedings are ongoing. He served part of his sentence at HM Prison Hull in Kingston upon Hull before being transferred to HM Prison Onley in Warwickshire. On 1 August 2018, due to procedural errors, he was released on bail pending a new hearing of the case.[34] On 5 July 2019, Robinson was again found guilty of contempt of court at the retrial and was committed at the Old Bailey to nine months in prison on 11 July․[35][36] Before his sentencing, Robinson appeared on InfoWars and appealed for political asylum in the United States.

GagaJo Wed 29-Jul-20 22:56:51

growstuff

varian

We are always being told there are no right wing extremists on GN, but I don't know what else I would call someone who claims to be a suppporter of Tommy Robinson.

I can think of loads, but my posts would be deleted.

Haha, growstuff!

His children have apparently been accepted into a school there. It must be a private school, because I doubt they speak Spanish. I can only imagine how the other parents will feel when they realise they have the children of a nazi in their exclusive school (and I speak as one who has worked in a private Spanish school - parents are very sniffy about minor 'black' marks (pun intended) ), let alone a dangerous, criminal thug father.

biba70 Thu 30-Jul-20 09:32:29

I feel sorry for his kids - they can't be responsible for their father's fascist, neo-nazi views ad despicable racist actions. Perhaps not so sorry for his wife, as she probably has similar views (I mean, no-one could live with someone like him unless they did) - but the kids of true asylum seekers are being persecuted by the likes of him, separated from their families, kept in fenced compounds in appalling conditions. So I do hope the Spanish to do make him feel welcome, and give hime a tiny weeny bit of his own medicine.

But to have someone here saying clearly that they support him and his views- is truly shocking.

MaizieD Thu 30-Jul-20 09:47:32

But to have someone here saying clearly that they support him and his views- is truly shocking.

I think we have to be very thankful that it is only one person; that no-one rushed to agree with them. There may have been a lot more on other social media...

GagaJo Thu 30-Jul-20 12:05:27

Callistemon

It's a but sensationalist.

He's moving here under the rules of the transition period and hoping to get Spanish nationality before 31st January 2021.

Please, please, Spain, say yes. ?

He'll be lucky. Spanish bureaucracy is worse than British bureaucracy. Took me 6 months to get my NIE card, and that was just to entitle me to work there, despite me being British/European AND my employer handling all of the paperwork and administration. Not to mention, 'thug' isn't much of an occupation, is it?

I expect he'll be back at some point, with a flea in his ear. More's the pity.

GagaJo Thu 30-Jul-20 12:07:56

I had someone looking to rent a house in my area contact me when I was going to work overseas a while ago. I looked at his Facebook profile, only to see public support for TR.

Not in a million years would I inflict that type of character on my poor neighbours.

trisher Thu 30-Jul-20 12:12:51

I do wonder though, Spain has in the past had right wing groups (even a government) and is it possible that he already has connections and supporters there? I know some areas of Spain were strongly left wing and some were right wing. Is he seeking to live in an area where he thinks his ideas will be regarded as more acceptable?