Gransnet forums

News & politics

Does feminism mean the same now as it did in the 60's and 70's?

(186 Posts)
Dinahmo Thu 30-Jul-20 14:24:37

Being the eldest of 4 with two younger brothers, feminism didn't enter into my head until I started work in 1966. At home we were all treated equally as regards schools, housework and pocket money. I had dolls but I also had "boys toys" such as a house building kit complete with blue prints and proper little bricks. I also had a large tin of my dad's meccano.

We went to state schools, unlike a friend whose brothers went to private school and she went to a grammar school. I think her mother thought that education was a waste for girls because they got married and had babies hence the state school. Over the years I've heard that from many friends. The head mistress of my friend's school had to persuade her mother to let her stay on at school for the 6th form. Then my friend wanted to become an accountant - heaven forfend! In those days you had to pay a fee in order to become an articled clerk. Luckily her father was persuaded to pay.

My father was very keen for me to go to uni but I just wanted to live in London and earn my own money. So, I got a job with an insurance company and I think that's when I first learned about inequality between men and women. I was doing the same work as the young men, studying for the insurance exams, just like them and that was when I found out that they were earning more than me.

The older men used to criticise my hair style. I used to go to Vidal Sassoon and the men used to ask when was I going to get a grownup hairstyle, ie a perm.

In 1970 I worked in the Chairman's department of the Electricity Council. How many of you remember Stirling Cooper? I had a couple of their outfits - jersey dresses with matching trousers which I wore for work. Until I was told we weren't allowed to wear trousers in the office. Being the type of person who used to splash the back of her legs when walking in the rain, I wasn't happy about that and so wore the trousers to work and took them off once I'd arrived in the building.

After that I worked for very small firms and eventually went into articles in the mid 70s. At that point the annual female intake was just 3% of the total but I was treated equally with the men and the salary was the same for the same level.

Thus, for the whole of my working life I don't think that I've suffered from inequality and I would consider myself to be a feminist. I'm aware that many women, especially those in more lower paid jobs don't always get paid the same as men who do the equivalent work.

When I read or hear young women talking about feminism now it doesn't seem like the same subject. When I hear of the things that some female undergrads get up to - pole dancing and going topless in bars I just don't get it. They seem to think that makes feminists.

Now it's over to you and I'm interested to hear your experiences.

growstuff Tue 04-Aug-20 02:32:12

It's a world of hot air Summerlove hmm

Meanwhile, those of in temperate climes know what it's like and have real life examples ...

Summerlove Tue 04-Aug-20 12:59:44

growstuff

It's a world of hot air Summerlove hmm

Meanwhile, those of in temperate climes know what it's like and have real life examples ...

I’m starting to wonder if unless you’ve experienced certain things you don’t actually believe exist

Galaxy Tue 04-Aug-20 13:50:20

Yes theres a startling lack of empathy.

Iam64 Tue 04-Aug-20 14:08:09

I fear women who identify as feminists are still seen as a Monstrous Regiment grin

growstuff Thu 06-Aug-20 02:34:21

Female doctors in menopause retiring early due to sexism, says study.

www.theguardian.com/society/2020/aug/06/female-doctors-in-menopause-retiring-early-due-to-sexism-says-study

I bet it's not just doctors who are affected.

GagaJo Thu 06-Aug-20 23:37:51

As I know you know Growstuff, teachers too. Very few teachers over 50 in the classroom in the UK. And not all of us want to be management.

Iam64 Fri 07-Aug-20 08:30:56

I once had to drive home after arriving at the venue where I was presenting a course. It was half an hour from home and despite using every protection known to woman my lower clothes were unwearable. Fortunately my co-trainer was able to start the course and I was back an hour and a half later to continue.
My GP was wonderful. He told me I wouldn't put up with any other area of my body bleeding like that and should have called him earlier. Three months of hormone treatment sorted the problem and I didn't need the hysterectomy he'd referred me for.

Fennel Fri 07-Aug-20 13:00:10

I've just come across this thread and haven't read it all but it rings bells with me too.
I'm probably older than most of you - left school at 18 in 1954.
That's when many women were talking about the book The Feminine Mystique by Betty Freidan.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Feminine_Mystique
Although I had grown up in a mostly female family - both sides- my parents wanted both my sister and I to go onto further education. Maybe because it was mostly women who kept the country going during WW2.
Dad had been in the RN and had already trained as a solicitor so I told him I wanted to study Law but he said NO -no-one would go to a female solicitor for advice. But now there are at least as many female solicitors as male .
Same as in medicine. So the feminist movement has achieved a lot. Including equal pay and various benefits.
So I went on to train as a Social worker and later as an Ed. Psych and loved my work.
At first I was the only woman on my courses/jobs but it didn't worry me much except the men's surprise when I had a 'good idea'.
So I'm sad about the modern trend back to women's dependence solely on their physical seduction (?) when we have so many other natural abilities.

Iam64 Sat 08-Aug-20 12:00:32

Fennel - good to see you here.
Have you watched Mrs America? Betty Friedan is played by Tracy Ullman, who is excellent.
It's good to remember how things were when we were younger and how much the women's movement/feminism has contributed to greater equality.
Your dad wasn't alone in believing women could not follow particular careers. My dad was very senior in his chosen career. At 17 I said I'd like to follow in his footsteps. He discouraged me "it's no job for a woman" he said. Twenty years later, he apologised as more and more women were promoted into senior roles. He actually said "I was wrong". Very rare occurrence.
I chose the same career as you and had an interesting, stimulating and rewarding (if challenging) career.

Fennel Sun 09-Aug-20 11:45:35

Iam no - I didn't realise Mrs. America was about Betty Friedan. We don't have tv but watch on iPlayer on the 'puter.
I'll have to have a look.
I read the book and remember feeling inspired by it, though I was never a militant feminist. Unlike my sister who is 10 years yonger than me.
Interesting that your Dad gave the same advice and later apologised. Mine never did, but he was later proud of both me and my sister.