Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Conservative party has morphed into UKIP

(42 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sun 02-Aug-20 11:36:01

Brexit regardless of cost to the country

Admired by the white supreme, Steve Bannon. Bannon helped a Trump gain the presidency, and is now thoroughly approving Cummings, forecasting that the Tory party will lurch to the far right soon.

lemongrove Mon 03-Aug-20 14:09:09

You read that wrongly then Maizie....it was mcem’s
Prose that sounded like a NOTW journalist.
However, I expect at one time or another many representatives of a government, including it’s leader have appeared on the front page of that rag.?

MaizieD Mon 03-Aug-20 13:58:25

Quite extraordinary that some of you seem comfortable with a party whose representatives (including its leader) are suitable material for the front page of the News of the World grin

lemongrove Mon 03-Aug-20 13:27:25

Haha ....your post just reminded me of the kind of stuff that the old News Of The World used to have on the front page mcem ......and gave me a laugh if nothing else.?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 03-Aug-20 13:18:33

More dodgy dealing.

It never stops does it?

Jan Baker “Is everyone aware that Johnson has quietly given Palantir (data-mining company linked to Cambridge Analytica) permission to access our personal health records? He did it apparently on the last day of Parliament so there could be no questions about it.”

Urmstongran Sun 02-Aug-20 23:25:46

Well said lemongrove.
?

mcem Sun 02-Aug-20 23:07:29

Wow lemon!
How very up-to-date you are.
No wonder you try to divert attention from the dodgy morals of your illustrious leaders.

lemongrove Sun 02-Aug-20 22:32:34

You are sounding very like The News Of The World mcem
?

mcem Sun 02-Aug-20 22:29:18

Yet again I am amazed that so many GN are still prepared to support a party of lying, sleazy hypocrites.
Yet more allegations of vile sexual abuse.
Never mind, the no.1 suspect is a rabid brexiteer so no doubt QQ etc al still think he's good bloke.
After all 'getting brexit done' is a higher priority than decency and a sense of morality.

MaizieD Sun 02-Aug-20 20:33:39

Sorry, Spangler. It was absolutely clear right from the very start that the EEC was more than just a trading bloc.

you might find this interesting:

threadreaderapp.com/thread/1160978196805902338.html

It is also absolutely clear that there is not a great deal of appetite in the EU 27 for much 'closer union' and it will never be achieved unless most of them want it.

varian Sun 02-Aug-20 19:47:21

Maybe it would be a good thing if the Conservative Party morphed into UKIP. After all UKIP do not have a single MP.

Lucca Sun 02-Aug-20 19:15:53

quizqueen

I would be very happy if the Tories morphed into the UKIP Party, as I support all their policies, but I would prefer them to be the Brexit Party.

Care to expand Quizqueen ? A bit more detail ?like when I asked why you support Tommy Robinson ? Or Anne Widdecombe ?

flopen Sun 02-Aug-20 19:08:19

Perhaps if Labour provided a decent alternative people would have wanted to vote them in.

Instead, we have the spectacle of Rosie Duffield, a Labour MP who dared to like a tweet that said that women had cervixes. She has been subject to a tirade of abuse and only one Labour MP has supported her. The rest are notable in their absence, including supposedly ballsy Jess Phillips.

It's unheard of for a political party to hold power for so long. And the tories didn't win it, Labour lost it.

varian Sun 02-Aug-20 18:19:37

There is a much deeper division in our country now between the rational and irrational.

Spangler Sun 02-Aug-20 17:39:39

The EU was first known as the European Coal and Steel Community (ECSC), when it was founded in 1952.
Labour Prime Minister Clement Attlee told parliament in 1950 his party was “not prepared to accept the principle that the most vital economic forces of this country should be handed over to an authority that is utterly undemocratic and is responsible to nobody”.

There was also concern it might prejudice close ties with the United States and the Commonwealth group of mainly former territories. Britain also stayed out of the European Economic Community (EEC) when it was formed from the ECSC in 1957.

Britain joined the EEC in 1973 after France dropped its objection’s following de Gaulle’s resignation in 1969.

As he signed the treaty taking Britain into the common market, Conservative Prime Minister Ted Heath said “imagination will be required” to develop its institutions while respecting the individuality of states. Application for membership was not in the manifesto.

In 1975, new Labour Prime Minister Harold Wilson, faced with splits among his ministers on Europe, decided to hold an “in-out” referendum on membership. He backed staying in after saying a renegotiation on terms of membership had “substantially though not completely” achieved his objectives.

Britons voted 67 percent to 33 percent to stay in the Common market in 1975.

Conservative leader Margaret Thatcher backed the campaign to stay in the bloc in 1975, but her party become increasingly divided by the issue and her own relationship with European leaders was tense at times.

She attacked the idea of a single currency and too much power being centralised in EU institutions, telling the then-Commission President Jacques Delors “no, no, no” over his plans for more European integration in 1990.

The ultimate goal for the EU is to create a country called Europe, a United States of Europe, but the leaders of Europe only admitted that in recent years.

If they had been honest from the outset and went about it, little by little, taking perhaps as much as a century, (it took the US longer,) we might not have the full blooded arguments that we now confront, who knows.

Edward Heath and Harold Wilson should have controlled their respective parties better and dealt with the splits. Now, thanks to them, the divisions run deeper still.

MaizieD Sun 02-Aug-20 17:23:14

Message deleted by Gransnet as it quotes a post which has since been deleted. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Aug-20 17:08:38

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Davidhs Sun 02-Aug-20 17:03:21

UKIP never were a party for government, the best they were ever going to do was steal a few marginal seats and hold the largest party to ransome for a few months

Hard right or left with a large majority are always going to invoke whatever policies take their fancy - because they can. With a majority of 80 the Tories will give us a hard Brexit no doubt, that’s what they promised their backers, however there will be deals in some areas. We will know how it’s going to be sometime on October, don’t bank on a last minute deal in December, the EU have not moved at all, I’m not expecting them to.

JonesKpj000 Sun 02-Aug-20 16:18:26

Thank you Lemongrove.

lemongrove Sun 02-Aug-20 16:06:33

JonesKpj000

Good question Whitewave2. I agree with you Maddy One that in some respects it's hard to differentiate between the Far Right and Far Left!
I will mention Brexit as Whitewave mentions it herself in her post. Whatever side of the argument you are on, it was a democratic vote and Leave won. Therefore it should be accepted and we should do our utmost to make it work. We are where we are.
Whether the date should be moved for the transition after the effects of Covid is another matter. As for whether the Tory party are turning into UKIP, I honestly don't know, but I don't think UKIP would of extended furlough like Rishi did. I do think furlough was the right thing to do and I wish all small business the best of luck. I don't think for one moment that our Chancellor will be lurching to the far right soon with or without Cummings influence.

Exactly!??

Urmstongran Sun 02-Aug-20 16:01:17

In the face of harsh criticism I have to admire you quizqueen.

biba70 Sun 02-Aug-20 15:53:17

blimey

quizqueen Sun 02-Aug-20 15:46:48

I would be very happy if the Tories morphed into the UKIP Party, as I support all their policies, but I would prefer them to be the Brexit Party.

biba70 Sun 02-Aug-20 15:45:29

Urmstongran, the Brexit the tiny majority voted for, is not at all the Brexit proposed now- are you really denying this?

And the outside interference, the vast monies given, the lies- now all proven -at just a figment of the far left imagination- is it?

MaizieD Sun 02-Aug-20 15:43:29

GrannyGravy13

MaizieD just because I am a Conservative does not mean that I support all the Government does.

Perhaps, then, you'd like to comment on the handing of enormous amounts of money to Cumming's cronies for contracts for goods/services which they have never before provided and which haven't gone through the usual procurement procedures?

It would be quite reassuring to know that at least one or two tory voters had some sort of principles.

Because at the moment I feel nothing but contempt for most of them.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Aug-20 15:39:17

MaizieD just because I am a Conservative does not mean that I support all the Government does.