Gransnet forums

News & politics

Harper Beckham, a chorus of disapproval.

(104 Posts)
Spangler Mon 10-Aug-20 15:40:58

There's a photo of nine year old Harper Beckham on Instagram: www.instagram.com/p/CDO-V07h5I4/?utm_source=ig_embed showing her out with her parents. According to Instagram users, she's growing up way too fast.

It seems perfectly acceptable to me, but then I see children at dance competitions dressed up like the adults, little girls wearing make-up, small boys in bow ties. Am I being to lenient?

My only concern would be that being on the internet, you don't know who is viewing your child, or what their agenda is.

Spangler Mon 10-Aug-20 17:50:17

Callistemon

^A chorus of disapproval^

Oh dear, not quite the reaction the OP expected.

On the contrary Callistemon, as usual, I have made my post somewhat ambiguous, sorry about that. The disapproval came from those on Instagram, or at least those that MaizieD correctly remarked on: Celeb followers. The general consensus here is that of my own, I'm pleased to say.

I've had a couple of texts from friends in our social group who say something to the effect of: "If those on Instagram were to see the children at dance competitions they would probably be frothing at the mouth."

Not having children and therefore, grandchildren, I was interested to see the opinions of Gransnetters. Thank you for responding.

MawB Mon 10-Aug-20 18:06:29

I think she looks lovely but hey let’s not risk anybody thinking anyone on GransNet might not be a fuddy duddy.

Let go of those pearls Spangler and leave it up to her parents.

merlotgran Mon 10-Aug-20 18:07:47

Lovely photo.

rafichagran Mon 10-Aug-20 18:11:48

I think she looks nice as well.

Shelmiss Mon 10-Aug-20 18:12:46

She looks lovely......if she was 19, not 9.

merlotgran Mon 10-Aug-20 18:17:51

How do you think a nine year old girl should look on a special night out with her parents, Shelmiss?

BlueBelle Mon 10-Aug-20 18:19:14

Oh come on shelmis are you a long dress, pinny and shawl grandma
There is nothing like a 19 year old in that picture
I can’t even detect any makeup pretty little earrings and necklace she looks 9/10 and very pretty she looks too

Callistemon Mon 10-Aug-20 18:24:09

Shelmiss

She looks lovely......if she was 19, not 9.

19? I don't think my DD dressed like that when they were 19!

Spangler your heading was misleading, then

Yes, lots of girls and boys do dancing, gymnastics etc and are in displays and competitions.
A little makeup is normal.

Callistemon Mon 10-Aug-20 18:27:16

* FlyingHandbag* I was shopping for something to wear for a special anniversary lunch and a dear older friend who happened to be in the shop fetched me a dress like that from the rialto try on.
I didn't buy it !

I didn't buy a dress like the red one either grin

Callistemon Mon 10-Aug-20 18:28:00

rialto?

I should be so lucky.
From the rail.

FlyingHandbag Mon 10-Aug-20 18:43:31

Callistemon

* FlyingHandbag* I was shopping for something to wear for a special anniversary lunch and a dear older friend who happened to be in the shop fetched me a dress like that from the rialto try on.
I didn't buy it !

I didn't buy a dress like the red one either grin

gringrinx

MawB Mon 10-Aug-20 18:55:33

I painted our shed door today - enjoying watching it dry hmm

quizqueen Mon 10-Aug-20 19:02:22

The nicest photograph I've seen of her.

FlexibleFriend Mon 10-Aug-20 19:03:51

I think she looks lovely and so what if she's wearing a bit of lip gloss and mascara she's hardly done up for a night on the town.

grannylyn65 Mon 10-Aug-20 19:17:42

‘Cleb’ ??

TheFrugalPiggy Mon 10-Aug-20 19:28:40

I think she looks beautiful and if she has a little bit of make up on so what.

Dinahmo Mon 10-Aug-20 19:34:50

Some of you have forgotten JonBenet Ramsey I think. Admittedly she was only 6 and Harper Beckham is 9 and her makeup and hair style is restrained compared to that of JonBenet.

Sparklefizz Mon 10-Aug-20 19:37:33

I mentioned Katie Price's daughter, Princess, earlier, and she always reminds me of JonBenet Ramsey with her false eyelashes and makeup. Princess has looked like a made-up doll for several years. I don't think Harper looks like that.

Oopsminty Mon 10-Aug-20 19:38:00

What does JonBenet Ramsey have to do with the price of bread?

GrandmaKT Mon 10-Aug-20 19:45:05

She looks lovely and is dressed perfectly appropriately. From what we can tell, it appears to me that the Beckhams do a great job bringing up all their children.

Grandma70s Mon 10-Aug-20 19:47:13

She does look very pretty and I like her hairstyle. She’s too young for earrings, though.

merlotgran Mon 10-Aug-20 19:51:34

What is the correct age for a child to wear earrings?

Grandma70s Mon 10-Aug-20 19:57:36

About fourteen? Or at least post-puberty. I see earrings as an adult thing, except when dressing up at home. I’m not happy with children having their ears pierced when they are little, either.

Spangler Mon 10-Aug-20 20:00:00

merlotgran

What is the correct age for a child to wear earrings?

Quite so. How many babies do you see wearing earing sleepers? I could show you, but it would be folly of me to uplift such a photo.

Callistemon Mon 10-Aug-20 20:00:42

Dinahmo

Some of you have forgotten JonBenet Ramsey I think. Admittedly she was only 6 and Harper Beckham is 9 and her makeup and hair style is restrained compared to that of JonBenet.

Oh dear.
That American Child Beauty Pageant is quite disturbing.

Nothing like that photo of Harper Beckham who looks like a normal 9 year old to me.