Gransnet forums

News & politics

Where's the P.M.? Shouldn't he be in view, not hiding away ?

(512 Posts)
westendgirl Thu 20-Aug-20 12:13:28

Look at the disruptions of recent days;
Exam results and fudged response from Education secretary , passing the buck,stretching the truth about when he really knew about the algorithm,

increase in covid figures
;
Migrants in small boats and Patel's response,

News of contract to work on Ofqual awarded to long term associates of Gove and Cummings without tender.

Not removing whip from MP accused of rape.

So it goes on .Surely a P.M worth his salt should give the nation the impression he is in charge.As usual Johnson is nowhere to be seen.

Furret Thu 27-Aug-20 12:08:16

Lighten up LG it is possible that my remarks were not a dig at anyone but a light-hearted observation.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 27-Aug-20 12:12:19

Anyone watch the speech Johnson gave to the children at school.

I have never heard such rubbish in all my life.

Jabberwok Thu 27-Aug-20 12:24:17

Is awful a word you can't use on here, but F is ok, telling someone to shut up is ok, calling people names, ridiculing sneering and undermining on a personal level is ok! but saying that people to do that are awful, is not ok! How weird is that! I must learn to us foul language, sneer and jeer, then I'll be ok!!

MaizieD Thu 27-Aug-20 12:31:25

I cannot imagine who on earth would have reported your now deleted post, Jabberwok. There was nothing awful about it at all. Did Gnet tell you that it was because you used the word 'awful'?

Whatever our usual disagreements might be, I am as puzzled as you are about the deletion. And about why anyone would have bothered to report it...

MaizieD Thu 27-Aug-20 12:34:43

Really, lemon, when you talk about the government doing 'left wing' things you're really only covering the economy.

But there is a lot far right stuff going on that people aren't noticing; possibly because they approve or because they don't understand how our freedom and parliamentary democracy work.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 27-Aug-20 12:35:37

I am increasingly confused by the moderating of GNHQ, maybe it is down to who is working and their personal opinion?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 27-Aug-20 12:44:41

I’m not convinced that the various mitigation that the Treasury has put in place can be classed as either right or left wing.

I think a form of Keynesian economics is being used to provide a platform from which the economy can be supported or grown.

This would be used by a politician of any colour.

It is what happens once this all calms down (if ever) that matters. That is whether austerity is reintroduced along with tax breaks etc. Then it becomes a political choice.

Jabberwok Thu 27-Aug-20 16:54:13

No, Just a standard reminder of GN guidelines! I presumed it was the word awful, as I couldn't think what else it could have been!!! Perhaps they will at some point enlighten me if it's something else!

MaizieD Thu 27-Aug-20 17:07:53

No, they very rarely tell you more than that, Jabberwok, (though my experience is not at all extensive; I think I've had about 4 deleted over as many years).

lemongrove Thu 27-Aug-20 19:18:32

It’s strange Jabberwok....but obviously some sensitive soul reported your comment, try saying F...O.. next time and see what happens.?
On a thread a few weeks ago I had a post deleted and very near that comment, trisher had a post deleted,.....
Neither of us could remember a word of what we had posted, so it was very mysterious.?

biba70 Thu 27-Aug-20 19:24:16

been wondering what the post was - strange.

Grandad1943 Thu 27-Aug-20 20:09:30

I have only just come in from working so apologies. However, I have been informed that jabberwoks post was in support of a post and comments I had made. So many thanks for that jabberwok if that indeed was the situation.

The above adds to a strange occurrence with myself on GN a few weeks back. I received an email stating I was banned from the site but did not give any clear reason as to why. I contacted GNHQ by email and within a very few hours was reinstated again.

I have my own views on what occurred but feel I had not better place that openly on the forum but only to say that it could well be that the GN management are at times being placed in some very difficult positions.

In that, they have my understanding and support, for it could well be that it is the very unique structure and membership of the site that is at the base of several growing problems.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 27-Aug-20 20:12:47

Grandad1943

I have only just come in from working so apologies. However, I have been informed that jabberwoks post was in support of a post and comments I had made. So many thanks for that jabberwok if that indeed was the situation.

The above adds to a strange occurrence with myself on GN a few weeks back. I received an email stating I was banned from the site but did not give any clear reason as to why. I contacted GNHQ by email and within a very few hours was reinstated again.

I have my own views on what occurred but feel I had not better place that openly on the forum but only to say that it could well be that the GN management are at times being placed in some very difficult positions.

In that, they have my understanding and support, for it could well be that it is the very unique structure and membership of the site that is at the base of several growing problems.

Well that post was as clear as mud.

Can’t you be more specific?

Grandad1943 Thu 27-Aug-20 20:21:51

Whitewavemark2, in regard to your post @20:12 today I do not feel I can be more forthcoming than I have been in regard to what occurred with me without risking getting banned once again and for good this time. ?

In regard to the site, I feel that it has to diversify and in that grow if it is to have a stable long term future.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 27-Aug-20 20:28:56

Well what I do know is that the GN part of the business is run at a loss, and a few months ago they touted for money, I can’t remember exactly what for. It is obvious that the directors will not be willing to run it at a loss for ever, regardless of their stated philosophy.

However I simply can’t see the connection between that and the deleting of posts and your ban!!

Grandad1943 Thu 27-Aug-20 20:41:11

Whitewavemark2, on a limited forum with an even smaller active membership small organised groups can have a large influence.

Someone mentioned a few days back a closed Gransnet group on a different social media site, just look that way and consider that.

Do not feel I can be any clearer than that without causing problems, so apologies Whitewavemark2

Jabberwok Thu 27-Aug-20 21:20:08

Yes Grandad, my post was in support of your comments but apart from using the word awful, I honestly can't recall saying anything offensive or using unacceptable language! It is strange though as I have never felt even remotely 'offended' by any of your posts so I cannot understand why you were banned even though reinstated! Slight over reaction to say the least and I can see that you must be slightly nervous about posting!!! F.O Lemon! I'd probably be arrested!! Oh well, better watch my step in future!!!

Grandad1943 Thu 27-Aug-20 21:44:03

Jabberwok, in regard to your post @21:20 today, I genuinely do not feel that the deletion of the post was anything to do with the words used in the post but more in regard that it was in support of me.

The complaint(s) may have stated that the word "awful" was unacceptable but that may have been a just cover to have the post removed because it expressed support for myself.

So, again apologies if that expression of support for me has caused you any distress jabberwok.

Callistemon Thu 27-Aug-20 22:56:25

I didn't realise you'd been banned and reinstated Grandad.
Well, that's one up on all of us who've had posts deleted recently! We're too numerous to mention.

Is the word awful a no-no then?
Which reminds me, I meant to watch Muriel's Wedding the other night.

Callistemon Thu 27-Aug-20 22:57:46

Apologies, that was terrible, not awful.

Grandad1943 Fri 28-Aug-20 07:41:43

Callistemon

Apologies, that was terrible, not awful.

Callistemon, had you not changed that word from awful to terrible at that very minute I was just about to report you. ?

Do you not know it is awful to say awful on gransnet as it would make it an awful place with people getting awfully offended. ??

Firecracker123 Fri 28-Aug-20 08:40:25

You could always go to the papers Grandad lol imagine the headlines

GRANSNET BANS GRANDAD

The Daily Mail or The Sun could do a whole feature on it ?

Grandad1943 Fri 28-Aug-20 08:44:57

Firecracker123

You could always go to the papers Grandad lol imagine the headlines

GRANSNET BANS GRANDAD

The Daily Mail or The Sun could do a whole feature on it ?

Me give anything to the "The Sun or the Mail heaven forbid. I would swim through the sewers rather than get near them. ??

Firecracker123 Fri 28-Aug-20 08:48:06

As to who reported Grandad and Jabberwok you don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out who did it. Eer could it have been an easily offended left leaning vocal Corbyn or Starmer human rights lover lol. Bet their finger is hovering on the report button now.

Jabberwok Fri 28-Aug-20 08:57:25

Thank you Grandad for your apology, but no you haven't been the cause of my? - bewilderment, which certainly wasn't caused in any way by you personally ! If what you suspect is the case then I must admit to being a little spooked by the thought that there is somewhere on this thread or forum making a concerted effort to undermine you!! Not pleasant! I for one will be keeping off this thread for a while, call me old fashioned but the personal insults, jeers and sneers are just not my thing and imo add very little if anything at all to serious conversation.
Thank you again for your concern.