Gransnet forums

News & politics

If this is true I think it's shameful!

(69 Posts)
merlotgran Sun 06-Sep-20 14:51:22

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8702907/Prince-Harry-Meghan-Markle-pull-plug-glittering-Invictus-Games-fundraiser.html

Has greed really become such a huge part of their lives Harry will turn his back on a charity supposedly close to his heart?

NotTooOld Sun 06-Sep-20 21:20:51

Isn't it just a pre-Games fund raising dinner that H and M have dropped out of? Not the Games per se. Or have I misunderstood?

Jaberwok Sun 06-Sep-20 21:25:07

Why on earth would I be p!eased?!! I don't care! But I certainly wouldn't be p!eased if I were P. H and certainly not want to.work for an outfit that produced such junk!

Lexisgranny Sun 06-Sep-20 21:37:21

As I understand it, funds were urgently required for the Invictus Games as obviously there had been little opportunity to raise any whilst the restrictions were in force following Cv19. This was to be a major fund raising event in the USA. The attendance of Harry and Meghan would have been a “big draw”. By cancelling it a significant sum will be lost. No doubt if I have misinterpreted this, someone will correct me.

merlotgran Sun 06-Sep-20 22:12:20

I think you're right, Lexisgranny. It's clearly a conflict of interest as the event was due to be broadcast on Amazon with both Harry and Meghan making speeches.

maddyone Mon 07-Sep-20 00:19:30

I have to agree that Harry looks unhappy. Whatever the truth about The Invictus Games, it doesn’t leave Harry covered in glory does it?

Sparkling Mon 07-Sep-20 06:29:37

Megan, of a large extended family, speaks to only her mother, the only family member at her wedding. Harry, part of a large extended family, lived by the Nation, frequently seen with his brother and cousins, now estranged. Nothing he does now suprises me. They're part of that Hollywood and the fast money making machine where they want to be. He is besotted by her for some reason, one day he will see her for what she is and despise what he's become. Marriage has turned him into this bitter looking, fraught and greedy person. They are getting old now for that set and Harry can live with the fact he has let those that loved him down is beyond me. We hear a lot about Daughters in Law that divide and not unite. Glad I am blessed with mine.

BlueBelle Mon 07-Sep-20 06:42:22

How do you know what she is sparkling Do you Know her? or just going by all the vitriol being spewed out by the media
I m not surprised Harry looks miserable I would too if I was hounded as much as those two young people they ve tried to escape But the media have just escaped with them a they haven’t a hope in hell they are being hounded just as much as his mother was
if you don’t like them just ignore
Just nasty

Sparkling Mon 07-Sep-20 07:08:50

Bluebell, your post and personal attack on me is shameful. I was stating the obvious, she did have just one person at the wedding, he is estranged, she was welcomed. If you cannot see he had changed beyond belief, look at him, to say they were hounded is a joke, everyone loved Harry and was glad for him. It is fact, your comments supposition. .Just where was there an un truth. On second thoughts please don't reply as your comments were unkind and nasty, mine were factual. Have a nice day now you tried to spoil mine, but I don't know you, fortunately so it won't. Just another unkind response to something you don't agree with.

Lucca Mon 07-Sep-20 07:59:18

All bluebelle asked was do you know her
This is yet another thread (how many identical threads have there been) moaning and carping at Harry and Meghan (oh and Diana thrown in for good measure from time to time)

merlotgran Mon 07-Sep-20 09:30:54

A bit like the Boris bashing threads then, Lucca.

Jaberwok Mon 07-Sep-20 09:32:12

I agree with Sparkling! .These two were not hounded by anyone. After the Queen Harry was the nations favourite royal and nearly everyone was delighted that he'd found this seemingly lovely lady to be his wife. Time soon proved that being a supportive member of the RF was not, and no doubt never had been on the agenda of this seemingly lovely lady! Delightful charming attractive Harry now resembles a cross between an adoring submissive puppy, and a hostage we used to see on TV. The same anxious slightly haunted look we came to recognize so well. To let down something so dear (was it?!) to his heart that involved service personnel with life changing injuries in exchange for megga bucks is almost beyond belief! He should feel deeply ashamed, but I don't expect he would dare to be!!

maddyone Mon 07-Sep-20 11:53:47

Sparkling

I totally agree with you

BlueBelle

How can you say about M+H are young? I would call two individuals who are pushing forty as being middle aged. How can you defend a person who has estranged the whole of their family except one, who was the only family member to attend their wedding? Is this normal behaviour? And in two short years the party who was not estranged from his family, is as good as estranged? How many people fill the church with world wide known celebrities as they get married, but don’t want their own flesh and blood sitting in the pews?

You may think it’s perfectly normal behaviour, but I don’t!

pollyperkins Mon 07-Sep-20 12:00:38

I agree with Bluebelle and Lucca. That’s all I’m saying - not getting drawn into this subject again.

Jaberwok Mon 07-Sep-20 13:07:10

On well. I suppose a few wounded soldiers are pretty insignificant when compared to megga bucks especially as they are allegedly looking for a beach house in Australia! Wonder if that will be before paying back money owed on Frogwell Cottage or afterwards?! No prizes for guessing, but I could be wrong!

quizqueen Mon 07-Sep-20 13:22:04

Contractually, they may be bound not to attend anything the rival broadcasters are involved with. Harry should have thought of that if it involves giving up attending future Invictus Games events.

Now they will earn mega bucks with Netflix, they should be made to pay back the costs of Toad Hall and their royal wedding in one lump sum as they no longer wish to be royal, as well as funding their own security. After paying that, they will be looking for more ways to earn money but Harry must surely still have the majority of his inheritance from Diana left...over £30million, I believe.

I'm sure everyone is really looking forward to their Netflix specials telling us how we can be more woke and have hope, especially those living in cramped accommodation with no outside space.

maddyone Mon 07-Sep-20 13:46:15

I’m afraid this latest debacle has just confirmed what I had sadly already concluded, and that is that H+M should be completely removed from anything royal at all. Their titles should be removed and HRH taken away fully, not just not allowed to use it. Without titles their value would be low, and then they could set about earning their living in a truly independent way, like the rest of us.
I recognise it’s not nice, but I really despise them now. They are greedy, self important, entitled, and totally insincere people who deserve nothing from the British people.

Jaberwok Mon 07-Sep-20 14:03:24

Absolutely agree maddyone and quizqueen. I never ever thought that I would feel completely that way about any member of the RF, but this does finally take the biscuit. I still find it hard to believe P.H could knowingly do this but I guess it's a case of something better turning up! We don't have Netflix so avoiding their patronising rubbish won't be too difficult!

Ellianne Mon 07-Sep-20 14:12:45

I think they are a disgrace. To let themselves down is one thing, but to let the country and the royal family down is despicable. I have no respect for them, and would like them to melt into insignificance.

Lucca Mon 07-Sep-20 14:17:54

merlotgran

A bit like the Boris bashing threads then, Lucca.

If by Boris bashing you mean threads criticising the prime minister and his government....they have slightly more influence on our daily lives than pretty much anyone in the Royal Family or out of it.

Callistemon Mon 07-Sep-20 14:26:35

as they are allegedly looking for a beach house in Australia!

Oh no, not next door to mine I hope!

lemongrove Mon 07-Sep-20 14:27:46

Ellianne

I think they are a disgrace. To let themselves down is one thing, but to let the country and the royal family down is despicable. I have no respect for them, and would like them to melt into insignificance.

Absolutely agree with you, especially the melting into insignificance bit.

merlotgran Mon 07-Sep-20 14:47:41

I think Harry will have to get used to Meghan's way of cutting people adrift when they are no longer of any use. Invictus was very much his 'thing.' His desire to support injured ex servicemen was beginning to define him as a caring and dedicated member of the RF in his own right. Invictus had nothing to do with being in William's shadow.

Every charity they support now is all about Meghan and her profile. The odd mention of Princess Diana now and again might remind people who she's married to but will soon be irrelevant.

Jaberwok Mon 07-Sep-20 14:50:12

Callistemon ?? I hope you haven't been wicked in a former life, else these two as neighbours could be Gods punishment!!!

Jaberwok Mon 07-Sep-20 14:53:24

No Lucca, I think it is the endless personal sometimes disgusting comments that were being alluded to, not acceptable criticism!

Callistemon Mon 07-Sep-20 14:54:21

It's all the paparazzi I was thinking of, invading my privacy!