Gransnet forums

News & politics

If this is true I think it's shameful!

(68 Posts)
merlotgran Sun 06-Sep-20 14:51:22

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8702907/Prince-Harry-Meghan-Markle-pull-plug-glittering-Invictus-Games-fundraiser.html

Has greed really become such a huge part of their lives Harry will turn his back on a charity supposedly close to his heart?

Anniebach Sun 06-Sep-20 15:31:34

Perhaps a case of - charity begins at home !

Jaberwok Sun 06-Sep-20 15:53:59

Well if it is true what can you say?!! Let's hope there is more to this announcement than meets the eye!

NotTooOld Sun 06-Sep-20 16:06:39

I imagine Netflix said if you're working for us then you can't work for Amazon. Mind you, H and M must carry enough clout to say 'We're doing it anyway'.

EllanVannin Sun 06-Sep-20 16:32:49

I read that earlier online. Those games along with his support meant everything to Harry-----but not so now eh ?

Luckyoldbeethoven Sun 06-Sep-20 16:43:55

It's interesting that this story is only being run by the tabloid press! It says in the article:

'The event was shelved because the primary revenue generator was ticket sales from a live concert in Los Angeles in the spring of 2021.

^'Given current circumstances with Covid, the event needed to be reconceptualised.

'This was an independent decision made prior to a partnership with Netflix. The duke remains committed as ever to the Invictus Games.' ^

Why are people so endlessly hostile towards Harry and the decisions he takes in his life. I think good for him that he's doing things his way. He and Megan have done well out of the Netflix deal but their initial attempts to set themselves up in business were stamped on by Buckingham Palace. There are worse people out there to hound, start with Rupert Murdoch who encourages the publication of gossip and scandalous, slanted news reports!

merlotgran Sun 06-Sep-20 17:21:42

reconceptualised

Is that Woke speak for 'knock it on the head?'

Chewbacca Sun 06-Sep-20 17:49:02

Is that Woke speak for 'knock it on the head?' Yes. Or, in common parlance, "We'd grown bored with it and we got a better offer with Netflix anyway, so we're dumping the games".

trustgone4sure Sun 06-Sep-20 17:56:53

I think it`s all press talk.
Probably the Sun and Daily Mail.
I just can`t see PH walking away from something so sear to him.

trustgone4sure Sun 06-Sep-20 17:57:26

Oooops..... dear to him.

humptydumpty Sun 06-Sep-20 18:06:31

Well what do you expect it's the DM

Ellianne Sun 06-Sep-20 18:09:40

Oh well, I'm hoping for some good pictures of George and Charlotte returning to school tomorrow.

ExD Sun 06-Sep-20 18:11:54

Don't you think the lad has lost his sparkle? He seems to have totally lost that mischievous sense of humour we all loved.
But to abandon his beloved Invictus Games is surely a step too far.

Lucca Sun 06-Sep-20 18:14:56

* Why are people so endlessly hostile towards Harry and the decisions he takes in his life. *

Lucky old Beethoven. Brave saying that on GN !

merlotgran Sun 06-Sep-20 18:16:37

Why brave?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Grany Sun 06-Sep-20 18:56:00

Royals good for tourism no
The truth is the tourists rarely see the family. The Palace at Versailles and China’s Forbidden City has greater tourism. Buckingham Palace doesn’t even make top ten. Tower of London is #7
It’s the bricks they come to see.

France being the most visited country in the world, over and over again.
Better still, France making more money through tourism than the UK from its royal residences, despite having no royals.

Out of interest:
What was the argument before mass tourism?

Divine right and the Treason Felony Act

nepotism and greed are very much part of traditional royal family values. It’ll be interesting to see if H&M stick to those values.

So what is RF good for?

trisher Sun 06-Sep-20 19:07:54

Typical DM story-little real content, complete speculation and then in the very last paragraph the truth According to an Invictus spokesperson, the event was 'shelved' due to the Covid-19 pandemic and was a decision independent of the Netflix deal being signed
So there you are a non-story.

Jaberwok Sun 06-Sep-20 19:20:36

I think people are hostile to both Harry and Meghan because originally the whole country welcomed Meghan and were so pleased and happy for Prince Harry that he had a last found happiness with a person who seemed such a lovely lady and who was, it seemed very keen to support and enhance the RF particularly in the Commonwealth where they could have done such a lot of good. Sadly the agenda was not the welfare of this country or the RF, nor was it a life of privacy and tranquillity as we were led to believe. Megga bucks is the agenda sweeping aside who or what gets in the way. I think deep disapointment at being let down is what lots of people feel about these two.

Jaberwok Sun 06-Sep-20 19:34:37

The games were shelved for this year because of Covid and re scheduled for 2021. The are being streamed by Amazon. Prince Harry signed for Netflix in the full knowledge that he wouldn't be able to attend the Invictus games next summer. Obviously the organisers are a little upset as he was a king pin and led people to believe that he was very committed to this organisation! But there you go, megga bucks are clearly much more important than injured service personnel. I wonder what Harry thinks of the Netflix musical about his mother? Check it out, it's not flattering!

trisher Sun 06-Sep-20 19:39:21

Jaberwok that's not what Invictus said.

Lexisgranny Sun 06-Sep-20 19:39:34

Just read that this story originated in the Sunday Times, rather than the Daily Mail who merely copied it.

Personally I take most things reported in the press with a pinch of salt and have no strong feelings either way, but would imagine it would not be in interests of Invictus to admit that the Duke and Duchess had withdrawn because they had put their financial commitments before the games, after all the publicity they had garnered in the past from the Duke’s patronage. Perhaps the Covid-19 served the purpose, none of us really know.

merlotgran Sun 06-Sep-20 19:50:29

it would not be in interests of Invictus to admit that the Duke and Duchess had withdrawn because they had put their financial commitments before the games, after all the publicity they had garnered in the past from the Duke’s patronage.

Exactly!

M0nica Sun 06-Sep-20 20:49:52

Last photo I saw of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, the Duke did not look at all happy. His expression was one of distress. He has admitted to fragile mental health. I actually feel sorry for him.

I suspect he might be finding that he has jumped out of the frying pan into the fire.

Chewbacca Sun 06-Sep-20 20:52:00

Agreed M0nica, marriage doesn't seem to have made him a happy and fulfilled man. I always get the impression he's hanging on Meghan's coat tails.

Lucca Sun 06-Sep-20 21:15:43

* I wonder what Harry thinks of the Netflix musical about his mother? Check it out, it's not flattering!*
You sound pleased ?