Gransnet forums

News & politics

If this is true I think it's shameful!

(69 Posts)
merlotgran Sun 06-Sep-20 14:51:22

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8702907/Prince-Harry-Meghan-Markle-pull-plug-glittering-Invictus-Games-fundraiser.html

Has greed really become such a huge part of their lives Harry will turn his back on a charity supposedly close to his heart?

Jaberwok Mon 07-Sep-20 14:54:27

acceptable political criticism...

Blinko Mon 07-Sep-20 14:58:15

Jaberwok

I think people are hostile to both Harry and Meghan because originally the whole country welcomed Meghan and were so pleased and happy for Prince Harry that he had a last found happiness with a person who seemed such a lovely lady and who was, it seemed very keen to support and enhance the RF particularly in the Commonwealth where they could have done such a lot of good. Sadly the agenda was not the welfare of this country or the RF, nor was it a life of privacy and tranquillity as we were led to believe. Megga bucks is the agenda sweeping aside who or what gets in the way. I think deep disapointment at being let down is what lots of people feel about these two.

My sentiments exactly. Such a wasted opportunity to do some real good in the world. What a shame!

Lucca Mon 07-Sep-20 18:30:15

Jaberwok

No Lucca, I think it is the endless personal sometimes disgusting comments that were being alluded to, not acceptable criticism!

Same on h and m threads

Lucca Mon 07-Sep-20 18:31:25

So you are saying criticism of the government and their leader is “disgusting” but all the anti harry and Meghan and Diana comments are justifiable criticism. Oh well if you say so.

Jaberwok Mon 07-Sep-20 19:13:22

No, we're saying that unnecessary PERSONAL comments are unacceptable, like 'big fat oaf ' 'lump of lard' and that's just the mild stuff! I don't think anyone is referring to H & M in these terms!

Lucca Tue 08-Sep-20 06:38:01

Agree those are not acceptable but they are very rare and to be honest I have noticed the “oh not more Boris bashing” remark appearing even when no personal comments are made.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 08-Sep-20 06:55:44

I see that the Sussexes have repaid all the refurbishment costs to Frogmore of 2.5 million.

Grany Tue 08-Sep-20 08:11:41

So Renovations on FM cottage paid and no my money from PC
The royals still spending public money as if it's their own.
No mention of PA

Iam64 Tue 08-Sep-20 08:34:40

Yes, they have paid for the refurbishments to Frogmore. They have also issued statements saying the Invictus Games were cancelled because of the covid virus. That would be believable unless of course, we simply want to carp about these two endlessly.

25Avalon Tue 08-Sep-20 08:53:50

I think Meghan has got what she wanted apart from an Oscar which could be around the corner. Whether Harry has got what he wants is another matter. I think the Netflix deal which must have been in the middle of negotiations is what caused them to pull out of the Invictus games which always seemed close to Harry’s heart. If anything I feel sorry for him as he appears a sad figure.

Anniebach Tue 08-Sep-20 09:05:09

The Invictus Games had to be cancelled, this was announced
ages ago.

The fund raising concert has now been cancelled , it was some
agreement with Amazon but now they have signed up with
Netflix

merlotgran Tue 08-Sep-20 09:19:10

Yes, Annie The fund raising concert was a separate event from the Invictus Games which had already been cancelled. It was due to take place in June 2021 so blaming Covid for Meghan and Harry pulling out is an easy excuse when conflict of interest between rivals Netflix and Amazon is far more likely.

Jaberwok Tue 08-Sep-20 09:22:20

The games were cancelled and rescheduled for next June with P.H's agreement. All was going ahead as planned until the deal with Netflix! Suddenly the Sussexes cancelled much to to the dismay of the organisers of the games! Apparently it now transpires it's because of, guess what? Covid!!!! Do these two have a crystal ball? If not, how on earth can they possibly know what the state of play will be next June, 9 months away, regarding Covid?! Cancelling next March, maybe if the situation demands it, but now?!!!!! Ummm! Megga bucks seems more plausible!!

Jaberwok Tue 08-Sep-20 09:23:10

Sorry, not games, fundraising

merlotgran Tue 08-Sep-20 09:37:16

According to their lawyers, 'The true position is that the format of the event was no longer viable in light of COVID 19.

Seeing as Covid has been around for quite a long time now and the Invictus Games were cancelled ages ago, it's odd that the decision to cancel the fundraiser has only just been taken and happens to coincide with H&M signing up with Netflix.

The duke remains committed as ever to the Invictus Games.'

Good! Then he won't mind lobbing them the £1million they're going to miss out on.

Anniebach Tue 08-Sep-20 09:56:59

Harry made one of those video talks with several people who
had disabilities, he ended the talk going on about - changing the world !

Jaberwok Tue 08-Sep-20 10:10:23

I'm sorry, I don't believe them, simple as that! I don't think these two would recognise the truth if it tripped them up! I think it's very sad that a once caring, charming handsome, open, loyal young man has become a glowering, lecturing, disloyal, untrustworthy shadow of his former self.

Jaberwok Tue 08-Sep-20 10:12:28

Good thinking merlotgran, but don't hold your breath whatever you do!!!!