Gransnet forums

News & politics

No more than 6 people indoors or out

(158 Posts)
Madgran77 Fri 11-Sep-20 06:25:18

Anyone else feeling decidedly fed up about this?

JenniferEccles Fri 11-Sep-20 09:57:48

Rant away Gwyneth !

You are absolutely right.

Gwyneth Fri 11-Sep-20 10:15:34

Thank you JenniferEccles I must admit to feeling better now I have got it out of my system!!!

GrannySomerset Fri 11-Sep-20 10:24:32

This morning’s Today programme was simply a Nick Robinson solo since he interrupted speakers and left the listeners none the wiser. And I do agree about all the moaners - while we are trying to manage the pandemic Christmas is really not important, and birthdays and other celebrations can all wait till life is more normal, though not this year I suspect.

NotSpaghetti Fri 11-Sep-20 11:16:36

Gwyneth, some are complaining, certainly, but some of us are just stating facts. I, for example, only mentioned Christmas because it had become an area of comment.

I'm grateful that I'm not in Syria, that I have a garden, that I have a family who love me. The thread is "anyone else fed up with this" - it will attract moans.

We are all fed up with it in one way or another but we can be grateful too.

Gwyneth Fri 11-Sep-20 11:24:17

Fair point NotSpaghetti I concede that not everyone is complaining and many people have accepted that we need to adhere to the rules for the sake of society as a whole.
Incidentally as I am technically useless how do I make the name of the poster I am responding to in bold using my I pad?

janipat Fri 11-Sep-20 11:28:46

* postername * but without the spaces smile Gwyneth

Grandmabatty Fri 11-Sep-20 11:31:34

Gwyneth if the 'birthday party' dig was aimed at me then you're aiming your darts in the wrong direction. I didn't moan at all on that post. I was adding to the discussion in a non aggressive way.

Starblaze Fri 11-Sep-20 11:36:06

It's almost as if, instead of putting in clear guidelines right at the beginning that would have worked for the forseeable future, the government has conducted a mass experiment with public health looking for the tipping point.

quizqueen Fri 11-Sep-20 11:41:46

When the government decides something, people moan. When the government does nothing, people moan. Just make your own decisions and shut up moaning.

Gwyneth Fri 11-Sep-20 11:52:08

janipat thank you

Gwyneth Fri 11-Sep-20 11:56:29

Grandmabatty my post wasn’t aimed at anyone specifically. I could have used any example to illustrate my point it’s just that ‘birthday party’ sprang to mind first. It was a general observation.

Lucca Fri 11-Sep-20 12:07:22

JenniferEccles

The numbers of infected people is rising. The government is trying to slow the rise without damaging the slow economic recovery.

Restricting numbers who can meet is a relatively mild inconvenience for the majority of us.

Whatever they do would be wrong for some.

I mostly agree (got to be a first time for everything !) with the proviso that children under 11 should be exempt, partly so grandparents can child mind so parents work etc etc

Lucca Fri 11-Sep-20 12:08:20

quizqueen

When the government decides something, people moan. When the government does nothing, people moan. Just make your own decisions and shut up moaning.

Obey the government ? Or make your own decision ?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 11-Sep-20 12:17:03

Lucca unless you want to look after more than five GC at any one time the new rules do not interfere in child minding Grandparents.

If the Government take children 11 and under out of the six calculation there will be people complaining that their “darling Johnny is only just 12 so will ignore the rules”

(I have a GC who has just turned 12, I have eight GC in total, just have to get on with not seeing all family members at any one time, it’s not forever (hopefully) )

Jaxjacky Fri 11-Sep-20 12:23:54

Agree GrannyGravy13. People not obeying the rules and making their own decisions Lucca is the problem, why can’t people just do as they’re asked?

JenniferEccles Fri 11-Sep-20 12:55:09

Isn’t it you Lucca who also likes Clipper organic tea? !

So that’s two things we agree on!

Gosh?!

Madgran77 Fri 11-Sep-20 13:02:36

Hi All I'm the OP and thanks for all the comments. I am just feeling fed up about the impact of the new rule on people who for various reasons it will have varying degrees and often painful impact. That's not a comment on the validity of the decision, just a sense that a lot of people will be fed up. Onwards and upwards!smile

JenniferEccles Fri 11-Sep-20 13:13:36

But we did have clear guidelines right at the start Starblaze didn’t we? We had the lockdown.
We all knew and understood the rules then.

That was relatively simple.
Now though the government is facing a far more difficult task in trying to gauge just how much freedom to allow the population yet still attempting to keep the virus to a manageable level.

It’s obvious isn’t it that it’s a tricky balancing act, and surely we can all accept that the rules will have to change many times over the coming months as the situation changes.

toscalily Fri 11-Sep-20 15:59:30

Yes I am fed up, now into our 5th week of "Special Measures" in this area with even stricter measures if people don't take more responsibility and adhere to the rules instead of moaning and trying to bend everything to suit their particular family circumstances. All this talk of Christmas and it is still three months away, lets get a bit nearer before everyone has a melt down about what they think they will not be able to do.

Janpt Fri 11-Sep-20 16:08:15

grannysyb

Yes, I'm fed up about it. DD lives quite near me and her three children 18, 17 and 13 all apparently count as adults. DH and I now can't see them.

You're very lucky they all live so near. There are many on here who haven't seen their families for over a year. There's another world out there which you don't seem to know much about.

AGAA4 Fri 11-Sep-20 16:27:24

Covid cases are rising rapidly now so something had to be done. Whatever restrictions are put in place someone will feel the pinch.
Children need to be in school and businesses need to stay open for the economy to have a chance of recovering.
It is hard on families but having some time without seeing GCs if the numbers exceed 6 is very sad but needs to be done if we are ever to get out of this situation.
I haven't seen much of my six GCs as they live too far away.

Calendargirl Fri 11-Sep-20 16:34:04

Janpt

grannysyb

Yes, I'm fed up about it. DD lives quite near me and her three children 18, 17 and 13 all apparently count as adults. DH and I now can't see them.

You're very lucky they all live so near. There are many on here who haven't seen their families for over a year. There's another world out there which you don't seem to know much about.

Some of us haven’t seen family for three years.

Janpt Fri 11-Sep-20 16:40:14

Calendargirl

Janpt

grannysyb

Some of us haven’t seen family for three years.

Quite !!! I get really angry when people like grannysyb think they're hard done by.

Franbern Fri 11-Sep-20 16:46:25

Watching House of Lords debate today, the Government spokeman, Lord Bethell, confirmed, repeatedly that the rule of six for both indoor and outdoor was not based on anything scientific - but on 'communication'.
It seems that in the governments opinion we very stupid masses cannot understand more complicated rules, so they have put in something simple for us - regardless as to how much good it will do and how many problems it will cause.

Janpt Fri 11-Sep-20 17:01:42

Gwyneth

I am really fed up with all the moaning and whinging. Whatever, the government do is wrong. I agree that they haven’t always got it right but would any other political party have done any better? We shall never know. It’s very easy to criticise from the sidelines. So a birthday party or whatever has to be cancelled or postponed it’s not really the end of the world is it? There are people in third world countries who are really suffering. We have become a country of moaners who whinge about everything. Sorry rant over!!!

The majority on here are Labour voters and will always whinge and moan whatever the government do. I dread to think how Corbyn would have dealt with the Coronavirus crisis. Perhaps like his brother Piers he would have said it didn't exist !!