Gransnet forums

News & politics

No more than 6 people indoors or out

(157 Posts)
Madgran77 Fri 11-Sep-20 06:25:18

Anyone else feeling decidedly fed up about this?

Magsymoo Fri 11-Sep-20 06:29:12

Apparently this issue is dividing the Cabinet, especially with Nicola Sturgeon exempting children from the count - a much more nuanced approach.
Another U Turn approaching?

grannysyb Fri 11-Sep-20 06:48:53

Yes, I'm fed up about it. DD lives quite near me and her three children 18, 17 and 13 all apparently count as adults. DH and I now can't see them.

SpecialK57 Fri 11-Sep-20 06:50:33

"Cabinet at war over the rule of six: Almost every minister on Boris Johnson's Covid committee argued against the stringent limit - and even the PM himself was 'cautious'- but Matt Hancock got his way"
Interesting article in the press this morning. In the light of this and the decisions in Scotland and Wales to exempt under 12s from a group of 6 does anybody think we might get another Boris U turn to also exempt them in England

Lucca Fri 11-Sep-20 06:54:30

I think exemptions make sense. Otherwise I suspect people will “vote with their feet” and continue to see grandchildren even when there are 3+ children

NfkDumpling Fri 11-Sep-20 06:56:53

I rather think that teenagers are large enough to count as adults grannysyb. Two of my DGC with eleventh and seventh birthdays in the next two weeks aren't able to have their birthday parties now - best friend sleep-overs arranged instead - and I can see the reasoning behind it. But I rather think babies and toddlers should be (and probably unofficially will be) exempt.

Marydoll Fri 11-Sep-20 07:07:38

grannysyb, can't your adult grandchildren visit separately, or do they live too far away?

My children used to visit my mum separately, which meant she got more visits. She loved having them all to herself.

NfkDumpling Fri 11-Sep-20 07:31:13

I do rather feel sorry for the Government. All the complaints about it all being too complicated as they bent over backwards trying to make different rules for different situations and different people. Trying to encourage people to use their common sense and be considerate to others. It worked in the main (at least around here it has) but the media and naysayers have shouted so loudly that the decision has been made for one simple rule. No more than a gathering of six people to mix socially. And off we go again. I'm sitting here listening to the Today Programme interviewing one person after another complaining and picking holes. Can't they just, for once, give it a go? We have to get the economy going again, and kids have to get back to school. We can't stay in shut down and furlough forever so a different system is needed. Local shutdowns work for isolated outbreaks, but now infections are increasing everywhere, so a different system is needed. Let's give this a go and work with it and get the rate back down. Yes, I think there are flaws. There always will be. But I'm going with it the same as I did for Lock Down and Shielding and I really wish the media would be more supportive and encouraging.

NfkDumpling Fri 11-Sep-20 07:36:10

(Sorry - Radio Four's negativity gets to me sometimes. Especially the Today programme. I should get off my backside and put some music on!)

MawB2 Fri 11-Sep-20 07:58:10

grannysyb

Yes, I'm fed up about it. DD lives quite near me and her three children 18, 17 and 13 all apparently count as adults. DH and I now can't see them.

Do you think teenagers, especially an 18 and 17 year old should not?
They can drive, get married, smoke , one can drink legally and also vote - how can they be seen as “children” ?

And why can’t you see them? Three of them plus you and DH = 5

Davidhs Fri 11-Sep-20 08:09:41

For this winter surely staying away from grandchildren is a sacrifice that needs to be made. The children will be mixing at school and even if they have no symptoms they could spread the virus.
Covid 19 aside there are going to be the usual cold and flu infections distinguishing between each is going to be a nightmare.

LullyDully Fri 11-Sep-20 08:27:48

If we excluded children then Christmas may work.

MawB2 Fri 11-Sep-20 08:31:26

LullyDully

If we excluded children then Christmas may work.

gringrin
I am sure you do not mean it that way, but can you imagine the tabloid headlines?
Gransnet Grans exclude children from Christmas!

ginny Fri 11-Sep-20 08:33:39

Not for us it won’t. DD1 plus DGS and SIL.
Dd2,
DD3 plus DGS and SIL
Mother in law
Us
Makes 10.
We spend a lot of time together normally. Always all together for parts of Christmas.
We will have to work out a rota.

allium Fri 11-Sep-20 08:37:14

They'll probably change their minds again on Monday!

PamelaJ1 Fri 11-Sep-20 08:39:25

I remember the Royale family sent the child away for Christmas.
I think the line- “Christmas isn’t for kids” was spoken by a man in the bath trying to defrost the turkey?.
I don’t normally watch the programme so I don’t know his name.

Illte Fri 11-Sep-20 08:46:25

If we could all just exercise a bit of common sense and restraint now then we might be able to get together for Christmas.

I know it's not going to happen. Everyone seems to think they should be the exception. And nobody thinks the spread is because of what they did.

NotSpaghetti Fri 11-Sep-20 08:54:39

Those families of six or more - presumably they can't see anyone at all?
?

NotSpaghetti Fri 11-Sep-20 08:56:45

As for the Christmas period, ours will be very different. Would normally be 15 or so of us on Christmas Eve so think that's not going to happen!

TwiceAsNice Fri 11-Sep-20 08:58:38

We will be lucky re Christmas we are exactly 6. DD1, SIL, 2 DGD, DD2 and me.

It will affect my friend who was hoping to spend Christmas with her son DIL and baby grandson but it means her Dils parents and sister can’t come as well as planned so I guess they’ll have to do presents etc over two days.

It’s a lot harder for families who live away from each other we live super close. I do think we need to try and make the infection rate over winter as small as possible though

JenniferEccles Fri 11-Sep-20 08:59:04

The numbers of infected people is rising. The government is trying to slow the rise without damaging the slow economic recovery.

Restricting numbers who can meet is a relatively mild inconvenience for the majority of us.

Whatever they do would be wrong for some.

Grandmabatty Fri 11-Sep-20 09:04:47

It's the only two households rule which will snooker our chances of getting together with family. Our family weekend away is now cancelled and my birthday with my children is also cancelled as there are four households. It's unfortunate but rules are rules.

Ellianne Fri 11-Sep-20 09:06:57

I think (and pray) things will change for Christmas time itself. I fully agree with the restrictions stopping office Christmas parties and festive gatherings, as this is the busiest time for mingling, especially indoors.
We don't know that will include Christmas Day and Boxing Day though, and I prefer to plough ahead with our arrangements in the hope that these will be the exception for families.

Gwyneth Fri 11-Sep-20 09:19:28

I am really fed up with all the moaning and whinging. Whatever, the government do is wrong. I agree that they haven’t always got it right but would any other political party have done any better? We shall never know. It’s very easy to criticise from the sidelines. So a birthday party or whatever has to be cancelled or postponed it’s not really the end of the world is it? There are people in third world countries who are really suffering. We have become a country of moaners who whinge about everything. Sorry rant over!!!

Illte Fri 11-Sep-20 09:20:54

Lovely as it is to have everyone together I don't think I want to take the risk of infecting my whole family at one go!

Probably not a good idea to have them in daily "shifts" either.

Infect one, infect all.

I might get together with the family that have had it.