Gransnet forums

News & politics

Today's Commons debate

(238 Posts)
mcem Mon 14-Sep-20 18:18:23

Have you ever seen such an example of hopeless squirming embarrassment as Boris Johnson's pathetic performance?
Well done, Ed Miliband for showing BJ as a useless apology for a PM!

Jaberwok Mon 14-Sep-20 22:56:08

They can't stop it, not with that majority! in any case there's always the parliament act!

Alegrias Mon 14-Sep-20 22:57:59

JenniferEccles

Good result!
Boris means business!

Oh yes, business. What was it Johnson said about business? I don't think it's a word I can use on GN.

Grandad1943 Mon 14-Sep-20 23:09:54

I have been a Labour Party affiliate member and supporter for over fifty years, in that I also feel I am a realist. Throughout the last few days, I have never believed that the government were in any danger of losing vote this evening.

However, we seem to have on this forum Labour Party supporters that live in cloud cuckoo land who genuinely believed that this government would fall on its sword and throw away the vote tonight and that would be the first step in the downfall of the government.

Perhaps now those supporters will join the very many in the affiliate membership of the broader Labour movement and plan for the next General Election which in all probability will not come about four at least another four years.

In that, some of us are trying to sort out the major problems of the Labour Party and wider movement and then we can go forward from there.

Others just live in denial of that and in a world of Starmer worship. Perhaps the events of this evening will be the first step in them re-entering the world of reality.

growstuff Mon 14-Sep-20 23:09:56

The lunatics have taken over the asylum.

NotSpaghetti Mon 14-Sep-20 23:57:21

Grandad1943 - I don't think anyone on this thread thought there was a cat in Hell's chance of the bill not going through, and certainly I saw no Starmer worship.

It was lovely, however, to hear someone speak with thought and a wider view of the world, with nuance and conviction. Miliband did as good a job as was possible today. Please don't disparage those of us who appreciated this.

And I don't suppose you actually know how many Gransnetters are working towards the next election, do you?

growstuff Tue 15-Sep-20 00:13:45

Somebody who talks disparagingly of "Starmer worship" and re-uses the same jargon over and over again isn't working to sort out major problems. They are part of the problem.

Galaxy Tue 15-Sep-20 06:07:28

Yes exactly no better example of 'part of the problem'.

Urmstongran Tue 15-Sep-20 07:13:58

Good morning all. Anyone know how Geoffrey Cox voted? I’m interested as after his loquacious speech in the HoC he apparently indicated he could possibly vote with Boris after all. I’m off to check!

And this about ‘f*ck business’ by Boris.

Let’s all remember that was in response to the doomsayer CBI (who are well known for calling just about everything wrong!). He said it to reassure the voters that Brexit was a prize worth going for.

Curlywhirly Tue 15-Sep-20 07:15:14

Grandad1943 Starmer worship I see no worship of Starmer by GNers, yes, some like him, but Worship? A bit over the top to say the least.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 15-Sep-20 07:16:36

Urmstongran

Good morning all. Anyone know how Geoffrey Cox voted? I’m interested as after his loquacious speech in the HoC he apparently indicated he could possibly vote with Boris after all. I’m off to check!

And this about ‘f*ck business’ by Boris.

Let’s all remember that was in response to the doomsayer CBI (who are well known for calling just about everything wrong!). He said it to reassure the voters that Brexit was a prize worth going for.

But you have never explained what that prize is.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 15-Sep-20 07:19:06

Have any of you read the statement by David Frost our Chief Negotiator? It is available via Twitter (sorry I could not link )

It is very enlightening inasmuch as it explains the EU’s position clearly and what they are intending to do regarding stopping imports/exports between mainland UK and N.I.

Furret Tue 15-Sep-20 07:20:25

Urmstongran

Milligan’s read a script prepared by Starmer who is now self isolating due to the fact that one of his family have Covid. It was full of legalese and Milliband did well as an understudy.

Boris will ace this. He has the numbers.

And so what that Major, Blair and Brown are against the Bill? They are all lovers of the EU!

This Bill provides a much needed safety net. Without it the EU would not negotiate in good faith.

I’m hoping it carries.

Milliband eviscerated Boris. It was a pleasure to watch.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 15-Sep-20 07:22:46

grandad writes a variation of the same thing on every thread. Which usually has nothing to do with the discussion under way.

For some reason of his own he chooses not to start his own thread.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 15-Sep-20 07:26:10

lemon if the best that you can do is to support a post by a self confessed supporter of Robinson an anti-Islamic member, and neo-fascist then I think really it is better to keep quiet.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 15-Sep-20 07:32:44

GrannyGravy13

Have any of you read the statement by David Frost our Chief Negotiator? It is available via Twitter (sorry I could not link )

It is very enlightening inasmuch as it explains the EU’s position clearly and what they are intending to do regarding stopping imports/exports between mainland UK and N.I.

No that isn’t right is it?

The U.K. has refused to say whether it will not lower animal welfare standards and re-start things like feed from dead sheep that caused BSE.

The EU -as would any thinking person- has said that until the U.K. can give assurance of an acceptable level of animal welfare, they cannot accept food imports without all necessary checks.

The U.K. want to be in a position to be able to accept lower animal welfare food from the USA as part of trade negotiation, this meat could find its way intonEurope without strict control measures on their behalf.

I wish I was sure that my government would do the same, but it is hell bent in feeding the poor crap food.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 15-Sep-20 07:37:53

Have you read the statement Whitewavemark2 ? it goes into detail regarding food standards

M0nica Tue 15-Sep-20 07:38:58

Grandad No one expected the government to lose last night and that was always known. it was purely a procedural vote. The real opposition will come at the next reading when the bill goes into committtee.

You clearly do not like Starmer, but compared with Corbyn he is a God, but from a very low start point

Last Sunday, The Observer gave 2 pages to reviewing two books on Corbyn and his era, written by people who are clearly Labour Party supporters. The picture of monumental incompetance and incapacity revealed in thebooks/article/review, and the thought that these have all been written and reviewed by people predisposed towards Corbyn and his reign, leaves ones mind boggling as to how incompetent he and his supporters really were.

I look forward to reading the hatchet job that will eventually be done on Boris and reviewed in the Daily Telegraph. I am sure it will be just as excoriating.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 15-Sep-20 07:44:20

GrannyGravy13

Have you read the statement Whitewavemark2 ? it goes into detail regarding ^food standards^

Then why is food standards a sticking point?

In May the Tories via the Agricultural Bill, refused to maintain existing food standards.

The ability to lower our food standards is in U.K. law.

Grandad1943 Tue 15-Sep-20 07:55:36

After all the comment and condemnations from a number of Tory MPs in regard to this Bill, in the end, Johnson held a majority of seventy-seven.

Therefore it must be concluded that either those who stated they would vote against the proposed legislation from within the Tory ranks did not in fact carry that out, or a number of opposition MPs voted in favour of the Bill???

So, there is something for the "Starmer worshipers" to consider as further readings of the Bill approach.

Galaxy Tue 15-Sep-20 08:03:43

It's like debating with a child.

Lucca Tue 15-Sep-20 08:27:01

Where are these Starmer worshippers ? Never heard of them. Are they in a coalition with remoaners and Looney lefties ?
What does this have to do with the utter embarrassment this government is causing ?

Iam64 Tue 15-Sep-20 08:29:10

MOnica, thanks, good post at 7.38 this morning.

Grandad1943 Tue 15-Sep-20 08:33:01

Oh, there are some very poor losers around this morning.

Starmer is due to address the TUC conference this morning, is anyone aware of whether he will be doing that online or if that speech is now completely cancelled being he is self-isolating???

Lucca Tue 15-Sep-20 08:46:51

Grandad1943

Oh, there are some very poor losers around this morning.

Starmer is due to address the TUC conference this morning, is anyone aware of whether he will be doing that online or if that speech is now completely cancelled being he is self-isolating???

Sore losers of what ?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 15-Sep-20 08:50:18

The sainted Barnier is on video saying that the price the U.K. will have to pay is N.I.

Do any of you think that is acceptable? I do not.