Gransnet forums

News & politics

If Trump loses we must not assume that it is back to the old politics

(95 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 17-Oct-20 12:00:54

At the moment it looks like Trump is going to lose badly - in fact it is a possible blood bath, but I hardly dare hope for such an outcome.

Johnson is going to look very lonely in his populist tower and certainly behind the curve, with centre-ism once more in the ascendancy.

But what those of the centre must not do is assume that we can once more settle into the type of politics we had before the populists in the U.K. and USA took power with their promise of getting rid of elitism and giving the workers what they want. All a mirage if course, but never the less political parties must be absolutely clear that they ignore that section of the voting public at their peril because that is what got us Trump and Johnson and Brexit in the first place.

The Democrats seem to be saying the right things and undoubtedly the centre-ists in the Tory party and Labour are beginning to understand this. A Democratic win will boost the centre-ist cause in the U.K.

I can only hope that the forecast of a Democratic win is right.

Urmstongran Thu 22-Oct-20 16:10:00

Thank you Summerlove.
Much appreciated.
?

Alegrias2 Thu 22-Oct-20 16:17:37

Republican politician stands up for Trump, that's hardly a surprise though, is it?

I didn't say that Trump said it, but he called her dishonest and stood by while his rally chanted "Lock her up".

Do you remember in the 2008 election when some woman called Obama a terrorist and John McCain stopped her and told her she was wrong? Even though McCain was Republican and Obama was Democrat? That's how a grown up person is meant to behave.

Urmstongran Thu 22-Oct-20 16:24:26

I agree with you there Alegrias.

Urmstongran Thu 22-Oct-20 16:25:46

Mind you look at us here - not much better! Angela Rayner calling a Tory backbencher ‘scum’ yesterday. Not so much an Honorable Lady! She had to apologise.

suziewoozie Thu 22-Oct-20 16:26:57

Alegrias Trump has not an ounce of dignity, honesty, decency in his whole body has he? And that sums up imo everyone who supports him.

suziewoozie Thu 22-Oct-20 16:29:28

You see Urm that’s why I can’t take your opinions seriously - the false equivalence in your post is truly jaw dropping.

Alegrias2 Thu 22-Oct-20 16:33:54

Urmstongran

Mind you look at us here - not much better! Angela Rayner calling a Tory backbencher ‘scum’ yesterday. Not so much an Honorable Lady! She had to apologise.

Ug Regarding Angela Rayner, its not the way to behave, no matter how angry she was. I agree with you.

We're going to have to stop this agreeing, its not normal. grin

Alegrias2 Thu 22-Oct-20 16:36:39

suziewoozie

Alegrias Trump has not an ounce of dignity, honesty, decency in his whole body has he? And that sums up imo everyone who supports him.

suziewoozie I certainly agree about Trump, but I think many (not all) of his followers are just deluded, or frightened, and don't have the ability to see the reality of the world. He appeals to the basest part of human nature.

Urmstongran Thu 22-Oct-20 16:41:32

I’ll take that last comment as a compliment shall I Alegrias?
?
We were getting along so well too ...
?

suziewoozie Thu 22-Oct-20 16:45:59

Alegrias my criticism was the false equivalence drawn between AR I’ll advised use of the word scum and DT’s behaviour

Alegrias2 Thu 22-Oct-20 16:46:32

If the cap fits... grin

But in all seriousness, I really don't understand how anybody can support Trump. I'm not asking for an explanation, it's just beyond me.

Alegrias2 Thu 22-Oct-20 16:49:33

suziewoozie I do think its all part of the same problem though. Lack of respect for people who disagree with you. I don't actually think most of the Tories deserve respect but I don't think AR did herself or the Labour party any favours with that language.

Mind you, Trump takes it to a whole different level, no argument there.

Urmstongran Thu 22-Oct-20 16:51:05

Perhaps think on some of these Alegrias?

stream.org/30-good-things-president-trump-has-done-for-america/

suziewoozie Thu 22-Oct-20 16:58:27

I mostly agree Aleg but drawing parallels between such different examples diminishes the utter awfulness of what DT said. Context is also relevant.

Alegrias2 Thu 22-Oct-20 17:00:59

Urmstongran

I only read the first 4 before I lost the will to live.

So, he appointed a bunch of judges that don't take a liberal approach to the law, including being against abortion; tax cuts and deregulation that undermine support for the poor while portraying it as creating more jobs; rebuilding the military, when I think their military was quite strong enough, and finally, protecting unborn babies. I'm not even going to comment on that one.

Oh and number 11 - withdrawing from the Paris accord. How does anyone think that is a good thing? But most of all, number 25, a wise COVID response. shock See what I mean? Deluded....

flump Thu 22-Oct-20 17:09:36

Urm, you are so right! He certainly isn't a politician and, as you say, he puts America first, so why would he deign to "look upon Brexit favourably"? (You're making him sound like some sort of god, though perhaps that's how he and his fans see him).

By the way, I do think that if that was a fresh approach, it has gone somewhat rancid over the years. (Which is fine if your taste runs to putridity.)

But, of course, we are all entitled to our opinions.

Urmstongran Thu 22-Oct-20 17:10:58

Trump pledged to leave the Paris Accord in his manifesto in 2016. He kept his promise to his voters.

Urmstongran Thu 22-Oct-20 17:12:30

Changing tack slightly - tonight’s debate will be interesting. Biden's going to stand there with a piece of paper with some zingers on it and hope to survive.

It's old school vs. new school. Biden is done.

Summerlove Thu 22-Oct-20 17:15:26

suziewoozie

If someone’s reasons are imo ridiculous I am completely entitled to say so .

Yes
But you can do it without insulting, or little digs.

You’re better than that.

Alegrias2 Thu 22-Oct-20 17:18:30

suziewoozie

I mostly agree Aleg but drawing parallels between such different examples diminishes the utter awfulness of what DT said. Context is also relevant.

you are right, of course sw.

Urmstongran Thu 22-Oct-20 17:21:01

The elephant in the room tonight.

Joe Biden has used his drug addicted son. Did Hunter want his laptop to be discovered? That's what I wonder.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Thu 22-Oct-20 18:07:43

Urmstongran

I also like Trump because he’s not a politician. He has a direct and fresh way of looking at a situation. He puts America first.

He demonstrated the imbalance of NATO payments and called out EU member states for underpaying.

Other stuff too but I went over it all weeks ago. Too boring to read all over again for most.

"Welcome to the Neurology Department at St Custard's Hospital, Ms Mitchell. You are in the best possible hands with Mr Shifty, who will be performing your brain surgery. The great thing is that Mr Shifty isn't a brain surgeon, he's a property developer, and I'm sure you'll find that a direct and fresh way of looking at your operation and feel reassured.

suziewoozie Thu 22-Oct-20 18:51:16

Urmstongran

The elephant in the room tonight.

Joe Biden has used his drug addicted son. Did Hunter want his laptop to be discovered? That's what I wonder.

Yet another conspiracy theory - it’s all the Trump band have got isn’t it?

varian Thu 22-Oct-20 19:00:18

I some voters actually believe that the Democrats want to put them into concentration camps they will believe anything.

NotSpaghetti Thu 22-Oct-20 19:13:49

Urmstongran

The Stream is a right-wing Christian website founded by a Televangelist. It says it “challenges mainstream media”.

Elsewhere I read The Stream (is) a moderate Conspiracy website based on promotion of right-wing conspiracies and a strong Pseudoscience site for promotion of climate change denial and creationism, as well as non-scientific information regarding homosexuality. (D. Van Zandt 12/9/2016) Updated (8/9/2019)