Gransnet forums

News & politics

If Trump loses we must not assume that it is back to the old politics

(95 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 17-Oct-20 12:00:54

At the moment it looks like Trump is going to lose badly - in fact it is a possible blood bath, but I hardly dare hope for such an outcome.

Johnson is going to look very lonely in his populist tower and certainly behind the curve, with centre-ism once more in the ascendancy.

But what those of the centre must not do is assume that we can once more settle into the type of politics we had before the populists in the U.K. and USA took power with their promise of getting rid of elitism and giving the workers what they want. All a mirage if course, but never the less political parties must be absolutely clear that they ignore that section of the voting public at their peril because that is what got us Trump and Johnson and Brexit in the first place.

The Democrats seem to be saying the right things and undoubtedly the centre-ists in the Tory party and Labour are beginning to understand this. A Democratic win will boost the centre-ist cause in the U.K.

I can only hope that the forecast of a Democratic win is right.

Summerlove Wed 21-Oct-20 18:58:24

Callistemon

I'm predicting nothing because I invariably get it wrong.

Although - if I say I'm sure Trump will get a second term, does that help?

Certainly can’t hurt lol

Urmstongran Wed 21-Oct-20 19:34:31

Regular posters will have read plenty of my posts in the last couple of months explaining why I think Trump will win. Check out the archives flump and fill your boots. sw is just being her usual disingenuous self. Popcorn indeed!

petra Wed 21-Oct-20 20:01:32

I bet on him winning in 2016 and won a sizeable amount.
I've bet on him this time. Nothing to do with liking/ not liking him. I'm not so sure this time as I was in 2016.
Actually 2016 was a good year for me with the 2 big bets I won.

Urmstongran Wed 21-Oct-20 20:08:09

Remember ‘quiet voters’ don’t ‘do’ polls.

NotSpaghetti Wed 21-Oct-20 20:09:48

Those of you who are really following the election might be interested in this website:
projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/

538 has lots of info and advises as to the reliability of the various polls.

Apologies if you all know about it already!

NotSpaghetti Wed 21-Oct-20 20:11:32

Oh... and you can click through to discover more interesting predictions such as: if Biden were to win Florida he has a 99/100 chance of winning outright.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 21-Oct-20 20:30:42

At the moment Biden leads by 2% in Florida

Urmstongran Wed 21-Oct-20 20:49:24

Just because the silent majority doesn't loot, vandalize, attack cops, injure small business owners, riot, topple historic monuments, set things on fire, bully everyone who doesn’t think like them ...and make all this noise all over social media - doesn’t mean they aren't out there, waiting patiently to vote.

The crowd being quiet is way larger than MSM are giving them credit in my opinion.

biba70 Wed 21-Oct-20 20:49:40

sorry, but I truly despise those who bet on things of such major importance- makes me feel sick. Mind you, hate betting anyhow- but in such circumstances, NO.

biba70 Wed 21-Oct-20 20:50:28

Nothing quiet or demure about Trump and his supporters, really.

Urmstongran Wed 21-Oct-20 20:55:43

I’m referring to the silent voters biba. The ones who swerve pollsters (or lie - why tell a canvasser who you plan to vote for?). These are the people who go into the polling booths and upend the polls!

Summerlove Wed 21-Oct-20 21:34:46

Urmstongran

Just because the silent majority doesn't loot, vandalize, attack cops, injure small business owners, riot, topple historic monuments, set things on fire, bully everyone who doesn’t think like them ...and make all this noise all over social media - doesn’t mean they aren't out there, waiting patiently to vote.

The crowd being quiet is way larger than MSM are giving them credit in my opinion.

Are they the ones who support militia and teenagers murdering protesters?

petra Thu 22-Oct-20 09:17:58

biba70
I truely despise people who think they're right about everything political and sneer ( from afar) any opinion that doesn't fit theirs.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 22-Oct-20 10:03:11

petra

biba70
I truely despise people who think they're right about everything political and sneer ( from afar) any opinion that doesn't fit theirs.

That told you biba????

Callistemon Thu 22-Oct-20 10:11:39

biba70

Nothing quiet or demure about Trump and his supporters, really.

There's nothing quiet or demure about American politics in general and ours has been going that way too since T Blair.
Remember those daft celebrations. Cool Britannia?
"Things are gonna get better"
Really?

Oh! for some real statesmen and women.

Blossoming Thu 22-Oct-20 10:22:19

I don’t think Trump looks like he’s losing. This isn’t an expression of support, merely an observation that he’s very popular in some parts of America.

flump Thu 22-Oct-20 13:29:09

Urmstongran OK, so I re-read your comments and unless I've missed something, which is always possible, I have to say you didn't really answer my question, did you?

I asked why do you want him there for another 4 years?

MaizieD Thu 22-Oct-20 13:38:12

I think Ug really likes the bright orange, freeloading, pussy grabber...

Urmstongran Thu 22-Oct-20 15:02:42

I want Trump to win because I think his ties to us in the UK are strong (Scottish mother) and will be more willing than Joe Biden & the Democrats to look upon Brexit favourably, flump. Obama warned we’d have to be at the back of the queue. No so with Trump.

suziewoozie Thu 22-Oct-20 15:09:51

Urmstongran

I want Trump to win because I think his ties to us in the UK are strong (Scottish mother) and will be more willing than Joe Biden & the Democrats to look upon Brexit favourably, flump. Obama warned we’d have to be at the back of the queue. No so with Trump.

If you believe that you’ll believe anything. Oh wait, you do

Urmstongran Thu 22-Oct-20 15:34:59

I also like Trump because he’s not a politician. He has a direct and fresh way of looking at a situation. He puts America first.

He demonstrated the imbalance of NATO payments and called out EU member states for underpaying.

Other stuff too but I went over it all weeks ago. Too boring to read all over again for most.

Alegrias2 Thu 22-Oct-20 15:58:09

A woman interviewed on the Channel 4 news last night said she couldn't vote Democrat because they want to put her and people like her in concentration camps. In other places I've read that they want to kill babies and make the US a communist country.

Trump wouldn't condemn the militias who wanted to abduct and kill the governor of Michigan. That is, by any measure, shameful, not "fresh and direct". Instead, he encouraged his rally to chant "Lock her up".

There's really no hope for the US, is there?

Summerlove Thu 22-Oct-20 16:05:16

suziewoozie

Urmstongran

If you believe that you’ll believe anything. Oh wait, you do

She was asked her reasons and answered. I can respect that.

I might not agree, but I understand her thought process now.

We don’t always need to jump to insults. More understanding is key. Even when it doesn’t bring about similar ideologies

suziewoozie Thu 22-Oct-20 16:08:19

If someone’s reasons are imo ridiculous I am completely entitled to say so .

Urmstongran Thu 22-Oct-20 16:09:05

Michigan’s Republican Speaker of the House, Lee Chatfield, wrote in a post on Twitter that he was “proud to speak in support of the President tonight! I’m excited to vote for him again. And no, Trump didn’t chant ‘lock her up’ about our Governor.”

“But others did and it was wrong,” he added. “She was literally just targeted. Let’s debate differences. Let’s win elections. But not that.”