Gransnet forums

News & politics

We need a coup

(513 Posts)
GagaJo Thu 22-Oct-20 13:52:01

Whether it is an internal Tory overthrow or another political group, we need the current criminal incompetents removed from power. They are willfully causing needless C19 deaths and in-full-view pocketing tax payer money with only the flimsiest of attempts to pretend they're not.

I'm no Tory (god forbid) but bloody hell, what we need now is a Margaret Thatcher to sort this unholy mess Boris and his buddies are making.

varian Tue 27-Oct-20 15:09:09

Did John MacDonnell send his children to private school? I heard that he had been sent to a private schook for two years as a child, but that was his parent's choice, not his.

Janpt Tue 27-Oct-20 15:06:36

Alegrias2

Abbott? Do you mean this guy? He's certainly arrogant and sent his kids to private schools.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54013705

smile

Is that the best you can do. Don't be so ridiculous. Just admit you backed the wrong horse or any other way you want admit it.

Janpt Tue 27-Oct-20 15:03:59

Ellianne

^They all send their children to private schools.^
I think that is a separate argument. Many people send their children to private schools, not because they necessarily agree with them, but because their lifestyles are logistically not conducive to having children at the local state school.

That was not the main topic of my post which you have chosen to ignore.

varian Tue 27-Oct-20 15:03:07

Starmer, not starlet!

Alegrias2 Tue 27-Oct-20 15:02:48

Abbott? Do you mean this guy? He's certainly arrogant and sent his kids to private schools.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54013705

smile

varian Tue 27-Oct-20 15:02:20

I thought Kier Starlets children attend their local state primary school. Is that not the case?

Ellianne Tue 27-Oct-20 14:58:57

They all send their children to private schools.
I think that is a separate argument. Many people send their children to private schools, not because they necessarily agree with them, but because their lifestyles are logistically not conducive to having children at the local state school.

Janpt Tue 27-Oct-20 14:49:12

GagaJo

Clearly even you think they're failing.

I am still waiting for your answer as to just what Starmer, Corbyn and Mcdonnell could do better. Perhaps like Corbyn they would just scrap all the rules and tier system and carry on going out to dinner with as many people as they pleased. The arrogance of the man is beyond belief and the hypocrisy of someone who was brought up in a mansion and went to a public school. Starmer, Mcdonnell and Abbott are just the same. They all send their children to private schools. One rule for them and another for the rest of their Labour supporters.

Janpt Tue 27-Oct-20 14:31:04

Anniezee

I agree we need a change in politics because whatever choice we have - Tory, Labour, Lib Dem, Monster Raving Looney Party- - it isn't working. I'd vote for a Common Sense Party. The divide between rich and poor is growing ever wider. We need someone in government who has real hands-on experience of life and its hardships, someone who understands how business works(not big business - normal, hardworking folks' businesses), someone who has not been to public school. Someone who is willing to put the country at their heart and reason for being. And voters need to stop voting as their parents did. Only society can change politics by waking up and rejecting what we have now. We need someone committed to leading the nation but we certainly don't need another Margaret Thatcher who decimated our manufacturing industry and turned us into a country of service providers. Do we really want to live in a society where eighty two percent of the wealth is in the hands of just one percent of the population? If we - and by that I mean society as a whole - bother to get off our self-entitled, selfish backsides, there will be revolution and it won't be pretty. Bring it on for the sake of our grandchildren.

Oh no, Not another left winger telling us what we need. What we don't need is a country run for the benefit of those who put the least in. Margaret Thatcher was a better P.M. than many male P.M.'s of either party and a fine example to the women of this country.

Anniezee Tue 27-Oct-20 14:17:10

I agree we need a change in politics because whatever choice we have - Tory, Labour, Lib Dem, Monster Raving Looney Party- - it isn't working. I'd vote for a Common Sense Party. The divide between rich and poor is growing ever wider. We need someone in government who has real hands-on experience of life and its hardships, someone who understands how business works(not big business - normal, hardworking folks' businesses), someone who has not been to public school. Someone who is willing to put the country at their heart and reason for being. And voters need to stop voting as their parents did. Only society can change politics by waking up and rejecting what we have now. We need someone committed to leading the nation but we certainly don't need another Margaret Thatcher who decimated our manufacturing industry and turned us into a country of service providers. Do we really want to live in a society where eighty two percent of the wealth is in the hands of just one percent of the population? If we - and by that I mean society as a whole - bother to get off our self-entitled, selfish backsides, there will be revolution and it won't be pretty. Bring it on for the sake of our grandchildren.

Iam64 Tue 27-Oct-20 14:16:32

Sincere condolences Jabberwok. Sorry to hear about your aunt, bereavements during this difficult time seem even harder

varian Tue 27-Oct-20 14:08:51

Corruption and dark money now the life blood of the Tory party

truepublica.org.uk/united-kingdom/corruption-and-dark-money-now-the-life-blood-of-the-tory-party/

GillT57 Tue 27-Oct-20 14:05:35

Sorry to hear about your aunt Jabberwok, a difficult time for the family I am sure.

GillT57 Tue 27-Oct-20 14:03:28

I'd be very interested to hear what a left wing Starmer, Corbyn, Mcdonnell, government could do any better especially in the unprecedented situation the country is in

We can't possibly know, and as you must be aware, in general, Starmer's administration is supportive of the measures announced by the Johnson government, on the basis that a pandemic is not the time for political point scoring. This is not to say that Starmer does not have his own contribution and suggestions to make, but remember, it is Johnson who is in charge, his administration was put there by the electorate, and those of us who did not vote for him cannot be held responsible for this.
My parents were life long Tories, hard working decent folk like most on here, and they would be horrified at the cronyism and corruption of this administration. This goes beyond political affiliations and becomes a matter of morals, decency, democracy and fair play, all attributes which we should all uphold, but I see only evidence to the contrary coming out of Downing Street.

GagaJo Tue 27-Oct-20 13:56:16

Clearly even you think they're failing.

GagaJo Tue 27-Oct-20 13:55:48

Unable to answer Janpt.

PECS Tue 27-Oct-20 13:55:26

If you answer the question Janpt you are more likely to win the argument. There must be somethings you can use to endorse your opinion?

Janpt Tue 27-Oct-20 13:51:55

GagaJo

I assumed you were being ironic Trisher. Genteel is certainly not the word I'd use.

I'd be interested to hear what the right wing government support on here think has been done well too.

I'd be very interested to hear what a left wing Starmer, Corbyn, Mcdonnell, government could do any better especially in the unprecedented situation the country is in.

Sparklefizz Tue 27-Oct-20 13:48:42

I bought masks in February because I could see what was happening in China and I was keeping myself updated. I also put myself in lockdown on 11th March. Not everyone needs to be told what to do. Surely we can use common sense.

Galaxy Tue 27-Oct-20 13:35:42

But very late ellianne. We bought masks way back at the beginning.of lockdown because that was what other countries were advising.

Ellianne Tue 27-Oct-20 13:31:59

Jaberwok sad

Ellianne Tue 27-Oct-20 13:30:46

What has this government done well?
The issuing of guidelines on wearing masks on public transport was very clear. Likewise masks in shops.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 27-Oct-20 13:24:02

My condolences Jabberwok

Sparklefizz Tue 27-Oct-20 13:21:32

Jaberwok

Thank you Sparklefizz, much appreciated . While my Aunt was a very old lady she was, a bit like the Queen, in pretty good nick! The frightening thing was how quickly she went from being ok to very ill to death. I think if people realised how quickly and lethally this virus can strike they might be more prepared to obey government guidelines in order to try and stamp it out. We live in hopes!

Unfortunately some people have no imagination and/or are too selfish. It must have been a shock for you and all your family to lose her as you did. Sending you a hug.

Jaberwok Tue 27-Oct-20 13:18:48

Thank you everyone. It certainly does bring it home as to how awful this virus is and how desperately important it is to beat it.