Gransnet forums

News & politics

We need a coup

(513 Posts)
GagaJo Thu 22-Oct-20 13:52:01

Whether it is an internal Tory overthrow or another political group, we need the current criminal incompetents removed from power. They are willfully causing needless C19 deaths and in-full-view pocketing tax payer money with only the flimsiest of attempts to pretend they're not.

I'm no Tory (god forbid) but bloody hell, what we need now is a Margaret Thatcher to sort this unholy mess Boris and his buddies are making.

GagaJo Tue 27-Oct-20 17:12:58

So Janpt. You are totally unable to answer and instead deflect attention. Even you have nothing good to say about them!

trisher Tue 27-Oct-20 17:50:15

Sparklefizz

trisher

I see no real positivity about what a great job the government is doing (I wonder why) just little digs at other posters. Just proves what a disaster this government is.

No, it proves that GN members have got enough going on in their lives to have to cope with, without having pointless arguments on here.

And yet posters have the time to write about Labour MPs children and their schooling!

Grany Wed 28-Oct-20 06:26:21

@JolyonMaugham

I gave an interview to German telly the other day. They couldn't understand why (most of) our media was ignoring what looked for all the world like powerful prima face evidence of, basically, corruption. It was a good question, and I gave it some proper thought.

Grany Wed 28-Oct-20 06:31:32

Court to Look into UK Government’s Concealed COVID-19 Spending

www.occrp.org/en/daily/13239-court-to-look-into-uk-government-s-concealed-covid-19-spending

Curlywhirly Wed 28-Oct-20 08:00:39

Court to Look into UK Government’s Concealed COVID-19 Spending

And about time too.

Grany Wed 28-Oct-20 08:41:20

A great victory for progressives in Chile's Referendum, showing how unity can build a better, more democratic society.

‘An End to the Chapter of Dictatorship’: Chileans Vote to Draft a New Constitution
Voters overwhelmingly approved a bid to scrap the charter inherited from Gen. Augusto Pinochet’s dictatorship, a move that could set a new course for the country.

The movement soon seized on a vehicle for their demands: Chile’s Constitution.

The existing charter, drafted without popular input during the military dictatorship of Gen. Augusto Pinochet and approved in a fraudulent plebiscite in 1980, was widely blamed for blocking change — and seen as a lingering link to a grim chapter in Chile’s history.

www.nytimes.com/2020/10/25/world/americas/chile-constitution-plebiscite.html

varian Sat 31-Oct-20 10:36:49

"I read Jonathan Freedland’s detailed and excellent summation of the way contracts and honours have been awarded in recent months by the government very shortly after I had emailed Anneliese Dodds precisely to urge the Labour party to do more to expose this pattern of behaviour.

I don’t understand why people still shy away from the word “corruption” in describing the awarding of contract after contract to friends, relatives and financial supporters of the government without any pretence of competitive tendering, or of checking the capacity and experience of the companies to carry out the work for which they are being paid. If this was any other country, corruption is the only word we would be using."

John Rowe

www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/aug/10/wheres-the-anger-over-these-dodgy-tory-deals

MawB2 Sat 31-Oct-20 10:42:23

Be careful what you wish for .
From Julius Caesar to Robespierre to The Russian revolution to Stalin to Mao to God knows how many African or Latin American countries - coups have rarely solved any problem and invariably contributed more to the sum of human suffering.

MaizieD Sat 31-Oct-20 11:00:51

A great victory for progressives in Chile's Referendum, showing how unity can build a better, more democratic society.

I don't think I have 40 years left to wait for a 'better, more democratic society' Grany. Chile had some pretty horrible times on route to it, too...

We need something less anarchic, like a general strike, or even all those tory stooge backbenchers rebelling and supporting a vote of no confidence, to get the govt out legally and effect change through parliament and our constitution.

GillT57 Sat 31-Oct-20 12:30:21

I would settle for a government doing what they are supposed to do, not just use it as an opportunity to line their friends pockets, gaslight the public and lead us head long into economic and cultural disaster. I don't want mobs and police on the streets, I don't want blood shed, I just want people to do what they were elected to do, and to the best of their ability, irrespective of their political beliefs.

Iam64 Sat 31-Oct-20 12:55:56

Now there's a thought GillT57, a government that has a transparent process and the tender that is best, even if it costs a little more gets the work.

varian Sat 31-Oct-20 12:58:15

It would be good to live in a democracy and not an "elective" dictatorship"