Gransnet forums

News & politics

Farcical - UK wants access to EU gates at airports to avoid queues

(124 Posts)
biba70 Sat 24-Oct-20 09:39:37

This is getting ridiculous- and they blame the EU for being 'difficult'. So weird.

lemongrove Sat 24-Oct-20 11:12:45

Even better......have a holiday in the UK instead and boost our own economy.?

biba70 Sat 24-Oct-20 11:17:28

Ah yes, I see.

Funny that one of the reasons I took on British nationality before the UK joined the EU- was because I had had really bad experiences having to queue in the 'aliens' queue for ages, whilst OH and baby whizzed through UK queue, and had to wait for me for ages- baby screaming to be fed.

biba70 Sat 24-Oct-20 11:32:07

so next they will be asking for fast UK only queues to Turkey - but certainly will NOT be prepared to reciprocate, somehow. Oh dear.

Urmstongran Sat 24-Oct-20 11:37:30

And if they're all flocking to Turkey or the US won't the queues be just as bad?

You could be right there MaizieD but if the EU organise a ‘go slow’ queue at their airports then visitors won’t be spending their euros there - they’d take satisfaction in giving their holiday dollars (or whatever) to places outside of Europe which will be satisfying in itself if hold ups are manufactured.

I don’t mind a queue myself. I’m a patient soul. I’m retired & not in a rush anytime. Actually I’d expect a delay if I’m honest as we won’t be part of the EU. So what?
#notbothered

grandtanteJE65 Sat 24-Oct-20 11:40:34

Actually, if a war should break out and the EU say your'e on your own, mates, the brexiters would turn round and say, "We were last time, too"

MayBee70 Sat 24-Oct-20 11:41:09

It’s like what that man: I think it was the President of Luxembourg or somewhere like that said. ages ago: When they were in the EU they wanted lots of opt outs and now they’re out they want lots of opt ins’.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 24-Oct-20 11:43:12

We traveled round the world before we joined the EU, we shall continue (Covid permitting) to travel worldwide after we leave the EU.

Storm in a teacup brew

petra Sat 24-Oct-20 11:48:23

I would like a pound for every hour I've sat waiting to cross into Gibraltar and shuffled along at Malaga airport.

felice Sat 24-Oct-20 11:54:19

Will it work the other way I wonder, Last year I took my 8 year old Belgian Grandson, the very aggressive lady at passport control told me he would have to go through a different channel alone once they have 'got rid of them'.

Pantglas2 Sat 24-Oct-20 11:56:42

The UK allows citizens of Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, the US, Singapore and South Korea to use biometric passports to pass through automatic gates on arrival. The government has said in a paper on the UK’s post-Brexit border operating model that it will “ensure that EU, EEA and Swiss citizens may also continue to use our e-passport gates and the existing queueing arrangements”.

This is the paragraph from the Guardian I was quoting from MaizieD, again, I don’t see why the EU wouldn’t reciprocate, do you?

Welshwife Sat 24-Oct-20 12:04:33

I wonder if those with residence permits in a Schengen country will still need to go through non EU passports or if they will create a ‘new class of passports’.
Could be that the permit will allow access on its own as an identity card does now - although U.K. has already said that identity cards will no longer be enough and passports will be obligatory for EU citizens in Jan.

EllanVannin Sat 24-Oct-20 12:06:54

I'm like you Urmston with the queues. I once stood in a queue at Sydney airport ( arrivals ) waiting with passport in hand for nearly 2 hours only to be prodded in the back by a woman waving a green passport in my face grin I was in the wrong queue !
Undeterred I sauntered over to the right one. You know that you're not going to reach your destination any quicker so you may as well be laid back about it.

biba70 Sat 24-Oct-20 12:07:33

GG13 this storm in this teacup is very much made by Brexiters! They are the ones going crazy on Brexiter sites and Press.

biba70 Sat 24-Oct-20 12:15:28

Very unlikely Welshwife- but then a massive number of UK immigrants into the EU have applied for nationality of their country of chosen residence, in response to this debâcle. One more reason for them to do so.

Maggiemaybe Sat 24-Oct-20 12:17:22

Hardly a big deal, is it? Wherever we’ve travelled in the world, the queue has never been so bad it’s life-changing.

On our most recent European holidays, the EU citizens queue has been the longer one anyway.

Alegrias2 Sat 24-Oct-20 12:30:56

Pantglas2

The UK allows citizens of Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, the US, Singapore and South Korea to use biometric passports to pass through automatic gates on arrival. The government has said in a paper on the UK’s post-Brexit border operating model that it will “ensure that EU, EEA and Swiss citizens may also continue to use our e-passport gates and the existing queueing arrangements”.

This is the paragraph from the Guardian I was quoting from MaizieD, again, I don’t see why the EU wouldn’t reciprocate, do you?

I can see why the EU wouldn't reciprocate, so I'm going to jump in and answer this, I hope that's OK with Pantglas and Maizie.

The UK have decided to let the groups you mention use the e-passport gates when they arrive in the UK. The EU are abiding by their own laws, which state that the e-gates are restricted to holders of EU/EEA/CH passports. This is in the Guardian article as well.

They could decide to change that law, of course, but what would be their incentive for that? To please us, when we have been telling them how much we don't want to be part of their club any more? I expect they don't see any benefit in changing this law at the moment, and that is being portrayed in the pro-Brexit press as them being unfair.

vegansrock Sat 24-Oct-20 12:31:06

Reminds me to apply for my Irish Passport

Pantglas2 Sat 24-Oct-20 12:41:41

Thanks for the input Alegria and I can see that the EU can decide not to reciprocate (for whatever reason, their choice).

However, the UK can then decide to go back on what they’ve stated and make things awkward for EU citizens coming to the UK!

I don’t understand cutting off your nose to spite your face on something so easily resolved. Surely reciprocal is better for all?

On a personal level, it bothers me not a jot whether I stand in one queue or another going on holiday - I’ll obviously gain on the return!

suziewoozie Sat 24-Oct-20 12:47:21

Urmstongran

Europe want & need holiday makers. If queues are ridiculous early next year then UK holiday folk will just think ‘sod it’ and go to Turkey or the USA to spend their cash. Covid permitting of course.

Money talks.

I wouldn’t go to Turkey or USA if you paid me - as if either of those are alternatives to the endless choice and possibilities of Europe ( if and when of course)

Alegrias2 Sat 24-Oct-20 12:48:13

I don’t understand cutting off your nose to spite your face on something so easily resolved. Surely reciprocal is better for all?
Sorry Pantglas but its not as simple as that. It is a big thing for the EU. Schengen is such a major part of the EU project, that changing it for what is undoubtedly a fairly minor thing wouldn't be worth their while. I may of course be wrong, maybe they will change, but I wouldn't blame them if they don't. I see in the Guardian article that they might have suitable technology in place by 2022.

biba70 Sat 24-Oct-20 12:56:31

Part of the reason of course, if that the UK will be cut off from the information and intelligence sharing re terrorists- so cannot possibly be in a fast queue- as all passports will have to be checked from their own records. Did you see Mrs May's face the other day in the HoC, when Gove said we would be safer post EU membership, when we won't have access to terrorist information sharing ?!? Basically, as we won't share that intelligence platform any longer with the EU, UK citizens will automaticaly be potential terrorists.

Firecracker123 Sat 24-Oct-20 13:01:33

Turkey is a beautiful safe place and they love the British obviously the posters decrying it have never been. As for the airport hardly any queues at all far quicker than Manchester Airport.

I'm boycotting the EU.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 24-Oct-20 13:04:49

Firecracker123

Turkey is a beautiful safe place and they love the British obviously the posters decrying it have never been. As for the airport hardly any queues at all far quicker than Manchester Airport.

I'm boycotting the EU.

Totally agree, a country rich in history, fabulous architecture, beautiful people with the added attraction of beautiful beaches, tasty food and top class hotels.

Istanbul is simply magnificent.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 24-Oct-20 13:06:42

Intelligence agencies operate worldwide, last time I checked the whole world was not part of the EU.

Maggiemaybe Sat 24-Oct-20 13:13:24

Surely only someone who’s never been to the US could imply that it’s lacking in endless choice and possibilities!