Gransnet forums

News & politics

Farcical - UK wants access to EU gates at airports to avoid queues

(124 Posts)
biba70 Sat 24-Oct-20 09:39:37

This is getting ridiculous- and they blame the EU for being 'difficult'. So weird.

biba70 Sat 24-Oct-20 17:12:32

Above from BBC News Service.

JenniferEccles Sat 24-Oct-20 17:56:39

How lovely GG13! I bet you are looking forward to it.

We have visited quite a few islands on cruises from Barbados and I would be hard pressed to pick a favourite as they all have something to offer.

MaizieD Sat 24-Oct-20 17:59:22

suziewoozie

MaizieD

Nobody on this thread has been decrying Turkey at all. Where on earth did you get that ridiculous idea from, *Firecracke

I did it - I did. I wouldn’t visit there - don’t you know about its human rights record?

Apologies, suziewoozie, I missed your post.

I get really tired of people telling us what we 'used to do'. I doubt if anyone under the age of 50 has any notion of 'what we used to do' and won't be too pleased at having to start now.

I've always really appreciated how very easy it has been to travel in EU countries without having to do any of the stuff Brexiteers are happy to do. It still p8sses me off that I am going to have to do it because of their choice..

biba70 Sat 24-Oct-20 18:26:42

yes, youngsters can't believe it when I tell them I had to queue in the 'Aliens' queue- separately from my husband and baby. Or that I had to fully retake my driving licence, when I became permanent resident in the UK- in English- both practical and theory part- no exchange possible now.

Imagine all the older Brexiters living in the EU if they had to do that now? In French, or German, Spanish, etc, and on 'wrong' side of the road. I'd never seen a roundabout before.

Summerlove Sat 24-Oct-20 18:34:32

Pantglas2

The Guardian article states that the UK will allow EU citizens to use that system after Brexit so why wouldn’t the EU reciprocate?

Because they don’t want to and don’t have to?

Lucca Sat 24-Oct-20 18:35:22

Firecracker123

Turkey is a beautiful safe place and they love the British obviously the posters decrying it have never been. As for the airport hardly any queues at all far quicker than Manchester Airport.

I'm boycotting the EU.

. “Im boycotting the EU“. Sorry but that made me laugh. The whole of the EU must be quaking in its collective boots.

biba70 Sat 24-Oct-20 18:42:29

And as said before, when all the Brexiters boycott the UK to go to Turkey, the queues there will be massive. Now, will the Brexiters be happy to reciprocate fast access for Turkish citizens (I do believe we know the answer)

Summerlove Sat 24-Oct-20 18:43:30

“Surely reciprocal is better for all?”

Wasn’t that the point of the EU?

Which the UK is leaving?

Why choose leave if you want reciprocity? Boggles the mind

Pantglas2 Sat 24-Oct-20 18:56:55

I agree Summerlove - they obviously don’t want to and certainly don’t have to.

No country has to, do they? Rules change all the time - as Biba has found to her cost when she planned her live of ease flitting back and forth and now they’re changing again.

I’m another who’ll be inconvenienced but I’ll simply get on with it, there are other countries I’d love to visit while I rent out my Casa in Spain. Ever the optimistic traveler, too old to change my nature now?

Urmstongran Sat 24-Oct-20 20:33:37

The point here however- is that those going berserk about this- are the Brexiters, who voted for this- which is so ironical.

Yet if I may say so biba as a Remainer you seem so much more het up about this issue than us ‘Brexiteers’!

Chill.
?

biba70 Sat 24-Oct-20 20:42:45

'Chill' comment is so out of order, and you know it.

Please go and see the dreadful comments from Brexit supporting rags and FB sites, etc- and tell them to chill- they really do need it.

Urmstongran Sat 24-Oct-20 20:55:46

No biba I don’t know it. I can only go off what I read on this thread and sadly you seem so much more het up about the possibility of extended queuing times than any of us who voted Leave.

Urmstongran Sat 24-Oct-20 20:56:32

Ps I don’t do FB. Never have.
?

lemongrove Sat 24-Oct-20 21:15:07

Why would we ( or you ) biba want to read any comments in rags or FB about this?
If it makes you feel angry then stop reading these things.

MawB2 Sat 24-Oct-20 21:21:02

Not something I’m getting hot under the collar about either.
Not planning to fly abroad till goodness knows when, and IMO there are many much more serious things to worry about than whether or not anybody has to queue - and indeed who is fussing about it.
If some people want to ask/moan/agitate - so be it , I’m agog with indifference.

Pantglas2 Sat 24-Oct-20 21:26:52

? ‘Agog with indifference’ is a lovely turn of phrase, Maw - hope you don’t mind me plagiarising that one!

biba70 Sat 24-Oct-20 21:30:04

Ah lovely- as said, if you read those comments, you would realise how many are agog with vitriol on this issue- and all Brexiters- I think that was the point. They voted for it ...

biba70 Sat 24-Oct-20 21:31:12

would anyone bother to post if they were such? really.

MawB2 Sat 24-Oct-20 21:36:01

Yes- simply to show that there are views other than those expressed in your OP .

In the immortal words of the fragrant Lauren “Is I bovvered?”

GagaJo Sat 24-Oct-20 21:38:41

EllanVannin

I don't blame the EU for being stroppy. You ain't seen nothing yet.

Quite.

biba70 Sat 24-Oct-20 21:39:09

The views in my OP = that it is ridiculous to blame the EU for this. Bovvered or not, can you dispute that it is indeed ridiculous.

merlotgran Sat 24-Oct-20 21:44:22

There are so many turnarounds at the moment who knows what rules may be relaxed or completely shelved in order to help the travel industry get back on its feet.

Hetty58 Sat 24-Oct-20 21:50:54

The EU is not being stroppy or spiteful at all. They will make arrangements that suit them. They won't be dictated to or walked over by the UK.

At the end of the day, though, it's simply not in their interests to be difficult or obstructive. When something needs changing to make it work, it soon happens.

lemongrove Sat 24-Oct-20 22:00:08

Just as the UK is not stroppy or spiteful either, and won’t be dictated to or walked over by the EU Hetty
It’s in nobody’s interest to be obstructive, it’s business after all. They ( the EU) have to remember that we are a sovereign country now and not still part of the bloc.

petra Sat 24-Oct-20 23:10:03

biba70
You object to chill what about: put a sock in it.