Gransnet forums

News & politics

Happy to subsidise our mps food?

(33 Posts)
MissAdventure Wed 28-Oct-20 21:41:52

No?
Perhaps you may be interested in signing this petition, particularly in light of how many voted not to give £15 a week towards the poorest children's nutritional needs.

you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/stop-mps-entitlement-to-free-work-meals?share=3354a99e-e374-402c-a0cb-ba21447ef0c9&source=&utm_source=

silverlining48 Thu 29-Oct-20 09:07:47

I signed a few days ago. Lets hope it does make a difference, or at least shames them a little.... ( as if!).

petra Thu 29-Oct-20 09:22:08

MissAdventure
Did you see the empty plate protest outside the office of David Amess?
I have to say that I was surprised at him because I know how much he does behind the scenes with helping people, particularly with the mesh implant scandal.

annodomini Thu 29-Oct-20 09:28:46

Is it the case that, having consumed their subsidised gourmet lunches, the MPs, having paid for them, can then put their lunches on their expenses forms? I have my suspicions.

MissAdventure Thu 29-Oct-20 09:33:39

I did, petra, and thought it was a brilliant way to make a point.
Also, some eating places have banned him.

I was disappointed, but not at all surprised that Rebecca Harris voted against free meals, too.

Americanpie Thu 29-Oct-20 09:38:52

Thanks just signed.

Charleygirl5 Thu 29-Oct-20 09:41:50

I have also just signed. It is disgraceful.

Dinahmo Thu 29-Oct-20 19:36:08

Many, many years ago I did a holiday job at a factory assisting the Cordon Bleu cook who used to do the Directors' lunches. There was a works canteen, a dining room for the executives and one for the directors. The one for the directors was a cut above that of the executives. None of the groups would have wanted to change places and eat in the other canteens.

Not long afterwards my OH was in Northern Italy and went to the Olivetti factory and ate in the canteen. The MD and other directors ate in the same canteen every day and ate the same food as the workers.

Perhaps things are a bit different now?