Gransnet forums

News & politics

Happy to subsidise our mps food?

(32 Posts)
MissAdventure Wed 28-Oct-20 21:41:52

No?
Perhaps you may be interested in signing this petition, particularly in light of how many voted not to give £15 a week towards the poorest children's nutritional needs.

you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/stop-mps-entitlement-to-free-work-meals?share=3354a99e-e374-402c-a0cb-ba21447ef0c9&source=&utm_source=

EllanVannin Wed 28-Oct-20 21:50:27

What ? Never. Overfed windbags ! They're all millionaires for God's sake.

Dinahmo Wed 28-Oct-20 21:53:57

Signed

MissAdventure Wed 28-Oct-20 22:02:30

Thank you.
I was going to tack this onto the school dinners thread, but thought it deserved one of it's own.

MaizieD Wed 28-Oct-20 22:04:36

I signed a few days ago.

An MP on twitter was trying to make out that the Members Dining room was just like any old works canteen with subsidised food. hmm Have you seen the menus?

(To be fair, not all MPs are wealthy.)

Pantglas2 Wed 28-Oct-20 22:11:54

I worked for an emergency service and they had a canteen serving hot meals for around £3, rolls for £1 etc. They weren’t subsidised, just not profit making. Nothing like the MPs choices, mind!

PECS Wed 28-Oct-20 22:12:54

I think that if workplace canteens are subsidised it is hard to say to the CEO but you can't have a coffee & sandwich here. I have a friend whose place of work serves lovely food in their cafe and that is subsidised so it happens in private business too.

The HoP is , allegedly, available to all those who work there.
To make it work more fairly those earning less than a certain amount could be provided with a discount card to present when paying. Those that can afford to pay should pay. I think MPs earn enough to pay the going rate for their lunches. They are only supposed to claim expenses for food , no alcohol, if they are away from home on Parliamentary business.

MissAdventure Wed 28-Oct-20 22:13:19

Emergency services don't have the power to suspend our money on their greedy selves.

MissAdventure Wed 28-Oct-20 22:13:51

Spend!!

PECS Wed 28-Oct-20 22:14:22

sorry managed to delete 'canteen'..should read "The HoP canteen is"

Esspee Wed 28-Oct-20 22:15:44

Signed a few days ago too. Bloody disgrace. They are well paid and get huge expenses plus they should not be drinking alcohol at work so I think the liquor licence should be cancelled.

ginny Wed 28-Oct-20 22:18:26

Signed last week.

Doodledog Wed 28-Oct-20 22:35:09

To make it work more fairly those earning less than a certain amount could be provided with a discount card to present when paying. Those that can afford to pay should pay.

If you are talking about people who earn very little, then it wouldn't be fair at all - as soon as someone got a pay rise they would lose it in lunch bills, or have to bring in sandwiches. Means testing always levels down, not up.

If you are talking about MPs on £75k a year, then it's impossible to defend subsidised food when they are voting against the poor being given a few quid to feed hungry children, but it would get silly to allow some people in and others not (and not as economical as catering for larger numbers). The ones who claim for getting their moats cleaned would find a way around it anyway.

I think it would make more sense to have a menu of soup and sandwiches/baked potatoes or similar, as Pantglas describes, regardless of earnings. They could take it or leave it and go to The Ivy instead if they aren't impressed.

MissAdventure Wed 28-Oct-20 22:37:58

The info with the petition has a link to show what mps can claim for, on top of their 70 odd grand a year.
They certainly aren't going short of anything!

Lucca Wed 28-Oct-20 22:42:04

I signed too and today was very p....d off to read that my local MP (for whom I did not vote ) was one of those who voted against FSM.

MissAdventure Wed 28-Oct-20 22:46:18

Mine, too.

Chewbacca Wed 28-Oct-20 23:00:46

And mine. He's a useless $%@# anyway and it should have surprised me that he was one of those who voted against. But it didn't.

Signed

Chewbacca Wed 28-Oct-20 23:02:30

Almost 979,000 signatures now

MissAdventure Wed 28-Oct-20 23:09:24

smile good, good!
Not that I think it will make any difference.

Esspee Thu 29-Oct-20 07:45:33

MaizieD

I signed a few days ago.

An MP on twitter was trying to make out that the Members Dining room was just like any old works canteen with subsidised food. hmm Have you seen the menus?

(To be fair, not all MPs are wealthy.)

No all MPs are wealthy?
If I had a salary of £82,000 a year, allowances to maintain a residence in London or in my own constituency, allowances to maintain an office and office staff (very often family), stationery and postage paid (now you understand why you get a Christmas card from your MP), subsidised meals, huge pension etc. I would consider myself wealthy. But then I’m an OAP, what do I know?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 29-Oct-20 07:48:41

They should take sandwiches like everyone else.

Dwmxwg Thu 29-Oct-20 07:48:57

Read and signed

grannysyb Thu 29-Oct-20 08:46:15

Signed

Iam64 Thu 29-Oct-20 08:54:10

Signed a few days ago. Thanks for starting this separate thread Miss Adventure, you're right it deserves it's own place rather than tacking on to the FSM discussion

The menu choices, along with prices made me so cross. Talk about elitist.

MaizieD Thu 29-Oct-20 08:54:44

I should have been more specific, Esspee, and pointed out that my comment was in response to EV saying that MPs are all millionaires.

They are not.