Gransnet forums

News & politics

Happy to subsidise our mps food?

(33 Posts)
MissAdventure Wed 28-Oct-20 21:41:52

No?
Perhaps you may be interested in signing this petition, particularly in light of how many voted not to give £15 a week towards the poorest children's nutritional needs.

you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/stop-mps-entitlement-to-free-work-meals?share=3354a99e-e374-402c-a0cb-ba21447ef0c9&source=&utm_source=

Dinahmo Thu 29-Oct-20 19:36:08

Many, many years ago I did a holiday job at a factory assisting the Cordon Bleu cook who used to do the Directors' lunches. There was a works canteen, a dining room for the executives and one for the directors. The one for the directors was a cut above that of the executives. None of the groups would have wanted to change places and eat in the other canteens.

Not long afterwards my OH was in Northern Italy and went to the Olivetti factory and ate in the canteen. The MD and other directors ate in the same canteen every day and ate the same food as the workers.

Perhaps things are a bit different now?

Charleygirl5 Thu 29-Oct-20 09:41:50

I have also just signed. It is disgraceful.

Americanpie Thu 29-Oct-20 09:38:52

Thanks just signed.

MissAdventure Thu 29-Oct-20 09:33:39

I did, petra, and thought it was a brilliant way to make a point.
Also, some eating places have banned him.

I was disappointed, but not at all surprised that Rebecca Harris voted against free meals, too.

annodomini Thu 29-Oct-20 09:28:46

Is it the case that, having consumed their subsidised gourmet lunches, the MPs, having paid for them, can then put their lunches on their expenses forms? I have my suspicions.

petra Thu 29-Oct-20 09:22:08

MissAdventure
Did you see the empty plate protest outside the office of David Amess?
I have to say that I was surprised at him because I know how much he does behind the scenes with helping people, particularly with the mesh implant scandal.

silverlining48 Thu 29-Oct-20 09:07:47

I signed a few days ago. Lets hope it does make a difference, or at least shames them a little.... ( as if!).

MaizieD Thu 29-Oct-20 08:54:44

I should have been more specific, Esspee, and pointed out that my comment was in response to EV saying that MPs are all millionaires.

They are not.

Iam64 Thu 29-Oct-20 08:54:10

Signed a few days ago. Thanks for starting this separate thread Miss Adventure, you're right it deserves it's own place rather than tacking on to the FSM discussion

The menu choices, along with prices made me so cross. Talk about elitist.

grannysyb Thu 29-Oct-20 08:46:15

Signed

Dwmxwg Thu 29-Oct-20 07:48:57

Read and signed

Whitewavemark2 Thu 29-Oct-20 07:48:41

They should take sandwiches like everyone else.

Esspee Thu 29-Oct-20 07:45:33

MaizieD

I signed a few days ago.

An MP on twitter was trying to make out that the Members Dining room was just like any old works canteen with subsidised food. hmm Have you seen the menus?

(To be fair, not all MPs are wealthy.)

No all MPs are wealthy?
If I had a salary of £82,000 a year, allowances to maintain a residence in London or in my own constituency, allowances to maintain an office and office staff (very often family), stationery and postage paid (now you understand why you get a Christmas card from your MP), subsidised meals, huge pension etc. I would consider myself wealthy. But then I’m an OAP, what do I know?

MissAdventure Wed 28-Oct-20 23:09:24

smile good, good!
Not that I think it will make any difference.

Chewbacca Wed 28-Oct-20 23:02:30

Almost 979,000 signatures now

Chewbacca Wed 28-Oct-20 23:00:46

And mine. He's a useless $%@# anyway and it should have surprised me that he was one of those who voted against. But it didn't.

Signed

MissAdventure Wed 28-Oct-20 22:46:18

Mine, too.

Lucca Wed 28-Oct-20 22:42:04

I signed too and today was very p....d off to read that my local MP (for whom I did not vote ) was one of those who voted against FSM.

MissAdventure Wed 28-Oct-20 22:37:58

The info with the petition has a link to show what mps can claim for, on top of their 70 odd grand a year.
They certainly aren't going short of anything!

Doodledog Wed 28-Oct-20 22:35:09

To make it work more fairly those earning less than a certain amount could be provided with a discount card to present when paying. Those that can afford to pay should pay.

If you are talking about people who earn very little, then it wouldn't be fair at all - as soon as someone got a pay rise they would lose it in lunch bills, or have to bring in sandwiches. Means testing always levels down, not up.

If you are talking about MPs on £75k a year, then it's impossible to defend subsidised food when they are voting against the poor being given a few quid to feed hungry children, but it would get silly to allow some people in and others not (and not as economical as catering for larger numbers). The ones who claim for getting their moats cleaned would find a way around it anyway.

I think it would make more sense to have a menu of soup and sandwiches/baked potatoes or similar, as Pantglas describes, regardless of earnings. They could take it or leave it and go to The Ivy instead if they aren't impressed.

ginny Wed 28-Oct-20 22:18:26

Signed last week.

Esspee Wed 28-Oct-20 22:15:44

Signed a few days ago too. Bloody disgrace. They are well paid and get huge expenses plus they should not be drinking alcohol at work so I think the liquor licence should be cancelled.

PECS Wed 28-Oct-20 22:14:22

sorry managed to delete 'canteen'..should read "The HoP canteen is"

MissAdventure Wed 28-Oct-20 22:13:51

Spend!!

MissAdventure Wed 28-Oct-20 22:13:19

Emergency services don't have the power to suspend our money on their greedy selves.