Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jeremy Corbyn suspended from Labour Party

(1001 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Thu 29-Oct-20 13:35:00

According to the Guardian on line 1.08pm

A spokesman for the Labour Party said today "In light of comments made today and his failure to retract them subse, the Labour Party has suspended Jeremy. Robyn pending investigation.

He has also had the whip removed from the Parliamentary Labour Party.

This is after the release of the antisemitism report.

GagaJo Thu 29-Oct-20 14:28:49

No, of course not. And years ago, I saw it as almost a utopian state and way of life. But I can't support a state/country that is trying to wipe out another nation/people.

I am not a bigot of any kind, ethnicity, race, nationality or religion. But we need to support the weak and condemn those that try to harm them, regardless of the crimes that have been committed against them in the past.

I haven't personally heard that Starmer is supportive of the Israeli government (and I don't believe the MSM, I would research that for myself), but if he is, while he is leader, no, I would not support Labour.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 29-Oct-20 14:29:16

Iam64

The report found the Labour Party had breached the equality act in unlawful harassment and indirect discrimination towards the Jewish community.

Isn't that serious enough? Support for the Palestinian cause is not anti semitic. Disliking the current Israeli government isn't anti semitic. Yet we have one poster saying that Starmer is "very pro Israel" , and other who responds that if that's so, they'll never vote Labour again. The muddle between anti semitism and opposition to the actions of the current Israeli government is a recurrent theme. Or, did you mean Gaga that you wouldn't vote Labour if Starmer is pro Israel? Do you believe the state has no right to exist.

I agree

petra Thu 29-Oct-20 14:30:02

Iam64
do you believe the state has no right to exist
Good point. It becomes very clear where all this support for corbyn is coming from.

MayBee70 Thu 29-Oct-20 14:30:33

Whatever happened to the Conservative party investigation into anti Muslim attitudes as promised in live tv during one of the debates? As for Corbyn I agree he is, at heart a decent person but he made the same mistake that Johnson has by surrounding himself with inexperienced party members who just happened to support him and sending all the experienced people to the back benches (eg Yvette Cooper, Hilary Benn).It allowed people like a Chris Williamson to rise (temporarily) to the top. And he was a weak opposition leader, too at a time when we needed someone experienced and strong.

Grany Thu 29-Oct-20 14:31:05

I thinks it's the Israel lobby Starmer and the right are supporters of .

Callistemon Thu 29-Oct-20 14:33:42

surrounding himself with inexperienced party members who just happened to support him and sending all the experienced people to the back benches (eg Yvette Cooper, Hilary Benn)

It's a tactic to make a leader (in any sphere) appear more experienced and intelligent than they actually are.

Anniebach Thu 29-Oct-20 14:34:20

Corbyn didn’t send the experienced MP’s to the back benches
they voted no confidence in him and they returned to the back
benches.

GagaJo Thu 29-Oct-20 14:34:23

I would go as far as to say that the current Israeli goverment deliberately fosters confusion between anti government feeling and anti semitism. While they can claim bigotry, they can deflect the criticism of their heavy violence against Palestine.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 29-Oct-20 14:41:39

GagaJo

I would go as far as to say that the current Israeli goverment deliberately fosters confusion between anti government feeling and anti semitism. While they can claim bigotry, they can deflect the criticism of their heavy violence against Palestine.

Undoubtedly Israel is ill served by Netanyahu, but fundamentally the Israeli state absolutely understands the difference between criticism of its actions and antisemitism.

As should we all,

GagaJo Thu 29-Oct-20 14:44:00

It seems logical to me.

Illte Thu 29-Oct-20 14:44:04

It’s a subject that emotively I find very difficult.

For me, what was happening in the Labour Party was not about the Israeli State but about Anti-Semitism that focused on individuals and communities in Britain.

It was the reason I could not vote Labour in the last election. There was a very real sense of fear as to what would happen if this was not just the Opposition but The Government with a Prime Minister who was permissive at the least, if not more and openly Anti-Semitic individuals in positions of power.

I welcome Keir Starmers words but it will be a long time before I can vote Labour again.

trisher Thu 29-Oct-20 14:47:40

Iam64 I believe Israel has a perfect right to exist. I don't believe Israel has the right to persecute Palestinians or to interfere in the politics of another country in order to minimise support for Palestine. I do think Zionists interfered in the process of the last election (and there is video made by a Zionist activist congratulating people on defeating Corbyn). This combined with the actions of the right wing LP officials makes me fear for democracy.

GillT57 Thu 29-Oct-20 14:48:28

I would go as far as to say that the current Israeli goverment deliberately fosters confusion between anti government feeling and anti semitism. While they can claim bigotry, they can deflect the criticism of their heavy violence against Palestine

Undoubtedly Israel is ill served by Netanyahu Worth pointing out here that Kushner, son in law and unelected whatever of the Trump administration has very strong family ties with Netanyahu.

As to Corbyn situation, it is worth comparing the swift discipline compared to that administered within the Tory party where no bad deed goes unrewarded. I hope that LP can now put this unpleasant period behind them, issues which laid them open to criticism and deflection by the press. I always thought Corbyn to be a well meaning, principled, if rather weak leader, and in these dark days we need strength.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 29-Oct-20 14:49:23

Illte

It’s a subject that emotively I find very difficult.

For me, what was happening in the Labour Party was not about the Israeli State but about Anti-Semitism that focused on individuals and communities in Britain.

It was the reason I could not vote Labour in the last election. There was a very real sense of fear as to what would happen if this was not just the Opposition but The Government with a Prime Minister who was permissive at the least, if not more and openly Anti-Semitic individuals in positions of power.

I welcome Keir Starmers words but it will be a long time before I can vote Labour again.

I absolutely empathise with your post.

trisher Thu 29-Oct-20 14:55:44

If you doubt about interference Joe Glasman Israeli lobbyist tried to have this removed ttps://electronicintifada.net/blogs/asa-winstanley/we-slaughtered-jeremy-corbyn-says-israel-lobbyist

trisher Thu 29-Oct-20 14:57:01

Sorry try again electronicintifada.net/blogs/asa-winstanley/we-slaughtered-jeremy-corbyn-says-israel-lobbyist

lemongrove Thu 29-Oct-20 14:59:15

This report isn’t about pro or anti Palestine support....and everybody knows it.
It’s a damning report on how anti-Semitism was allowed to flourish in the LP under Corbyn.
No matter what weasel words he now comes up with, the buck stopped with him and he was unable or unwilling to put a stop to it.I remember ( am sure others do) how many GN members swore blind there was very little anti-Semitism in the LP, it was all ‘anti Corbyn’ and right wing media lies.
They were in denial then, and it seems maybe still are!
I thought both Margaret Hodge and Keir Starmer spoke well
today, and as Corbyn is still denying problems, right that he should be suspended.In any case, as Hodge stated he is ‘yesterday’s man’ and of no relevance now.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 29-Oct-20 15:02:06

Of course there will be political motivation to de-rail any politician, just as I like to see that happening to the Tory party. That has always happened. But if, during an ex leaders time it was found that serious allegations of anti-semitism has been upheld then rather throwing your toys out of the pram in petulance a dignified resignation is more appropriate.

I now wait for the same sort of investigation to take place with the Tory party and the islamaphobia that has been so often reported.

suziewoozie Thu 29-Oct-20 15:03:08

‘Corbyn is responsible as leader and he should have offered his resignation regardless of any other issue‘

Yes to this WW and KS has done exactly the right thing in suspending him following the provocative statement JC issued this morning. He can’t expel him immediately - there has to be due process but I can see it coming. It’s a ridiculous comment Janpt to say KS has suspended him to increase his own popularity. He’s suspended him because it’s unquestionably the right and only thing to do.

sodapop Thu 29-Oct-20 15:04:28

I agree lemongrove Corbyn did very little to stop the anti semitism. You have to wonder why,

GagaJo Thu 29-Oct-20 15:04:51

Fat chance WWM. Right wing politics and bigotry go hand in hand. They're not going to bite the hand that feeds them.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 29-Oct-20 15:05:24

Totally agree Whitewavemark2 any evidence of isms or phobias in any public organisation including Parliamentary Parties should be investigated and the results made public!

Teetime Thu 29-Oct-20 15:18:56

In response to the OP and admitting I haven't read on the posts on this thread I will just record my view that its good news that JC has been suspended I might reconsider returning to the fold now.

Iam64 Thu 29-Oct-20 15:46:11

Illte I'm another who empathises with your post. I heard the families of holocaust survivors in our area saying their elderly relatives had left the party where they always felt at home. Not only had they left Labour, there was talk of having a suit case ready by the door in case they had to flee again.

I've also heard Corbyn supporters in the LP say they don't support Starmer because he's a zionist as his wife and children are Jewish. The definition of Zionist is - a supporter of Zionism: a person who believes in the development and protection of a Jewish nation in what is now Israel. No doubt someone will criticise me for seeing the use of Zionist as a term of abuse, which is what it's become in some parts. Of course, its the term Livingstone used to describe Mr Hitler isn't it.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 29-Oct-20 15:52:07

Carole Morgan (?) has organised a Go Fund Me for Jeremy Corbyns Legal Fund target of £20,000 it has currently raised £336,238 !

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion