Gransnet forums

News & politics

Conservative party internal investigation into racism

(93 Posts)
PECS Sun 01-Nov-20 16:13:28

About 500 days ago BJ promised an investigation into accusations of anti Islamic behavious and attitues.. Have I missed the publication of the report?

PECS Sun 01-Nov-20 22:29:59

I am not minimising anti-Semitism & am very aware of hideous behaviours & attitudes towards Jewish people/ groups & have stood side by side with friends to oppose anti Semitism. I just see it as unacceptable as any other form of racism.

biba70 Sun 01-Nov-20 22:56:01

This- exactly.

Callistemon Sun 01-Nov-20 23:45:50

Whitewavemark2

The investigation has been shelved.

Is that because other circumstances have taken over and that is just temporary?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 02-Nov-20 05:40:25

Callistemon

Whitewavemark2

The investigation has been shelved.

Is that because other circumstances have taken over and that is just temporary?

I very much doubt it. I suspect it will be shelved until they are forced by law to investigate all the many complaints.

Tories are very good at hiding their dirty linen.

Deny always deny.

lemongrove Mon 02-Nov-20 07:11:27

The thing is WW that is simply your opinion, the answer to Callistemon’s question is that we don’t know why it has been put ( if indeed it has been) on the back burner.
It seems logical that with the Brexit trade negotiations going on and Covid ramping up, that all time consuming inquiries are put on hold......but yes, that’s just another opinion as well.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 02-Nov-20 07:20:00

lemongrove

The thing is WW that is simply your opinion, the answer to Callistemon’s question is that we don’t know why it has been put ( if indeed it has been) on the back burner.
It seems logical that with the Brexit trade negotiations going on and Covid ramping up, that all time consuming inquiries are put on hold......but yes, that’s just another opinion as well.

Do you know that it is still a live issue then?

I heard quite the opposite and that it is being buried.

As I said very good at hiding dirty linen if all sorts.

lemongrove Mon 02-Nov-20 07:33:48

I haven’t ‘heard’ ( on the grapevine or otherwise) anything about it .....even that there was an inquiry/ investigation.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 02-Nov-20 07:34:52

lemongrove

I haven’t ‘heard’ ( on the grapevine or otherwise) anything about it .....even that there was an inquiry/ investigation.

Oh!

Davidhs Mon 02-Nov-20 07:36:01

It is simply not true that right wing Tories are racist, it doesn’t matter what colour you are, if you are lower class - a servant, you are nothing.

They treat underlings like dirt, their public face all smiley, the opposite when they let their guard down in private. Priti Patel is a good example, the men are just as bad

biba70 Mon 02-Nov-20 10:04:24

We are not talking about racism here David, but Islamophobia- two very different things.

Callistemon Mon 02-Nov-20 10:22:31

So - does anyone know if the enquiry is on temporary hold with everything that is going on or not? Or quietly forgotten?

Perhaps now that EHRC have reported on the LP they will change their minds and decide to take this one over if no progress has been made.

biba70 Mon 02-Nov-20 11:57:50

I do think us, hte public, should ensure that we ask for it, and make very sure they are aware that we have NOT forgotten. Press? MPs? Question Time?

sparklingsilver28 Mon 02-Nov-20 16:30:11

Tickingbird also endorse. There have been dreadful atrocities worldwide in the name of Islam and while in a minority so horrific as to determine adverse attitudes.

On the other hand Jews, throughout their presence in Britain since the 12th century, have quietly followed their cultural and religious life without adversely affecting those of the host country. In fact, the Jewish Community an example of cultural values whose influence an exemplifying example of the best humanity has to offer.

biba70 Mon 02-Nov-20 16:34:30

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

maddyone Mon 02-Nov-20 16:49:34

How does anyone know which types of cartoons the French teacher used in his lesson or lessons? Did anyone see the lesson plan? Or indeed the entire scheme of work planned for the term or year, which may have included much more work on this subject covering all religions? How does anyone know? As far as I’m aware we’ve only been told about the Islamic cartoons, but we’ve not been told about the lesson plan or scheme of work.
I’m interested to know because I haven’t seen anything about it, but perhaps others have.

tickingbird Mon 02-Nov-20 17:29:09

biba70 - Palestine???

What a ridiculous comment and typical of the anti semitism in the labour party.

No different to me posting ‘Isis’ in response to a post from someone on anti muslim behaviour.

You really don’t get it do you?

Iam64 Mon 02-Nov-20 19:46:40

biba70 - that really is a ridiculous and offensive response to sparklingsilver's post at 16.30 today.

You're accusing my Jewish colleagues and friends who were born, live and work here of being responsible for the actions of the current Israeli government. Disgusting.

sparklingsilver28 Mon 02-Nov-20 20:41:52

biba70 Perhaps if you looked at history through equitable eyes you might find it illuminating.

biba70 Mon 02-Nov-20 21:28:30

You're accusing my Muslim colleagues and friends who were born, live and work here of being responsible for the heinous crimes of a few brainwashed madmen.

tickingbird Mon 02-Nov-20 21:32:57

You're accusing my Muslim colleagues and friends who were born, live and work here of being responsible for the heinous crimes of a few brainwashed madmen

Really? I haven’t seen that. Who’s accused your Muslim colleagues of being responsible? Think that’s you being disingenuous.

Iam64 Tue 03-Nov-20 07:13:58

Biba70 - no one is accusing your Muslim colleagues of being responsible for the heinous crimes of a few brainwashed madmen. You are really being unreasonable on this one.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 03-Nov-20 07:58:48

The Jewish Community were told to stay indoors remove all visible signs of their religion including skull caps last night in Vienna, after multiple gun attacks.

Their are reports of up to seven (?) dead and multiple injuries.

Astral Tue 03-Nov-20 08:09:48

Most Muslims are peaceful, normal families. Terrorists want to cause division between us and them and not have Muslims "westernised". Every time anyone says "this group doesn't behead people or blow people up" or something similar, you contribute to the terrorist cause and stigmatise good families.

tickingbird Tue 03-Nov-20 08:41:03

I suggest it’s the terrorists themselves stigmatising decent, law abiding Muslims. Maybe if these majority Muslims took to the streets protesting against these atrocities instead of the typical protest in London a few days ago, it would go a long way towards changing peoples’ attitudes.

Maybe it needs pointing out that there are many hardworking, decent, kind Jewish people and stigmatising them with ‘Palestine’ goes a long way in furthering division. The essence of that post was Jews deserve all they get because of the ongoing conflict in that area and the current Israeli government’s policies. It’s antisemitism clearly.

Iam64 Tue 03-Nov-20 08:42:38

tickingbird, the post you referred to was antisemitic and has been removed.