Gransnet forums

News & politics

Conservative party internal investigation into racism

(93 Posts)
PECS Sun 01-Nov-20 16:13:28

About 500 days ago BJ promised an investigation into accusations of anti Islamic behavious and attitues.. Have I missed the publication of the report?

biba70 Wed 04-Nov-20 10:05:36

Putting all of this aside, and back to the OP. The Conservative Party promised a thorough and independent investigation into Islamophobia- and this had not taken place, or they have chosen to halt or not publish the results. And this is wrong, and they should be firmly reminded that it is expected, without delay. Simple.

Iam64 Wed 04-Nov-20 12:08:59

I'm finding the constant comparisons with antisemitism and islamophobia a bit like banging the head on the wall.

If we are speaking of friends and neighbours, can I say I don't know anyone amongst former work colleagues, neighbours or friends from our Jewish community who is at ease with the Palestine situation. Some are secular, others practice their faith.
Our area has a large community whose roots are in Pakistan and whose muslim faith is central to their lives. Sadly, I rarely hear any condemnation of terrorism. I hear understandable complaints about the actions of the West against Muslim states. I hear many conspiracy theories repeated as fact. One of the most commonly repeated is the belief that the Americans and Israel blew up the twin towers. Its very difficult to argue with people who justify this belief by saying they have an engineering degree and so know, the towers could only have collapsed as they did if explosives had been put into them by the Americans/the Jews.

I apologise if this post offends anyone. It isn't meant to.

maddyone Wed 04-Nov-20 13:18:09

My experience has been similar Iam64. I worked with a lovely lady who was a Muslim, and we got along really well together, but when I asked her and her family to join us for a barbecue, she refused. I would have used halal meat even though I don’t agree with how it is killed.
My husband who taught in a nearby school taught her son. When the incident occurred where a teacher of a class of young children called the class teddy bear Mohammed, there was an outcry (I don’t believe the teacher thought she was being offensive, I think she mistakenly thought she was being inclusive) and the boy my husband taught said in class that he thought the woman should be killed! This in a leafy suburb in southern England. Needless to say, my husband was shocked.
As long as these kinds of attitudes persist, whilst terrorist attacks continue, whilst honour killings continue along with forced marriages, I’m afraid that the situation will not improve very much. It’s really sad, because I worked with some lovely people who happened to be Muslim, and I know that more joins us together than forces us apart.

maddyone Wed 04-Nov-20 13:19:16

I also apologise if my post offends anyone. It isn’t meant to, it’s meant to explore the situation as it is.

Davidhs Wed 04-Nov-20 13:21:22

Just like most Jews in this country support a home land in Israel, most Muslims are sympathetic to the Islamic cause including Jihad. Many Islamic terrorist plots are exposed by the security services but it is very hard to detect “lone wolf” attacks like Manchester.

sparklingsilver28 Wed 04-Nov-20 13:50:45

maddyone, Iam64 Please stop apologising for holding a expressed opinion. Freedom of speech and expression even if it offends your right.

Lucca Wed 04-Nov-20 14:20:00

Callistemon thank you. You explain it well. I ask because my co-granny is Jewish and was delighted at corbyn losing the election because “he’s anti Semitic “. I said I thought he wasn’t, but that he was anti Israel ‘s tactics.
( n.b. I told Her was no particular fan of Jeremy ) we remain good friends!

Ramblingrose22 Wed 04-Nov-20 14:36:46

Hello again Davidhs.

Did you find the information I asked for in yesterday's post?

I can copy and paste it for you in my next post if that would help.

Davidhs Wed 04-Nov-20 15:34:16

Ramblingrose there is no point in me replying because any reference to the causes of persecution gets deleted, it is simply not allowed to say anything

I have no issue at all with Jews apart from expansionism in Israel but I do question “why” and not accept the automatic PC line.

Ramblingrose22 Wed 04-Nov-20 16:59:22

Yes, I saw that some of your previous posts were deleted. Not surprising really when you were quoting anti-semitic tropes and blaming Jews for their own persecution!!!

You really ought to admit that you were wrong to have posted such nonsense and apologise.

I also suggest that you avoid using the word "Jews" when you are referring to the policies of the Israeli government. You'll cause a lot less offence that way.

Iam64 Wed 04-Nov-20 18:01:31

Well said Ramblingrose22.

Fennel Wed 04-Nov-20 18:06:09

Good post, Ramblingrose.
And David - I found your post last night was so shocking and misleading that I had to close down my 'puter and go to bed before I exploded.
Yes, there have been, and still are, a few wealthy Jews, as well as wealthy Muslims and Gentiles. Jews spend their money on causes other than wars.
Much on charity funds eg a large part of the funds for the emancipation of slaves in the USA was raised by European Jews. Paid to the slave owners in compensation.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 04-Nov-20 18:07:11

Davidhs

Ramblingrose there is no point in me replying because any reference to the causes of persecution gets deleted, it is simply not allowed to say anything

I have no issue at all with Jews apart from expansionism in Israel but I do question “why” and not accept the automatic PC line.

The Israeli state is formally a secular state.

Iam64 Wed 04-Nov-20 18:27:15

Jewish communities the world over have an established reputation for fund raising, or practically supporting people in need, people who are being ostracised or treated as "others". During the early and mid 19th century, Angel Meadow, an area of North Manchester, saw in influx of Jewish and Irish refugees. The Jewish community fleeing pogroms, the Irish fleeing starvation. The Irish community kept the fires burning in their Jewish neighbours homes on Fridays - the Jewish community reciprocated by sharing their limited resources.

Opposition to slavery was something found in the north west during that time. My ancestors worked 12 and 14 hour shifts in those dark satanic mills. They also opposed slavery and refused to work slave picked cotton during one period after freed slaves came to England and toured the mills to inform the workers there of their enslaved lives. That's a whole other thread of course.

biba70 Wed 04-Nov-20 20:02:42

Talk about whataboutery and anecdotal examples - if anyone made the same sweeping statements about the silence of many Jews re the appalling expansion of the Jewish State or the methods used- we would be accused of antisitism and posts erased. It so illustrates the hypocrisy.

But again putting all of this aside, and back to the OP. The Conservative Party promised a thorough and independent investigation into Islamophobia- and this had not taken place, or they have chosen to halt or not publish the results. And this is wrong, and they should be firmly reminded that it is expected, without delay. Simple.

Iam64 Wed 04-Nov-20 20:43:55

I think Biba your comments were whataboutery and anecdotal, so my responses followed suit.
As for suggesting that anyone criticising the expansion of the Jewish state or method used would be accused of antisemitism and posts deleted, I think not. that would be expressing a valid opinion.

Callistemon Wed 04-Nov-20 20:45:01

The EHRC report began on 28/5/19. 18 months ago?

Perhaps we have to wait or perhaps the EHRC will have to take over?