Gransnet forums

News & politics

All eyes now turn to Brexit.

(370 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 06-Nov-20 08:17:35

There are rumours that the U.K. in wavering in its negotiations.

At long last reality is setting in.

A couple of reasons.

It is likely that Trump, who has supported Brexit and promised a “great deal” ?has been defeated. Johnson has lost his only foreign supporter.

Looking at the economic forecast it is grim. Our figures are the worst in the western world at the moment and will take another huge hit if Johnson commits hari kari and goes for No deal.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 06-Nov-20 17:59:11

lemongrove

Gill I don’t think I have ever seen a Trump supporter on GN, who are they?

ug is.

MaizieD Fri 06-Nov-20 18:14:35

lemongrove

Gill I don’t think I have ever seen a Trump supporter on GN, who are they?

I've found at least four on the first few pages of the Trump is looking likely to win thread.

Ug has kept very quiet...

varian Fri 06-Nov-20 18:28:05

There is a certain degree of alignment with brexiters and Trump supporters, who both fell for the Putin inspired lies.

However, it is clear that there are many who voted Leave, including Gransnetters, who never supported Trump, or if they ever did, have long since seen him for what he is,

I have never heard Trump endorsed by a Remain voter.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 06-Nov-20 18:30:21

varian

There is a certain degree of alignment with brexiters and Trump supporters, who both fell for the Putin inspired lies.

However, it is clear that there are many who voted Leave, including Gransnetters, who never supported Trump, or if they ever did, have long since seen him for what he is,

I have never heard Trump endorsed by a Remain voter.

Pity they can’t put that logic to our home grown populists.

biba70 Sat 07-Nov-20 10:37:08

Trumpism without Trump- will not get Johnson very far.

bylinetimes.com/2020/11/03/the-trump-coup-a-british-revolution-too/

he will have to do a Deal with EU- and it is clear for all to see that they now hold all the cards- every one of them.

varian Sat 07-Nov-20 17:19:04

We have to get some sort of trade agreement, even though it means that the EU holds all the cards. Our Vote Leave Government, supported by the stupid minority of UK voters, must grovel and beg the EU for any sort of face-saving deal.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 07-Nov-20 17:21:54

What can you say?

Brexit is probably the worse decision ever made.

biba70 Sat 07-Nov-20 17:24:29

It was, for sure. But there is no doubt that Covid has multiplied the effect- and relying on Trump was the worst of all.

varian Sat 07-Nov-20 17:31:29

Brexit, especially a no deal brexit,. will do untold damage to this country, but the Vote Leave government, led by Dominic Cummings, will blame the damage on the pandemic.

It is true that they have caused much more damage by their mismanagement of the pandemic, but we should never let them get away with excusing the appalling damage to our economy and our society on Covid19,

The Brrexiters must own their blame.

biba70 Sat 07-Nov-20 17:48:16

oh absolutely.

petra Sat 07-Nov-20 18:25:56

Ug has kept very quiet
I would imagine she's ( unlike most on here) sick of repeating herself.

Oopsminty Sat 07-Nov-20 18:27:13

petra

^Ug has kept very quiet^

Made me smile, petra

Dinahmo Sat 07-Nov-20 19:13:55

In the space of a few months we have gone from from being a respected country, one that other nations listened to, to a laughing stock. It is so, so sad and it will take years, for us to regain the confidence of other countries and also to build ourselves back up again.

varian Sat 07-Nov-20 19:19:44

I think that many people all over the world were appalled by the result of tbe fraudulent referendum in 2016 and it will take a very long time for the UK to ever regain our international reputation

biba70 Sat 07-Nov-20 19:32:01

petra

^Ug has kept very quiet^

it's OK, the situation has changed totally now - so she can change her comments totally in view of the new world order ;)

lemongrove Sat 07-Nov-20 20:00:39

varian

I think that many people all over the world were appalled by the result of tbe fraudulent referendum in 2016 and it will take a very long time for the UK to ever regain our international reputation

Sounding just like Trump there varian.....learn to lose gracefully.

Dinahmo Sat 07-Nov-20 20:10:34

"lemongrove" I assume that you dispute the description fraudulent. Many of us don't and that is why we are so upset. I think that you and other Brexiteers won disgracefully.

lemongrove Sat 07-Nov-20 20:15:47

Do you indeed? Well, high time to get over it, since we have left the EU.
Of course it wasn’t ‘fraudulent’ that’s what bad losers say when votes don’t go their way.Just like Trump is doing.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 07-Nov-20 20:17:50

am Macrory
@sammacrory
·
27m
And here’s what
@JoeBiden
said then (2018) about Brexit:

“I was really disappointed. I was not surprised, because in times of confusion and great change I think we all become susceptible to demagogues and charlatans who in order to aggrandise their power find a scapegoat.”

lemongrove Sat 07-Nov-20 20:19:07

I and other Brexiters ( just over half the population who voted that way) did not win ‘disgracefully’ ? lordy, when will the sour grapes end?

biba70 Sat 07-Nov-20 20:21:32

fraudulently then- and that is clear, and proven.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 07-Nov-20 20:24:12

lemongrove

I and other Brexiters ( just over half the population who voted that way) did not win ‘disgracefully’ ? lordy, when will the sour grapes end?

No, but as Biden said, susceptible to demagogues and charlatans.

lemongrove Sat 07-Nov-20 20:31:57

Is Biden your guru now WW ( you seem to be attributing all the wisdom in the world to him) on GN pages.
It may be wise to see what kind of President he makes before all the gushing praise.He has to be better than Trump, but so far that’s all I can see.

biba70 Sat 07-Nov-20 20:37:13

you need to educate yourself and read about his life and his experience- and you will perhaps see why we are hopeful. He has massive experience.

You are beginning to sound like a sore loser ;) if I may.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 07-Nov-20 20:38:49

lemongrove

Is Biden your guru now WW ( you seem to be attributing all the wisdom in the world to him) on GN pages.
It may be wise to see what kind of President he makes before all the gushing praise.He has to be better than Trump, but so far that’s all I can see.

Only as far as how he will affect Brexit. You surely have worked that out?