Gransnet forums

News & politics

How did we ever get to have such an incompetent government?

(156 Posts)
varian Mon 09-Nov-20 19:27:44

Just as the home secretary can never be too Brexity or dog-whistle rightwing, she can also never be too stupid or incompetent. These are the qualities Boris most admires, having gone to some trouble to eliminate every cabinet minister who showed the slightest sign of having any independence of thought. Or even of having a mind at all. Priti Patel’s sole purpose in government is to be Priti Vaca

Grace in The Guardian

Whitewavemark2 Mon 09-Nov-20 19:32:10

Not only is it an incompetent government, it is rapidly becoming an isolated government unless it changes its values and principles pdq.

Pantglas2 Mon 09-Nov-20 19:34:10

Because we had such an incompetent Opposition.....🙂

petra Mon 09-Nov-20 19:54:15

Varian
Remind me. How many seats is it that the party you support have in parliament? Oh yes, I remember now. 11. At least they made it into double figures, just!

silversurf Mon 09-Nov-20 20:09:02

All of you who keep knocking the government,could you have done any better with the resources available?
Our politicians must be on their knees with exhaustion.
It is not their fault some people can’t stick to the rules.
But then you can’t cure stupid.
Let’s hope this new vaccine will offer some relief.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 09-Nov-20 20:15:55

Today we have cut the bridge between us and Europe.

We are from today less relevant to both Europe and America.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 09-Nov-20 20:20:50

Congressman Brendan Boyle - “there will be no US-U.K. trade deal if Britain moves forward with the Internal Market Bill, period”

We hold all the cards of course, so the US will soon realise the error of their ways.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 09-Nov-20 20:28:58

“A normal day in
'Global Britain'.
Lord Kilclooney calls the US VP elect Kamela Harris "the Indian".
Tory Minister Priti Patel celebrates the end of Free Movement for 66M Brits.
Tory MP John Redwood calls for "controlling our fish" & sends a "warning letter" to Joe Biden.
It's 6pm“

Twitter

Iam64 Mon 09-Nov-20 21:03:09

Whitewavemark2, you've taken the edge off my relief at the US election result and the possibility of a vaccine.

I read Lord Kilclooney's excuse for calling the US VP elect "the Indian", he said he didn't know her name. It didn't seem to occur to him, he could have referred to her as the Vice President elect.
This won't go unnoticed in the Biden/Harris camp. Evidently Biden remains disgusted that Johnson referred to Obama as part Kenyan.
I'm finding it increasingly dispiriting to have a government that doesn't reflect my beliefs or aspirations. Yet here we are. Stuck with them -

Dinahmo Mon 09-Nov-20 21:06:56

Pantglas2

Because we had such an incompetent Opposition.....🙂

No - it's because so many people believed the lies.

Pantglas2 Mon 09-Nov-20 21:15:40

Some of us weren’t that gullible.....

Iam64 Mon 09-Nov-20 21:38:35

A lot of us weren't convinced by the lies and voted Labour. I voted Labour because I dreaded the idea of four more years of the Conservatives and because we had a good traditional Labour MP.
Not any more we don't, he lost his seat by 400 votes to a tory who lives 200 miles away, has no connection to our town and voted against the proposal that children who qualified should continue to get a free meal during school holidays.
I didn't vote Labour because I yearned to see Corbyn and his acolytes running the country. I fear many of my neighbours didn't vote Labour because they dreaded seeing C and co etc.

biba70 Mon 09-Nov-20 22:18:05

50 000 soon- that will be a very symbolical milestone in the minds of many.

Blossoming Mon 09-Nov-20 22:20:29

We have the government people voted for, unfortunately.

JenniferEccles Mon 09-Nov-20 22:23:49

Oh well if Grace in the Guardian said it, it must be true mustn’t it?

The same Guardian with a tiny readership - in fact I think they are all on here!

The government won the election with a huge majority.
The country voted to leave the EU not once but three times.

Time to move on folks!

Casdon Mon 09-Nov-20 22:52:12

I think we will be moving on very soon JenniferEccles, just not in the way that a lot of people who voted Tory at the last election either wanted or anticipated. Two years hence Starmer will be the new Biden, I bet you a years subscription to the Guardian!

paddyanne Mon 09-Nov-20 22:54:43

YOUR country voted LEAVE ...my country voted remain...we're being dragged out aganst our will and the chief clown and his circus now say they wont"allow" us a 2nd referendum for 30 years!!! What gives them the right to deny us?Tell me ,please ,what is there in this information that makes you believe this is a UNION,its a dictatorship. Scotland hasn't voted for a majority of tories for my whole life thats since the mid 1950's yet we've been saddled with them time after time .The latest "leader " a Mr D ross .... has lost the massive increase made by Ruth the mooth...thats the massive increase as reported by the MSM ...from the 24% it crashed to in Thatchers day to 22% in Ruths,now its a mere 16% who say they'd ever vote Tory .Even tories say that no Union can hold a country hostage ...but that was England and Brexit .So should we just sit down and shut up like they expect or or declare UDI ? Believe me ,a lot of us are reaching that stage .Democracy doesn't exist in the disunited kingdom

Hetty58 Mon 09-Nov-20 23:00:03

'How did we ever get to have such an incompetent government?' Easy - a whole load of idiots voted them in!

silversurf asks 'could you have done any better with the resources available?'

Would that be the very much reduced, underfunded and totally inadequate health service, police force, etc. - that the Tories had left us with? Aren't they directly responsible for the 'resources available'?

Smileless2012 Mon 09-Nov-20 23:07:46

Your country also voted against independence paddyanne.

growstuff Tue 10-Nov-20 02:25:02

JenniferEccles

Oh well if Grace in the Guardian said it, it must be true mustn’t it?

The same Guardian with a tiny readership - in fact I think they are all on here!

The government won the election with a huge majority.
The country voted to leave the EU not once but three times.

Time to move on folks!

The Guardian has a small print circulation, but a total (including digital) readership of over 28 million.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 10-Nov-20 07:07:34

I see the Lords has eviscerated the Internal Market Bill. I simply can’t see it passing into law now.

Johnson will be forced to do a deal by following the rule of law.

It won’t be much of a deal because the U.K. has spent its time squealing like a stuck pig.

M0nica Tue 10-Nov-20 07:27:44

I always find it very curious why the supporters of the party that lost the last election, always blame it on people being gullible, falling for lies believing anything. In fact anything except accept that whatever they had on offer, no matter how good they thought it just was not acceptable to the elctorate.

I am not just looking back at the most recent election, but after each election. Are all those on here who suggest the rest of the electorate who do not agree with them are fools? saying that they are such superior people that they have more knowledge and wisdom than the electorate as a whole? An electorate that includes their family and friends, neighbours and workmates? That sounds incredibly arrogant.

Classic Trump behaviour.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 10-Nov-20 07:53:39

Interestingly the Internal Market Bill was not in the Tory manifesto.

This is why the lords are in such a strong footing constitutionally.

This law will not pass.

Jaberwok Tue 10-Nov-20 07:59:48

You're absolutely right M0nica! The moral high ground of the H of L is just laughable. Let's face it they are a bunch of mostly elderly, unelected self serving pompous, sanctimonious remainers determined to thwart what people have voted for four times, caring more for their financial interests than anything to do with NI democracy or this ridiculous notion of our superior standing in the world! that sounds a bit imperial?!! But then who am I to say as I'm an ignorant bexiteer without the superior education of left who always have the moral and educational high ground !!!

Jaberwok Tue 10-Nov-20 08:03:27

I think you'll find it will, particularly as both the DUP and Sinn Fein have written to the EU supporting it. The Parliament act can always be used as it was under Tony Blair to push through the will of the people!