Gransnet forums

News & politics

How did we ever get to have such an incompetent government?

(157 Posts)
varian Mon 09-Nov-20 19:27:44

Just as the home secretary can never be too Brexity or dog-whistle rightwing, she can also never be too stupid or incompetent. These are the qualities Boris most admires, having gone to some trouble to eliminate every cabinet minister who showed the slightest sign of having any independence of thought. Or even of having a mind at all. Priti Patel’s sole purpose in government is to be Priti Vaca

Grace in The Guardian

Grany Tue 17-Nov-20 08:07:47

If this is how Boris Johnsons’s test and trace system works, no wonder he’s self-isolating

If you still think the Johnson government is doing a good job fighting Covid-19, you need to watch Channel 4’s Lockdown Chaos now.
The programme by the channels Dispatches team went behind the scenes at Randox, one of the private companies selected by Boris Johnson’s privatisation-crazy cronies.

voxpoliticalonline.com/2020/11/17/if-this-is-how-boris-johnsonss-test-and-trace-system-works-no-wonder-hes-self-isolating/

MayBee70 Tue 17-Nov-20 10:56:54

Whitewavemark2

@Peston
I received no further explanation or clarification, other than that we have “bio similar potential alternatives”. It is important for the Vaccine Taskforce’s Kate Bingham and Matt Hancock to explain why they did not buy Moderna Vaccine and whether that was a mistake

Dr John Campbell has been talking about the Moderna vaccine for a long time now and I got the impression that he thought it was the leading candidate. Then again he’s been talking about the need for for ventilation in buildings for months and the government have only just mentioned it. Waiting for the government to finally advise people to take VitD.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 17-Nov-20 11:05:51

What infuriates me is that the EU generously invited the U.K. to take part in the bulk purchase of the different vaccines, which would have meant of course we would have not paid so much due to the purchasing power of the EU and of course the confidence of having various vaccines we could call on.

The government turned the offer down. They did their asses kicked.

Dinahmo Tue 17-Nov-20 11:32:08

Slightly off topic but some years ago the EU started a solar panel farm in the Sahara desert. The UK was invited to join but rejected the offer.

Alegrias2 Tue 17-Nov-20 11:50:32

I'm no fan of this government (understatement of the day) but they had to make a judgement call on which vaccines to pre-purchase. They have made a pre-order for the Pfizer one which is based on the same technology as the Moderna one. They spread the risk by pre-ordering from 5 (6?) different potential manufacturers using a variety of technologies.

If mRNA didn't work, someone would have been complaining about them putting all their eggs in one basket.

petra Tue 17-Nov-20 11:59:34

Dinahmo
Wrong. Gorden Brown was all in favour of the project.