Gransnet forums

News & politics

Dominic Cummings has left No.10.....

(110 Posts)
Ramblingrose22 Fri 13-Nov-20 20:13:51

...to clear the air apparently.

If the air needed clearing and couldn't be cleared unless he left the premises we can imagine how bad the atmosphere must have been.

But before we get too excited, we won't see the back of him for another month. He's still going to carry on working for the PM behind the scenes till mid-December. Boris needs his ideas for as long as possible so that's understandable.

What I don't understand is why he was thought to be some kind of genius in the first place.......

Romola Sat 14-Nov-20 12:24:55

I just hope that some sense will return to Number 10 and that some grown-ups will make a sensible Brexit deal, particularly as Biden has won the presidency. To have allowed this chaos to develop at this critical time is an appalling example of incompetence on the part of the PM.

grannyscott Sat 14-Nov-20 12:26:11

Why do we feel we can demonise someone we have never known or worked with. Shameful!

suziewoozie Sat 14-Nov-20 12:29:59

grannyscott

Why do we feel we can demonise someone we have never known or worked with. Shameful!

I’m extremely comfortable demonising a huge raft of people through history that I’m never met or worked with.

vegansrock Sat 14-Nov-20 12:34:25

I can’t play the violin but know when It’s being played badly. I haven’t worked with Cummings but feel entitled to comment on his departure.

Buttonjugs Sat 14-Nov-20 12:52:38

grannyscott

Erm, Hitler, Peter Sutcliffe, Fred West, Rolf Harris, Jimmy Savile ... to name but a few of the people I have judged but never met or worked with..,

suziewoozie Sat 14-Nov-20 12:58:55

Ohhhhh grannyscott. Just had a quick look at your posting history - first example was a demonising of benefit claimants and users of food banks - all of whom you’ve no doubt met.

MamaCaz Sat 14-Nov-20 13:00:41

suziewoozie

Ohhhhh grannyscott. Just had a quick look at your posting history - first example was a demonising of benefit claimants and users of food banks - all of whom you’ve no doubt met.

Great detective work ?

suziewoozie Sat 14-Nov-20 13:02:10

MamaCaz

suziewoozie

Great detective work ?

Now I’ll be accused of being sharp and nasty and somebody will send me a hug. Yuk.

Jaberwok Sat 14-Nov-20 13:03:48

The certain woman who travelled by train may not have been so politically important, but my word she potentially created far more risk than all the others put together especially DC, who actually posed absolutely no risk to any other person!
grannyscott you must understand that certain. posters politically know everything! Whilst anyone who might have a different opinion knows nothing and is viewed as having very low intelligence and is NON PC In every respect imaginable!

Alegrias2 Sat 14-Nov-20 13:05:11

Jaberwok

DC, wasn't the only prominent person to break lockdown rules!! Although reading these posts would lead anyone to believe he was! Stephen Kinnock got there first, but no one mentions him!! Ian Blackford was another!! All obscene, not just one!

Ian Blackford didn't break the rules. I think I've explained that to you before. However much you would like to believe it, it doesn't make it true.

Greta Sat 14-Nov-20 13:08:23

I am seriously worried for Boris......how will he fart without Cummings?.

grin

suziewoozie Sat 14-Nov-20 13:08:30

Alegrias2

Jaberwok

DC, wasn't the only prominent person to break lockdown rules!! Although reading these posts would lead anyone to believe he was! Stephen Kinnock got there first, but no one mentions him!! Ian Blackford was another!! All obscene, not just one!

Ian Blackford didn't break the rules. I think I've explained that to you before. However much you would like to believe it, it doesn't make it true.

Yes you have but the truth clearly didn’t fit with Jabber’s world view and so was not retained. Truth and accuracy are very undervalued on GN.

KaEllen Sat 14-Nov-20 13:28:24

Hooray hooray hooray! Cummings was an unelected adviser with too much influence who clearly saw himself above the law. If Johnson was not so weak he would have sacked him after this infamous trip to Durham. People have been sacked for a lot less than undermining public confidence in the government during a national crisis!

BlueBelle Sat 14-Nov-20 13:29:37

Working from home ???

Tillybelle Sat 14-Nov-20 13:46:25

I think he has gone already! Yippee yippee yippee yippee Yippee yippee yippee yippee Yippee yippee yippee yippee Yippee yippee yippee yippee Yippee yippee yippee yippee

paddyanne Sat 14-Nov-20 13:53:37

Mrgaret Ferrier was rightly expelled from her party ....tell me again what happened to ummings or Jenrick or all the otheres who flitted between homes ?

TyneAngel Sat 14-Nov-20 14:09:49

On The Now Show: 'Dominic didn't see it Cummings....he's left to spend more time with his optician....

Aepgirl Sat 14-Nov-20 14:15:43

Brings to mind Alastair Campbell and Peter Mandelson with Tony Blair. No matter what they did TB always welcomed them back. I often wondered what they knew about TB that we didn't.

seamstress Sat 14-Nov-20 14:22:33

Those who try to defend Cummings with whatboutery should know 1.) 2 wrongs don't make a right, no one is defending any high profile rule breakers, apart from those who point the finger at others. 2.)Cummings undoubtedly did put others at risk - it was after his ridiculous defence of "common sense", that many people applied this rule to themselves. It didn't get brushed under the carpet as the apologists would like and it has been extremely damaging to the trust people had in the poor handling of the pandemic by no 10. He has been the most damaging of the rule breakers, since he was the architect of the rules.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 14-Nov-20 14:44:24

It seems that the right wing media is beginning to go after Johnson.

Apparently Cummings and cronies nick named Symonds “princess nut nuts” which infuriated Johnson and was the reason he gave Cummings the boot.

Is there a single grown up in No 10?

All this reported in the Mail.

They want Johnson gone.

Curlywhirly Sat 14-Nov-20 14:44:48

As pointed out, other prominent politicians did break the lockdown rules, but, none caused the same outrage as Cummings' misdemeanor. His behaviour, for whatever reason, really enraged the public - and I do think his ridiculous explanation for travel had a lot to do with it; if he had told the truth and apologised he would probably have got away with it.

Bluecat Sat 14-Nov-20 15:22:17

Who was the Labour MP who travelled by train whilst infected, according to a previous poster? I know that there was Margaret Ferrier but she was SNP. Was there someone else?

As for Dominic Cummings, I don't get it. When he broke the rules and everyone was furious, the government protected him at all costs, even making ministers publicly support his absurd excuses. Now he is suddenly gone, because there's "tension" in Number 10 and there has been a row about his mate's promotion? One moment he's so valuable that Boris will do anything to keep him, the next moment he is asked to resign for no clear-cut reason. It doesn't make sense to me.

Whatdayisit Sat 14-Nov-20 15:27:03

I agree with Doodledog.
What are we being distracted from?

trisher Sat 14-Nov-20 15:28:57

Can't help wondering if this is linked to Carrie and the age of the baby. Lots of mums go back to work when their baby is about 9 months old and it's almost that time. Do you suppose she's decided they need the money and she can do what Cummings was doing? After all if she's going to be with Boris she should get something out of it.

biba70 Sat 14-Nov-20 15:31:12

we are days from the deadline to get a deal with EU- timing is all crazy!