Gransnet forums

News & politics

Well done The Speaker

(37 Posts)
biba70 Wed 18-Nov-20 21:11:15

about time, thanks. Keep it up. If Johnson or colleagues just deliberately rant on to waste time- just cut them off. Bravo.

quizqueen Thu 26-Nov-20 14:50:12

I bet there's not person here who would be willing to or want to take on Boris' job, especially with a young baby at home, being paid less than some head teachers and having been seriously ill in the not too recent past. It's so easy to always offer criticism, isn't it. Boris is not perfect by any means but he was certainly better than the alternative as shown at the last election.

Luckygirl Thu 26-Nov-20 15:02:05

He chose the job - he wanted the power and now he has got it he must behave like a statesman and not like a child.

He has made a total mess of protecting the country during this virus, and opposition and other MPs should be properly heard when they challenge him - well done the speaker for facilitating that as best he can in the midst of this rabble.

The fact that BJ was ill a few months ago and that he has a baby at home has no relevance to the importance or supporting democracy.

If he doesn't like the pay then he can choose to leave.

biba70 Thu 26-Nov-20 15:04:51

exactly- as for the baby, he had a perfectly good wife and family- so no-one forced him there either.

lemongrove Thu 26-Nov-20 17:19:57

quizqueen

I bet there's not person here who would be willing to or want to take on Boris' job, especially with a young baby at home, being paid less than some head teachers and having been seriously ill in the not too recent past. It's so easy to always offer criticism, isn't it. Boris is not perfect by any means but he was certainly better than the alternative as shown at the last election.

I can’t argue with any of that....especially the last sentence.?

biba70 Thu 26-Nov-20 18:54:01

I know many true lifelong Conservatives who are coming round to the idea that, no, not even Corbyn could have caused more damage. That says a lot.

Ramblingrose22 Thu 26-Nov-20 20:54:03

I agree that we were given two awful alternatives as Prime Minister. And they both believe in chumocracy - i.e. the chums get the plums regardless of their competence

The best thing I can say about Johnson is that he's not antisemitic, but that doesn't excuse his tolerance of bullying by his Home Secretary or his addiction to hyperbole (eg a "world beating track and trace system") when all we needed was a track and trace system that worked!

MaizieD Thu 26-Nov-20 22:52:05

The best thing I can say about Johnson is that he's not antisemitic,

He's pretty racist towards other races and cultures, though. Are we sure that he's not anti-semitic?

As for who would have been a better PM in this crisis? The one who wouldn't have thrown £billions and £billions at friends and party donors for contracts for useless technology, a useless track & trace system and useless PPE. A man who would have been concerned about supporting all people who were financially adversely affected by closure of shops and businesses. A man who would have listened to the scientists.

Certainly not the lazy, lying, racist, immoral, incompetent, useless ditherer who got elected to utterly ruin the UK.

Ramblingrose22 Thu 26-Nov-20 23:43:42

MaizieD - to clarify.

When I suggested that Johnson is not anti-semitic that was because I'm not aware of anything he has said or done that could be regarded as anti-semitic. There may be things I do not know about which indicate otherwise. I deplored his reference to people of colour (I refuse to use the term he used) with watermelon smiles and wouldn't be surprised if he thinks other races are inferior.

A lot of other people could have done a better job than he has so far. The scientists have said that the previous tiers did nothing to reduce transmission so people complaining about the new tougher tier system haven't understood that these tougher restrictions should have been introduced before now.

They weren't introduced before now because poor Boris hates to be unpopular and dithers about making the tough decisions needed. He just isn't cut out for managing a crisis of this kind.

Even without all that, he has no regard for rules or the law when it suits him, and is everything you have said in the last part of your post.

biba70 Fri 27-Nov-20 18:30:25

Will always wonder why the only form of racism that bothers some, is antisemitism

but other forms are sort of OK, and Islamphobobia totally acceptable - for some.

Iam64 Fri 27-Nov-20 21:01:23

Where's the evidence for that sweeping statement biba70?

biba70 Fri 27-Nov-20 21:59:20

to start of, the refusal of the Conservative Party to do what they promised, an independent inquiry on Islamophobia, and publish it.

And the gutter Press, day in, day out.