Gransnet forums

News & politics

Matt Hancock crying

(64 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Tue 08-Dec-20 21:41:49

Did anyone see Matt Hancock crying on GMB this morning after the William Shakespeare (first man to get the vaccine) clip? Nice to know Tories are human after all!

Grany Tue 08-Dec-20 21:55:38

Rachel Clarke
@doctor_oxford

I have witnessed too many genuine tears to count this year,
@matthancock
. Counselled too many bereaved families. Cared for too many who died.

"We threw a protective ring around care homes," you told us.

Words - as a palliative care doctor - I will never forgive or forget.

lemongrove Tue 08-Dec-20 22:00:48

I think you’ll find that all humans are human grannyrebel
( and yes, I did get that you’re a Labour supporter.....it went without saying).

lemongrove Tue 08-Dec-20 22:02:26

Grany....doctors have political axes to grind, just like anyone else.

EllanVannin Tue 08-Dec-20 22:14:05

Sign of weakness isn't it ? Pull yourself together man !

NotTooOld Tue 08-Dec-20 22:16:56

I saw that. I felt for him, tbh. What a year he has had, well, we all have, but Health Secretary is not a job any of us would covet in a pandemic surely? He must feel so relieved now we have a vaccine. I hope he's planning a good summer holiday with his family. (Ok, I know this will be an unpopular post!)

Jane10 Tue 08-Dec-20 22:18:06

He must have been under appalling strain for months. Brave to appear on Morgan's in the first place. Understandable breakdown. 8th

Jane10 Tue 08-Dec-20 22:18:22

Morgan's show.

Luckygirl Tue 08-Dec-20 22:20:57

I have no axe to grind for the Tories, and I think they have mishandled the virus from the start. But I do recognise that Hancock must have been working his tripe out with huge responsibilities on his shoulders. I think he is allowed a tear.

paddyanne Tue 08-Dec-20 22:21:55

It wasn't real any body could see it was all an act ,engineered to stop him being asked difficult questions .#never trust a tory

Daddima Tue 08-Dec-20 22:36:28

Of course it wasn’t real! He was laughing, then didn’t the presenter say to him he had a tear in his eye?

NotTooOld Tue 08-Dec-20 22:39:17

MH has been asked difficult questions all year, paddyanne. I've heard Nick Robinson hauling him over the coals many a morning, so he's used to that and generally holds his own. Have a heart, he must be exhausted, poor chap.

Casdon Tue 08-Dec-20 22:41:49

I’d have been crying too if I was the Health Minister responsible for the country with the worst Covid death rate in Europe....

FannyCornforth Tue 08-Dec-20 22:46:45

Some of these replies!
Hancock may be incompetent or whatever, but he's hardly a monster.
All this partisanship... tchhmm
I'm with NotTooOld

NotTooOld Tue 08-Dec-20 22:48:00

Thanks, FannyC!

FannyCornforth Tue 08-Dec-20 22:48:53

tchgrin

dragonfly46 Tue 08-Dec-20 22:51:40

I just wish he would stop writing me letters telling me of the dire consequences of not staying at home!

Alegrias2 Tue 08-Dec-20 22:53:20

Gosh, you lot are a tough audience! I think Hancock has been promoted above his competence, and is not heartless like many of the rest of them. I saw him interviewed later as well and he seemed genuinely happy that something positive was happening at long last.

Jaberwok Wed 09-Dec-20 06:38:32

I'm sure the government have mishandled the pandemic particularly in the early days, but it was completely unexpected by any one either here or anywhere else. MH has had an awful year with anyone an everyone relentlessly gunning for him. Having lost a very dear relative to Covid, I can certainly sympathise with him. Blame him.? I certainly don't do that, and neither does any member of my family. it's been a terrible business for all of us nationwise, and I think the government and MH in particular have done their very best to contain it dispite the best efforts of certain people who simply wouldn't obey the official rules, particularly last summer,

Jaberwok Wed 09-Dec-20 06:39:55

despite.

Oldwoman70 Wed 09-Dec-20 07:20:01

It must be remembered he lost a relative to covid - perhaps he was thinking of him and wishing the vaccine had been available in time to save him

GrannyGravy13 Wed 09-Dec-20 07:57:27

I watched Matt Hancock on GMB, he definitely welled up, after this year as Health Secretary who wouldn’t be emotional.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 09-Dec-20 07:59:39

Oops premature send.

He had just witnessed the first person receiving a vaccination which hopefully will return the whole world to normality. I shed a tear also!

Lucca Wed 09-Dec-20 08:21:30

I read at least one article just now in the Times which talked about the “fake” crying.

Kandinsky Wed 09-Dec-20 08:26:53

I cried too actually - very moving moment.