Gransnet forums

News & politics

Matt Hancock crying

(65 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Tue 08-Dec-20 21:41:49

Did anyone see Matt Hancock crying on GMB this morning after the William Shakespeare (first man to get the vaccine) clip? Nice to know Tories are human after all!

Grany Wed 09-Dec-20 09:56:27

We did it! The House of Lords just amended a trade Bill that will protect the NHS

twitter.com/We_OwnIt/status/1336101232226734082?s=20

henetha Wed 09-Dec-20 10:01:42

I saw MH shed a tear and thought it entirely genuine. Politicians are just humans and sometimes we should have a thought for how difficult a job they have at this particular time.

Parsley3 Wed 09-Dec-20 10:14:53

I feel fearful for MH’s health as he has such a haunted look in his eyes when he is being interviewed. After watching this interview I can’t make up my mind if he laughing or crying. Both would be appropriate.

Grany Wed 09-Dec-20 10:34:54

Didn't look like he was crying to me looked like he was laughing.
Matt Hancock tried to pretend he was tearing up at the sight of a gentleman named William Shakespeare being among the first to get the new Covid-19 vaccination.

Instead he made it seem that he was laughing at us all.

That’s a dangerous thing for a government minister to do, after presiding over tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths due to poor preparation and tens of thousands more after giving away billions of pounds to fellow Conservatives who claimed they were running companies that could help but turned out to be liars in expensive suits.

Meanwhile, 616 more people were reported to have died of the virus yesterday, meaning the death rate has maintained its level of more than 600 per day, despite Hancock’s (claimed) efforts to get it down. His English lockdown achieved nothing.

lemongrove Wed 09-Dec-20 10:39:52

I expect if Corbyn had shed a tear at such a moment, it would
Be considered genuine by you Grany..... such partisan views, even on emotions!

paddyanne Wed 09-Dec-20 11:08:38

He hasn't answered any questions from Piers Morgan ,nor have any other tory MP's didn't Morgan have a calendar on his desk counting the toryless days and they were many.
#Never Trust A Tory

Alegrias2 Wed 09-Dec-20 11:10:53

I often agree with you Grany but I take issue with your comment about the death rate being more than 600 a day. The average death rate in the UK for the last 2 weeks has been around 435 a day, and never higher than 500 for the whole second wave.

Tuesday's reported deaths are usually high because of the way the reporting system works. It doesn't help to disseminate inaccurate numbers.

seamstress Wed 09-Dec-20 11:11:33

I haven't forgiven Matt Hancock for backing Cummings - I know would have got the sack if he hadn't but it sticks in the craw, and the fact that he gave his cronies contracts and was "proud" of making a mess of track n trace. He's a member of the most corrupt and incompetent government so if he shows a bit of emotion fair enough. Does he only have pink ties in his wardrobe?

Lucca Wed 09-Dec-20 11:16:07

Not an actual tear in sight.

lemongrove Wed 09-Dec-20 11:32:36

I agree about the pink ties Seamstress ?
He must really like them, or could it be something to do with support for breast cancer ( pink motif?)
I don’t think he only wore pink ties last year.

moggie57 Wed 09-Dec-20 11:33:37

who ?

Nortsat Wed 09-Dec-20 11:42:14

I am not a Tory supporter.
I find Mat Hancock to be a very weak Health Secretary, who appears spectacularly ill equipped to do his job.

However, he must have had the most hideous year, not least standing up to criticism and carrying the can, when Johnson should have been in the firing line.
He is probably exhausted and at the end of his reserves. I did feel some sympathy for him .... which surprised me.

Sparklefizz Wed 09-Dec-20 12:04:15

Didn't look like he was crying to me looked like he was laughing.

Actually, the grimacing that humans do when crying is similar to laughing ... the face is contorted, especially if someone is trying hard not to cry, which MH probably was.

Honestly, I don't know what's the matter with people - someone with genuine reason cries and they mock it, William and Catherine try to lift people's spirits and they are mocked ..... Does no one have any kindness or "heart" these days?

Lucca Wed 09-Dec-20 12:37:50

Possibly due to having a government lacking in both

Dinahmo Wed 09-Dec-20 13:56:23

Hancock was also crying on Monday morning. The reason then was him mentioning the recent death of his step grandfather from covid. I suggest that brought the catastrophe a little closer to home.

Grany Wed 09-Dec-20 16:29:02

Okay Alegrias2 I must have got my numbers from wrong source glad to be put right good numbers are going down now Thanks.

Alegrias2 Wed 09-Dec-20 16:45:02

Grany ? I'm a geek, can't help it. ?

Grany Wed 09-Dec-20 19:39:48

Alegrias2 ?

biba70 Thu 10-Dec-20 11:18:40

100% phony

growstuff Thu 10-Dec-20 14:04:16

Alegrias2

I often agree with you Grany but I take issue with your comment about the death rate being more than 600 a day. The average death rate in the UK for the last 2 weeks has been around 435 a day, and never higher than 500 for the whole second wave.

Tuesday's reported deaths are usually high because of the way the reporting system works. It doesn't help to disseminate inaccurate numbers.

Not true. The death rate has been over 500 a number of times. It was 533 yesterday.

7 days ago, the 7 day average was 452. Thank goodness, the 7 day average has come down to 412, but that's still high and will, no doubt, increase a couple of weeks after Christmas.

growstuff Thu 10-Dec-20 14:06:33

Apologies! Just reread Alegrias's post and realised she meant the average death rate had never been over 500.

growstuff Thu 10-Dec-20 14:08:43

I think Hancock is very weak and has sold his soul to be a cabinet minister and really isn't up to it. However, I don't think he's an evil human being.

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 10-Dec-20 14:15:43

I didn’t see it. I’m not a Tory voter, but I think they’ve done as well as anyone else would have. We’re probably the most affected country because we’re so densely populated. No room to move. I think I heard somewhere that the Prime Minister of Sweden? Not sure, but whoever it was is very pleased with themselves for keeping covid numbers down. Easy when there’s only 5 million people and loads of space!

growstuff Thu 10-Dec-20 14:26:12

We're the most affected country because the government can't make up its mind what it's doing, does everything too late, isn't transparent, tries to blame everybody else, indulges in blatant cronyism and doesn't support people who should be quarantined practically. It's lost trust and credibility.

Jaberwok Thu 10-Dec-20 14:56:36

I totally agree with you DiscoDancer1975. However there is only one point of view that's acceptable on here over most things so there's just no point trying to put forward anything else, you'll just get sneered and jeered at, so best to keep quiet. At least you weren't told not to be silly!!