Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why do some get away with it?

(80 Posts)
Pantglas2 Wed 23-Dec-20 21:31:31

In view of Stephen Kinnock, Dominic Cummings, royal family et al misdeeds- how come no mention of Nicola Sturgeons recent ‘oh dear, I made a mistake, forgive me, cos I’m special’?

I did think there would be a discussion.....

Jane10 Fri 25-Dec-20 11:31:20

Thanks SueDonim. This poor lady is over 90 and has no family. She's only just been discharged from hospital last week. We have no way of finding out how she is or where she's gone. On the bright side maybe she'll have a cheerier Christmas in hospital. I hope so.

SueDonim Thu 24-Dec-20 22:50:49

flowers Jane10.

Jane10 Thu 24-Dec-20 22:10:12

SueDonim what a sad situation for your friend.
I suppose there are scenes like this going on all over the country. This evening we saw a neighbour being taken away in an ambulance. Nobody allowed to go with her and not sure which hospital she'll be taken to. A bleak midwinter day for her.

SueDonim Thu 24-Dec-20 22:04:17

It seems as though no one has put any effort into doing something to ameliorate the situation, Callistemon.

I thought that 13yo boy dying all alone back at the start of the pandemic would have concentrated minds to come up with a better way to do things but here we are, nine months on and nothing has changed. sad

Ps as far as NS is concerned, I don’t think she should lose her job. It wasn’t a deliberate twisting of the rules, it’s something that any of us could do inadvertently, unlike driving to Durham or visiting out holiday cottage.

Mamardoit Thu 24-Dec-20 21:16:40

JuneRose

Give the lady a break. She has a lot on her mind !

Yes anyone can make a mistake and anyone could do this without thinking.

Nothing like the premeditated flouting of so many others. The Kinnocks, the SNP idiot travelling from London knowing she had it, the mayor of Leicester, Sky journalists, and many more.

I have no time for her normally but this really was nothing.

Callistemon Thu 24-Dec-20 20:32:15

That is really sad, SueDonim and is happening all the time. I've lost two friends and three friendly acquaintances, now an ex-work colleague this year, none from COVID, as far as we know, but all in hospital so probably alone.
It is so distressing for families.

Oldbat1 Thu 24-Dec-20 19:25:17

She apologised sincerely and held her hands up to being wrong. She to me is as a very genuine person. As for the falling Covid numbers and Scotland shutting down on Boxing Day that is a wise move. New Year is very important to majority of Scots and is a huge celebration. Growing up in the 50s and 60s as a child both my parents worked Christmas Day as it wasn’t a public holiday but they didn’t work on New Year.

SueDonim Thu 24-Dec-20 17:37:13

Callistemon the NHS offloaded our friend into the care system, where his partner had no idea how he was being cared for. She doesn’t know whether anyone sat with him. While he was in the hospital she was allowed some visits. That stopped as soon as he was moved and as she cried to me, she didn’t even know what his room looked like let alone who his carers were. ?

rosie1959 Thu 24-Dec-20 16:46:59

Because nobody is perfect and if they are they haven’t lived much
I actually can’t stand Nicola Sturgeon and really wish she would shut up with her constant whining but this was a simple slip of the human kind

AGAA4 Thu 24-Dec-20 16:41:36

This episode is not on a par with some of the other infringements. Nicola Sturgeon momentarily forgot to put her mask back on. No reason to pounce on her for this and to bring up other gripes.

BlueBelle Thu 24-Dec-20 15:41:16

Good grief it’s so wonderful so many are sooooo perfect
The lady comes across as a sincere person and it sounds like a very easy mistake to make I ve stepped into shops and realised I haven’t put one on and a quick scramble to mask up
I think some people are looking for any tiny thing to beat her with Hopefully she’s not reading this and will continue her hard and dispiriting work

Callistemon Thu 24-Dec-20 15:39:26

They could be tested before going to sit with a loved one who is dying.

paddyanne Thu 24-Dec-20 15:37:49

My daughters best friend lost her dad back in the summer,he was already in hospital when he caught Covid.According to the ward staff it was brought onto the ward by families visiting other patients ,not just visiting, they all went outside for a smoke ,mixing with god knows who.
Its only common sense to keep people away ,hard but fair on others who would be put at risk .We've lost family and friends to it ,12 in total and we dont want to lose any more because someone thinks the rules shouldn't apply to them

Callistemon Thu 24-Dec-20 15:27:22

Well, some of it is downright cruel. We’ve just lost a friend to a non-Covid cause, who saw not one single familiar face in the last three weeks of his life, except for his final two hours when his partner was allowed to visit.
I agree,

It's hard on nursing staff too, who are there holding the hands of patients, doing their best to comfort them in their last days, when they know that it is the patient's relatives who are the ones who should be there.

Bridgeit Thu 24-Dec-20 12:15:49

I don’t think NS, would show a ‘never mind dear, we all make mistakes’ attitude to anyone else.
I’m sure We have all been ‘bitten in the bum’ by our own comments/behaviour . It’s not a pleasant experience when the tables are turned .

SueDonim Thu 24-Dec-20 12:12:17

Well, some of it is downright cruel. We’ve just lost a friend to a non-Covid cause, who saw not one single familiar face in the last three weeks of his life, except for his final two hours when his partner was allowed to visit.

I cannot imagine the agonies he went through and as his partner said, what on earth were they saving him from? His family now have to live with those memories for the rest of their lives.

I am angry that no heed has been given to people in their position - and they will be far from alone.

Parsley3 Thu 24-Dec-20 12:04:21

The logic behind the Boxing Day lockdown is that it is a preventative measure as has been clearly explained. Surely by now no one thinks that if cases go down they will stay down.

lemongrove Thu 24-Dec-20 12:02:51

Because Hogmanay is such a big celebratory occasion do Scottish grans think that rules will be abided by?

Elegran Thu 24-Dec-20 11:48:24

Probably because it is expected that cases will shoot up again due to all the festive booze cheer and the loving hugs and kisses. Then there would be the Hogmanay celebrations. If there is a clampdown that will at least cut down on a lot of the contacts, even if some people pretend they haven't heard about it, or don't understand how it will help.

Kalu Thu 24-Dec-20 11:46:07

Lockdown from Boxing Day will surely see cases going down even further. Blame the people who flaunt the guidelines, not Nicola Sturgeon. A sensible decision I would think and I agree with it.

SueDonim Thu 24-Dec-20 11:33:07

If cases are going down already, why is Scotland being subjected to such a severe lockdown from Boxing Day? I don’t understand the logic.

HootyMcOwlface Thu 24-Dec-20 11:33:03

Misdeeds? Really, that’s a bit over the top for a momentary lapse. I’m sure we have all done it at some point?

Kim19 Thu 24-Dec-20 11:28:46

Just heard on news that Covid cases have gone up in all UK countries except Scotland which has gone down. Make allowances for statistics but maybe NS can be forgiven?

25Avalon Thu 24-Dec-20 11:27:32

I don’t like NS or her politics. That aside she was distracted and for a very short period of time stepped back inside but still kept her distance. It was also a wake where natural compassion overrode the rules albeit briefly. She has admitted her error and apologised which should be enough. She didn’t get on a train knowing she had tested positive for coronavirus and I don’t think she would.

Alexa Thu 24-Dec-20 11:16:47

NB Nicola Sturgeon's small lapse is not in the same class as Trump's pardoning crinimals who are Trump supporters yet many people are too apathetic to condemn Trump.