Gransnet forums

News & politics

Political Correctness or just Madness?

(79 Posts)
Firecracker123 Mon 04-Jan-21 12:23:18

Dad's BARMY: BBC slaps 'discriminatory language' warning on film version of classic sitcom that refers to the French as 'frogs'

Dad's Army 1971 film now goes with a warning. You couldn't make it up could you.

Galaxy Mon 04-Jan-21 22:19:09

Is he still on the BBC? I kind of got the impression his star had faded some time ago. Horrible misogynistic bully.

BradfordLass73 Tue 05-Jan-21 00:03:56

I've recently been listening to Radio 4 and Radio 4 Extra and I'm astounded by just how much anti-foreigner language there is. 'frogs' is only one example.

The Americans glibly talk about 'towel-heads' and wonder why Middle Eastern people don't like it.

And I'm sorry to say this and racism has become a very popular subject for stand-up comedians.

But if you listen, it's an excuse to curry favour (if you'll excuse the expression) with an audience of like-minded people.

If you are, for instance English and you poke fun at English characteristics, it's often (but not always) funny but the same script delivered by a non-English person would be
racist.
That's the definition of racism: to blame an individual or group's perceived shortcomings on racial heritage.

Iam64 Tue 05-Jan-21 08:49:55

From Benny Hill to Little Britain, so many 'minority' groups are dismissed, humiliated and exploited as so called entertainment. Yet, so many here defend their right to be offensive and accuse anyone who doesn't like it of being 'snowflakes'.