Gransnet forums

News & politics

Vote is Yea to impeach Donald Trump

(64 Posts)
PippaZ Wed 13-Jan-21 21:25:42

Just that really. I thought it might be interesting to follow this separately, if that's okay.

I must say I wish we could see the votes counting up for the parties in the way that we can do for the USA.

NotSpaghetti Thu 14-Jan-21 22:56:31

I hope they look at the websites Trump and his Twitter-mate Dan Scavino were trawling. Then someone needs to disclose what Trump actually knew ahead of his rabble-rousing. I believe that would be enough to convict.

Dinahmo Thu 14-Jan-21 23:00:41

Apparently several Republicans who no longer support Trump will not support the vote to convict because they are worried about local reaction o their homes and families.

I would very much like to see Trump disgraced and possibly imprisoned for all the harm that he has caused.

Chewbacca Thu 14-Jan-21 23:18:38

I would very much like to see Trump disgraced and possibly imprisoned for all the harm that he has caused

I don't think that this will happen in the short term but I think that eventually, when all the dust has settled, he will. He's made a lot of enemies, who have long memories, and who will wait until he's on his financial uppers and be unable to call in all his rich and influential friends to help him.

lemongrove Thu 14-Jan-21 23:24:07

Yes, I think you are right about that Chewbacca
I don’t think it matters if he isn’t actually convicted ( it seems unlikely) what matters is that impeachment charges have been brought (twice!) and that his name is now mud, even with many Republicans.He may try and run for some kind of public office but unlikely he will get anywhere with it.

varian Mon 18-Jan-21 19:11:36

We were warned. This is a post from last September.

"Among the staunch Trump supporters are those who will merely vote for him, those who will demonstrate for him — something Trump encourages — and those who will use violence in order to ensure the re-election of the man they see as their only potential saviour. Violence is a real possibility as the campaign progresses"

theconversation.com/why-hard-core-trump-supporters-ignore-his-lies-144650

varian Wed 27-Jan-21 10:21:55

With former President Donald Trump's Senate impeachment trial looming, several Republicans in the upper chamber are reportedly rallying around the argument that impeaching a president who is already out of office is unconstitutional.

As The Dispatch and Politico note, scholars in legal circles that span the political spectrum generally disagree, and Trump himself suggested ex-presidents could be tried a year ago. Per The Washington Post, when Trump was impeached for the first time, he complained that Congress should be going after former President Barack Obama instead over comments he made about health care. "We should impeach him for that," Trump said. "Why aren't we impeaching him?"

news.yahoo.com/trump-himself-suggested-former-president-160600047.html

nanna8 Wed 27-Jan-21 11:57:12

The main thing is that he never, ever tries to become President again.

varian Thu 28-Jan-21 18:50:52

In Sundown, Texas, Mayor Jonathan Strickland said there’s “no way in hell” Biden won fairly. The only way he’ll believe it, he said, is if Trump himself says so.

“Trump is the only one we’ve been able to trust for the last four years,” said Strickland, an oilfield production engineer. “As far as the civil war goes, I don’t think it’s off the table.”

www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-trump-fraud-insight-idUSKBN2801D4

The problem is that these millions of Trump followers have now switched from watching Fox News (far more extreme right wing than anything we have in this country) to Newsmax and AON which are even further off the edge of reason, encouraging nonsense conspiracy theories and whipping up insurrection.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 28-Jan-21 19:15:28

He was talking about setting up his own political party which would be really good news as it would spread the votes for him over 2 parties instead of just one.

varian Thu 28-Jan-21 19:15:54

They came from across America, summoned by President Donald Trump to march on Washington in support of his false claim that the November election was stolen and to stop the congressional certification of Democrat Joe Biden as the victor.

“Big protest in D.C. on January 6th,” Trump tweeted a week before Christmas. “Be there, will be wild!”

The insurrectionist mob that showed up at the president’s behest and stormed the U.S. Capitol was overwhelmingly made up of longtime Trump supporters, including Republican Party officials, GOP political donors, far-right militants, white supremacists, off-duty police, members of the military and adherents of the QAnon myth that the government is secretly controlled by a cabal of Satan-worshiping pedophile cannibals. Records show that some were heavily armed and included convicted criminals, such as a Florida man recently released from prison for attempted murder.

apnews.com/article/us-capitol-siege-trump-supporters-8edfd3bb994568b7cdcd2243ad769101

If the Republican Senators have any respect for truth, justice and the constitution of the USA, they should convict Trump at his impeachment trial.

Sadly I suspect that this will not happen because of the threats of violence from these insane Trump supporters.

Elegran Thu 28-Jan-21 20:10:55

No need for votes and elections, then. All anyone needs to do is threaten more violence than the other side and they will get their way. Much cheaper, too, than organising all those campaigns and ballots and counting and recounting the votes for each candidate. (sarcasm alert)

CraftyGranny Sat 30-Jan-21 10:28:13

How can he be impeached, he is no longer the President? They can only impeach a sitting President

varian Sat 30-Jan-21 11:11:26

That will be the basis for the argument used to stop it CraftyGranny but experts of the US constitution take different views.

Trump though that an ex-president could be impeached. He wanted to impeach Barack Obama.

However, it still looks unlikely that 17 Republican Senators will be brave enough to act with their conscience as it would likely mean them and their families needing massive levels of security for the rest of their lives.