Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Good that Men do - Donald Trump?

(236 Posts)
BigBertha1 Thu 14-Jan-21 12:40:23

I dont usually join in the politics on here but I was just wondering over breakfast with DH today did DT do any good during his term of office- anything at all??

M0nica Thu 14-Jan-21 15:18:20

What did anything Trump did contribute to the drop in coal consumption? Correlation is not causation.

A lot of the reason coal consumption fell was because of a rapid increase in the production of shale gas with the pollution that can cause. It was one polluting fuel replaced with another. Trump also authorised drilling and production of hdrocarbons and the building of pipelines in pristine, supposedly, protected wildernesses

Also he moved the U.S. embassy in Israel to Jerusalem and proposed a peace plan that substituted economic development for immediate Palestinian statehood.

Try this for size - a quote from the Washington Post: Trump and Kushner have managed to bury the two-state solution and have thrown us toward a one-state “solution” where Israel is de facto sovereign over the area between the Jordan Valley and the Mediterranean, with millions of Palestinians living without civil or political rights equal to their Israeli counterparts, unable to travel outside their assigned enclaves, import or export commodities or do much about their lives without a permit from Israeli authorities. This situation has a name, regardless of whom one blames for it: apartheid.

That is why the Trump peace plan was just another example of Trumpian bullying and, rightly, has come to nothing.

Urmstongran Thu 14-Jan-21 15:25:50

Actually he’s left quite a lasting legacy (not good if you vote Democrat).

He's appointed 53 judges on the 13 US circuit courts. To put this into perspective, former President Barack Obama appointed 55 circuit judges in his 8 years in the White House.

The courts get the final say in US politics, setting precedents that can shape the country for years to come.

Even though Trump was not reelected in 2020, his presidency will continue to have an influence on the direction of the US because of the sheer number of conservative federal judges he's installed.

The GOP will be happy for years to come.

I’m not sure when Biden can appoint one?

Callistemon Thu 14-Jan-21 16:15:59

The evil that men do lives after them
The good is oft interred with their bones

I'm thinking ......
There must be something

paddyanne Thu 14-Jan-21 16:16:30

Is that the same as Bojo creating extra LORDS ,seems there have been 360 EXTRA tory lords in tha past ten years,its just a way of pushing through tory policy ...take their money and give them a gong in return .Such HIGH standards the tories have ...lol

GrannyGravy13 Thu 14-Jan-21 16:26:32

SNP isn’t squeaky clean!

varian Thu 14-Jan-21 16:30:33

Trump promised a vast investment and hundreds of jobs. The former Scotland first minister Alex Salmond cosied up to Trump over his environmentally disastrous golf resort before, rather late in the day, he changed his tune.

varian Thu 14-Jan-21 16:30:57

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/dec/20/alex-salmond-donald-trump-scotland

Barmeyoldbat Thu 14-Jan-21 17:10:52

Brought all the troops home from war zones and they are now on standby for a war zone at home.

Artaylar Thu 14-Jan-21 17:13:07

That brought a wry smile to my face barmeyoldbat

Urmstongran Thu 14-Jan-21 17:15:07

I know. Sleeping on the hard floor too as Pelosi walks past on the way to her bed.

It’s all about the optics. ‘Ooh we’re so scared’. Good politicking though don’t blame them.

M0nica Thu 14-Jan-21 17:57:55

Urmston OP asked whether Trump did any good during his time in office. Appointing judges is just an administrative function nothing special about that - and remember within weeks of his latest supreme court appointee, a women considered very right wing, she voted to throw out an attempt he made to appeal to that court to overturn the election result.

Judges come and judges go, but did he do anything good?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 14-Jan-21 18:10:52

Urmstongran

I know. Sleeping on the hard floor too as Pelosi walks past on the way to her bed.

It’s all about the optics. ‘Ooh we’re so scared’. Good politicking though don’t blame them.

You sound as if you are in lockstep with the insurrectionists.

Urmstongran Thu 14-Jan-21 18:11:25

I think he raised the spirits of many blue collar workers MOnica. For whatever reason as a poster said upthread, most of them don’t trust the Democrats.

He did alter the tax codes, leaving more money in more worker’s pockets. I’d have to look that up though. I read about it some months ago & cant recall the details.

I’d say that was good.

Urmstongran Thu 14-Jan-21 18:12:52

Don’t be daft WW I can just identify the optics if that situation. It doesn’t take an Einstein to work out what’s going on.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 14-Jan-21 18:18:04

Urmstongran

Don’t be daft WW I can just identify the optics if that situation. It doesn’t take an Einstein to work out what’s going on.

As you wish

Urmstongran Thu 14-Jan-21 18:18:35

Knew about tax changes.
Here you go.

“NEARLY DOUBLING THE STANDARD TAX DEDUCTION

The 2017 tax bill failed to deliver an investment boom, but it did lighten the tax load of many low-income earners, as well as simplify their life. Before the tax bill, the standard deduction for taxpayers was $6,350 for single people, $9,350 for heads of household, and $12,700 for married couples. (There was also a personal exemption of $4,050.) Beyond that protected amount, low-income taxpayers could deduct additional amounts—if they kept proper records.

The tax law swept away that need for record-keeping by lower-wage workers. And it nearly doubled the standard deduction: For income earned in 2020, single people pay no income tax on their first $12,400, heads of household on their first $18,650, and married couples on their first $24,800.

This measure did a real service not only to the working poor, but to many middle-income families, who can deduct more while reporting less.”

EllanVannin Thu 14-Jan-21 18:21:55

I wonder if " the wall " will come down ?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 14-Jan-21 18:34:18

Urmstongran

Knew about tax changes.
Here you go.

“NEARLY DOUBLING THE STANDARD TAX DEDUCTION

The 2017 tax bill failed to deliver an investment boom, but it did lighten the tax load of many low-income earners, as well as simplify their life. Before the tax bill, the standard deduction for taxpayers was $6,350 for single people, $9,350 for heads of household, and $12,700 for married couples. (There was also a personal exemption of $4,050.) Beyond that protected amount, low-income taxpayers could deduct additional amounts—if they kept proper records.

The tax law swept away that need for record-keeping by lower-wage workers. And it nearly doubled the standard deduction: For income earned in 2020, single people pay no income tax on their first $12,400, heads of household on their first $18,650, and married couples on their first $24,800.

This measure did a real service not only to the working poor, but to many middle-income families, who can deduct more while reporting less.”

Or he could have used the money for health care. Just think of that?

Urmstongran Thu 14-Jan-21 18:37:35

Don’t think so EV it cost a lot of taxpayer dollars and is proving popular with many. A leaky half job as it was before was no use to beast or man.

M0nica Thu 14-Jan-21 18:40:31

As I understand he gave much larger tax cuts to wealthier people. Reducing government revenue comes at a price, which is cuts in governemtn services.

Trump left to himself would have abolished the Medicare Act that Obama introduced, fortunately for the poor and sick in the US he was stopped from doing so.

His treatment of immigrants, specifically those coming over from Mexico, not only splitting parents from children but doing it in a way that made it difficult to re-unite them and the pictures of the conditions many of the children were kept in were appalling.

And then of course last September he lifted the ban on the execution of Federal prisoners condemned to death. Since then 8 people have been executed and 2 more are expected to die before the 20th

In the balance of good and bad, the scales are very heavily weighted towards the evil this man did, the very occasional minor thing he did that advantaged anyone wasthan paid for by the evil he did

Urmstongran Thu 14-Jan-21 18:53:17

Look - I’m not his guardian angel. I recognise the man is Marmite. He achieved some good things (which is why he garnered more votes this time around) an stayed true to his manifesto. A surprise to many in itself.

I think I just wanted to illustrate some things that weren’t ‘evil’.

But I’m not here to paint a halo. He let a lot of people down and he achieved little in some eyes. Fair enough. They voted him out & they get a turn now.

?

varian Thu 14-Jan-21 19:46:38

Trump refusing to pay Giulliani's legal feesr

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/14/trump-refusing-to-pay-rudy-giuliani-legal-fees-after-falling-out

M0nica Thu 14-Jan-21 20:34:08

Urmston no one is attacking you, but quite simply the amount of damage Trump has done to his country in so many ways, its place in the world, especially after he effectively incited his supporters to stage a coup last week, out weighs any little good he accidentally did.

As for Marmite, well only if you are comparing him with Putin, Chavez, Kim Jong Un and Xi Jinping.

In an election that saw the largest turnout yet at an American election, he got fewer votes than the winner. In his first election he got fewer votes than the loser. He has never had the majority vote. In a politically polarised country like the US, many of his voters were simply republican voters voting for the republican candidate.

Yes, he has his zealot supporters, but the thing that struck me about last weeks abortive coup, is how few people there were there. Normally when you see events in Washington, you are looking at a sea of people, no tarmac visible for huge distances around. Last weeks demonstration didn't even fill the small area around The Capitol building. Lots of visible tarmac, groups chatting and just wandering around.

But lets face it look at Boris Johnson's reputation before he was voted in as leader. Not as rich as Trump, but just as creative with the truth, yet the majority of conservative mebers voted him in as leader and swarms of lifelong Labour voters voted for him in the 2019 election.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 14-Jan-21 20:34:29

varian

Trump refusing to pay Giulliani's legal feesr

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/14/trump-refusing-to-pay-rudy-giuliani-legal-fees-after-falling-out

Yes I saw that. Giuliani won’t be representing him in the impeachment trial, although given Giuliani could hardly represent him after his “war by combat” remark.

What a shower they are.

Iam64 Thu 14-Jan-21 21:14:20

Even if I accept your positive spin on some of trump's actions urmstongran, the bad vastly outweighs anything positive.
As MOnica says, his contribution to the Israeli-Palestinian problem doesn't begin to improve it. Moving the US embassy to Jerusalem was wrong.
He's a sleazy crook who should never have been President. He's leaving his country even more divided and I'mcertain. thats what he aimed for. Divide and rule.
More people are dying of covid than were killed in the Vietnam war. He wanted to destroy Obama care which at least was an attempt to provide health care. He has no empathy or compassion, he cares only about himself.