Gransnet forums

News & politics

Over 70s and clinically extremely vulnerable to be offered vaccine

(125 Posts)
PippaZ Mon 18-Jan-21 08:54:06

People aged over 70 and those listed as clinically extremely vulnerable will be invited to receive coronavirus vaccinations starting this week.

The first two groups will remain the priority but vaccination sites that have supply and capacity will be allowed to vaccinate those in the third and fourth groups as well.

As that seems to be already happening I think the government is, yet again, catching up. Huge thanks to the scientists, doctors, nurses, administrators and volunteers. We may survive in spite of the government, it seems.

Smileless2012 Mon 18-Jan-21 11:06:38

It is also because of the government growstuff.

growstuff Mon 18-Jan-21 11:08:58

Smileless2012

It is also because of the government growstuff.

I didn't claim it wasn't.

growstuff Mon 18-Jan-21 11:09:41

I'm just very grateful the NHS is doing the work, rather than having the whole operation outsourced.

JaneJudge Mon 18-Jan-21 11:30:56

growstuff

I'm just very grateful the NHS is doing the work, rather than having the whole operation outsourced.

So am I in all honesty. I care for someone with a severe disability who has been completely overlooked wrt disability but our medical centre called last week as they wanted her identified as one of the 'missed ones'. Whether this will happen is anyone's guess but it seems common sense to involve medical professionals who know their patients.

Peasblossom, I was a bit hmm that Stevenage seemed the closest place for the whole of the East of England to go!

JaneJudge Mon 18-Jan-21 11:31:25

I must add 'according to the news' as the vaccination centres were listed.

JenniferEccles Mon 18-Jan-21 11:53:04

Oh I do agree Ellianne but if they missed the target by weeks for instance, I can imagine the outcry from some complaining about another government target missed. It would be a gift to the Opposition unfortunately.

Yes let’s be hopeful that the target date is beaten!

A very cheery start to the week for us all.

growstuff Mon 18-Jan-21 11:55:39

JaneJudge

growstuff

So am I in all honesty. I care for someone with a severe disability who has been completely overlooked wrt disability but our medical centre called last week as they wanted her identified as one of the 'missed ones'. Whether this will happen is anyone's guess but it seems common sense to involve medical professionals who know their patients.

Peasblossom, I was a bit hmm that Stevenage seemed the closest place for the whole of the East of England to go!

It isn't. Stevenage would be my nearest hub, but the local leisure centre, which is about half a mile from where I live, has been vaccinating people every Saturday for a few weeks. GPs from four practices are organising it.

Ilovecheese Mon 18-Jan-21 11:58:11

The only thing we can thank the Government for regarding the rollout of the vaccine is that they didn't give the contract to Serco or similar, and not to any of their friends. The NHS, the Army and public sector workers are responsible for this, and are doing very well.

growstuff Mon 18-Jan-21 11:59:58

Details of vaccinations in Hertfordshire and West Essex ...

www.enhertsccg.nhs.uk/news/202012/covid-19-vaccinations-being-offered-hertfordshire-and-west-essex-gps

Stevenage is in Hertfordshire and the hub will be working alongside local GP hubs.

JaneJudge Mon 18-Jan-21 12:17:07

growstuff, I did add to my post underneath smile I pressed post too soon! I'm 15 mins from Stevenage and have heard nothing about anything local, as I've said earlier on in the thread - I imagine this is done on purpose though to stop loads of people ringing up. Our local GP surgery (not mine I hasten to add) doesn't answer the phone atm, patients have to ring 111 (!!!)

Peasblossom Mon 18-Jan-21 12:47:08

15 minutes? Before all this I’d drive further than that for a cup of coffee?

Hope your medical centre fits you both in ASAP.

PippaZ Mon 18-Jan-21 12:48:56

growstuff

Me too. I have just heard an American commentator say that when Biden takes over we will be reminded just what government is all about. Oh that we could say the same here. Just as under Trump, the personal politics of those in power rides roughshod over governing the country.

paddyanne Mon 18-Jan-21 14:25:24

Alegrias the only reason SNHS is behind the curve is because they are treating all care home occupants and staff first .Its takes more time than the 5000 that were vaccinated at the Louisa Jordan on Saturday .Over 80% of the over 80's have had their jag .My MIL had hers last week it was administered at home ,2 nurses .That all takes time .The plan is for all over 65's to be done by the end of March.

Madgran77 Mon 18-Jan-21 14:27:47

On this one, I don't think it is particularly fair to criticise the Government. On other stuff, but not this!

lemongrove Mon 18-Jan-21 14:33:15

Absolutely Madgran ??
We are ahead of any other European country.
We had the call to have the vaccination this Thursday ( 70 or over, and younger people with serious health issues too) and will only have to travel ten miles.

seacliff Mon 18-Jan-21 14:37:21

I am getting mine this week at local GP surgery, quite surprised as I am 70 and not clinically vulnerable.

SueDonim Mon 18-Jan-21 14:46:16

That’s great news, they’re really working hard to get this done, although it seems much slower in Scotland. I don’t know a single person in my area or my 93yo mother’s area who has a vaccine. My own area isn’t even starting vaccinating until Friday 22nd - so who is it has been getting the jags? hmm

Yet my mum’s 95yo cousin in Hampshire has had both his doses. It must have given him a new lease of life as he’s also acquired a new, younger, girlfriend. She’s only 78. grin

JaneJudge Mon 18-Jan-21 14:51:01

Peasblossom

15 minutes? Before all this I’d drive further than that for a cup of coffee?

Hope your medical centre fits you both in ASAP.

thank you smile I wasn't moaning about me driving there, just the rest of the people as it was showing on the news as though no where else had any vaccination centres in the East of England grin

Alegrias1 Mon 18-Jan-21 14:51:15

paddyanne

Alegrias the only reason SNHS is behind the curve is because they are treating all care home occupants and staff first .Its takes more time than the 5000 that were vaccinated at the Louisa Jordan on Saturday .Over 80% of the over 80's have had their jag .My MIL had hers last week it was administered at home ,2 nurses .That all takes time .The plan is for all over 65's to be done by the end of March.

Fully agree paddyanne

Alegrias1 Mon 18-Jan-21 14:55:08

SueDonim

That’s great news, they’re really working hard to get this done, although it seems much slower in Scotland. I don’t know a single person in my area or my 93yo mother’s area who has a vaccine. My own area isn’t even starting vaccinating until Friday 22nd - so who is it has been getting the jags? hmm

Yet my mum’s 95yo cousin in Hampshire has had both his doses. It must have given him a new lease of life as he’s also acquired a new, younger, girlfriend. She’s only 78. grin

I think I recall your general area SueDonim. Both my parents had their first doses last week, they live in the same council area as you. It was, as they say, "stowed out the door" when they went. Socially distanced of course. smile

GillT57 Mon 18-Jan-21 15:00:50

It all seems to be going very well, and the NHS are to be congratulated, along with the Army and volunteers. A fantastic effort all round. Those of us who are not fans of this government do have the intelligence to see when things are going well you know, nothing is 100% bad! It is interesting that the vaccine programme, run by 'the state' is going so much better than the pathetic track and trace which was outsourced. I wonder if the difficulty in parts of Europe is that many of the countries have a part state, part insurance based system which may possibly make the rolling out of the vaccine more difficult?

Callistemon Mon 18-Jan-21 15:07:21

LadyGracie

Will Wales catch up I wonder? Information is sadly lacking. The First Minister is dire!

Well done England!!

Yes, LadyGracie, apparently they are hanging on to half the Pfuzer vaccines, it was reported at lunch-time, as they don't want to give them all out and leave vaccinators with nothing to do.
Dr David Bailey, Chair of the BMA in Wales said: “For the First Minister to say that there is ‘no point’ in using all the supplies in a week to ensure vaccinators aren’t standing around with nothing to do is truly bewildering.

“Frontline staff are risking their lives to help others - the priority must be to get the second dose administered to those who have received the first, and to accelerate first doses for all remaining vaccinations to ensure maximum protection for staff and patients. We are asking Welsh Government to stop sitting on supplies and get on with it.”
ITV today.

vegansrock Mon 18-Jan-21 15:13:57

I congratulate the government for not giving the rollout to Serco, Dido or Matt Hancock’s pub landlord to organise, instead thanks for the organisation of the NHS, local hubs, volunteers and the army for logistics of distribution. Also thanks to all the scientists from many countries for making it possible in the first place.

SueDonim Mon 18-Jan-21 15:20:08

I’m in the NE, Alegrias. I’m guessing your parents are city-based? Mine’s a rural area and we seem to be last on the list, our surgery put a notice out to say that they hope to receive some vaccine this week and start work on Friday. It seems much later than many other places. Same for my mum and in fact my friend’s Dh who is in care has yet to receive his vaccine.

It’s hard to fathom out what’s going on and people are getting worried about the lack of information.

Alegrias1 Mon 18-Jan-21 15:23:06

Not a city Sue, in a town. Not rural though, that's correct.