Gransnet forums

News & politics

Over 70s and clinically extremely vulnerable to be offered vaccine

(124 Posts)
PippaZ Mon 18-Jan-21 08:54:06

People aged over 70 and those listed as clinically extremely vulnerable will be invited to receive coronavirus vaccinations starting this week.

The first two groups will remain the priority but vaccination sites that have supply and capacity will be allowed to vaccinate those in the third and fourth groups as well.

As that seems to be already happening I think the government is, yet again, catching up. Huge thanks to the scientists, doctors, nurses, administrators and volunteers. We may survive in spite of the government, it seems.

Kate54 Mon 18-Jan-21 09:16:49

Great, optimistic post!

Smileless2012 Mon 18-Jan-21 09:28:31

It's because of the government that this is happening.

merlotgran Mon 18-Jan-21 09:31:25

It will be a red letter day that's for sure.

Bring it on!

Sparklefizz Mon 18-Jan-21 09:33:32

Hooray! smile
We need something to look forward to.

Nanof3 Mon 18-Jan-21 09:33:57

Why knock the government when we are doing so much better than many other countries? A little praise would be good even though it may stick in the craw of some on here.

Sparklefizz Mon 18-Jan-21 09:37:57

Hear hear! Nanof3

LadyGracie Mon 18-Jan-21 09:39:31

Will Wales catch up I wonder? Information is sadly lacking. The First Minister is dire!

Sar53 Mon 18-Jan-21 09:40:48

I totally agree Nanaof3 , we are doing so much better than the rest of Europe. A bit of praise and some positivity would be so much better than all the negative comments.

Alegrias1 Mon 18-Jan-21 09:43:21

How come a good news story suddenly becomes doom and gloom? I'm happy that the vaccinations are moving ahead in the UK. Scotland is a bit behind the curve right now, but I know we'll catch up. As will Wales.

Here's some stats that cheer me up. Look at NI go!

Ellianne Mon 18-Jan-21 09:44:45

Excellent news. Getting down to the lower age groups means things will now go much faster and much more efficiently. Roll on the end of summer when all adults will have been vaccinated.

V3ra Mon 18-Jan-21 09:52:30

My Dad (89) had his first vaccination on Saturday ?
We accompanied him (in a separate car) just in case there were any problems, but he went in by himself and was out after the fifteen minutes wait. It was well organised and there was a steady stream of happy older people going in!
Dad had met one of the carers from his extra-care apartments as he was setting off, she'd just come back from having her vaccination.

vegansrock Mon 18-Jan-21 09:54:20

Im 71 and had 1st one last week, so many hubs cracking on to avoid wastage.

Casdon Mon 18-Jan-21 10:02:10

Brilliant news, well done NHS for organising this marathon task so efficiently, including in Wales, where the figures haven’t been updated since Thursday because Public Health Wales don’t report on weekends.
I’m really optimistic that once there are more supplies of the Astra Zeneca vaccine available it will accelerate even more quickly, and that the target of getting all vulnerable groups and over 50s done by spring will be met.

growstuff Mon 18-Jan-21 10:02:51

Smileless2012

It's because of the government that this is happening.

It's because we have an integrated NHS.

BigBertha1 Mon 18-Jan-21 10:08:07

I am so glad about this and wondered myself why the clinically vulnerable weren't higher up the list although by default lots of the 80s and 90s also fit this description so its all good news. I am so happy that DH will get his soon and I know I have to wait as I am SO much younger than him. grin

Ellianne Mon 18-Jan-21 10:12:29

It's because we have an integrated NHS.

Precisely, and note how often the army says, "*We are working with the NHS*" No mention of working with the government!
The big machine puts things in place but it is the boots on the ground including NHS staff who swing into action and get it sorted.
Praise where praise is due.

Kate1949 Mon 18-Jan-21 10:24:44

Good news indeed. Mind you, my 93 year old neighbour who has health issues hasn't had it yet.

Vickysponge Mon 18-Jan-21 10:32:08

Nanof3

Why knock the government when we are doing so much better than many other countries? A little praise would be good even though it may stick in the craw of some on here.

Completely agree! Well said.

JaneJudge Mon 18-Jan-21 10:36:25

There does seem a lot of regional differences. I don't know anyone here who has had one (East of England) yet in the Midlands where my family live, loads of them had one. My Mum was called for one yesterday, last minute in her mid 60s but was classed as a healthcare worker - I am very pleased about this, mind you smile

grannysyb Mon 18-Jan-21 10:38:57

Southwest London here, DH (83), had his last Thursday, I'm 73 get mine on Wednesday, really pleased.

Peasblossom Mon 18-Jan-21 10:46:27

It’s fairly even by region JaneJudge if the NHS statistics are correct. Every region in the 30 -40 percentile (for the first four groups) except the NorthWest which is higher.

Eastern England is in the lower part of the percentile, perhaps reflecting the distances to be travelled. As my OH said when visiting me for the first time, ‘Norfolk. A long way between places” ?

JenniferEccles Mon 18-Jan-21 10:59:00

I was going to start a thread as well about this excellent news.

The vaccine rollout is going brilliantly and, so long as the supplies keep coming in, we are pretty well on target to meet the government’s very brave and ambitious target.

Even if the mid February deadline is missed by a week or two it is still a fantastic achievement. Probably like a lot of people, to me it seemed a hell of an ambitious target to get all over 70s done by mid February, but it’s going so well, touch wood, that it now seems achievable.

What a shame you had to spoil your optimistic thread by the addition of the ‘despite the government’ comment though PippaZ

The government has played a part in the organisation you know!

varian Mon 18-Jan-21 10:59:44

Thank goodness for experts. The vaccines have been developed by expert scientists. manufactured by experts in the mass production of vaccines and are being delivered to the public courtesy of our expert local GPS co-ordinates by expert Directors of Public Health.

Ellianne Mon 18-Jan-21 11:03:12

I think it's good to be (over) ambitious JE. Why not aim high, very often expectations can be exceeded.