Gransnet forums

News & politics

Over 70s and clinically extremely vulnerable to be offered vaccine

(125 Posts)
PippaZ Mon 18-Jan-21 08:54:06

People aged over 70 and those listed as clinically extremely vulnerable will be invited to receive coronavirus vaccinations starting this week.

The first two groups will remain the priority but vaccination sites that have supply and capacity will be allowed to vaccinate those in the third and fourth groups as well.

As that seems to be already happening I think the government is, yet again, catching up. Huge thanks to the scientists, doctors, nurses, administrators and volunteers. We may survive in spite of the government, it seems.

SueDonim Thu 21-Jan-21 13:25:23

Patience isn’t a virtue that can be ascribed to me, Marydoll! grin

dragonfly46 Thu 21-Jan-21 13:31:55

We got a call this morning giving my DH an appointment next Tuesday. He is 76. She tried to get me in as well as I am in the Extremely Vulnerable group but she told me I was too young. It is a long time since I heard that!!

prestbury Thu 21-Jan-21 13:50:49

I have not had a call yet and despite being within the age group as far as I know I am not a vulnerable case.

Having said that I will be patiently waiting for the call with my arm bared.

MawBe Thu 21-Jan-21 14:54:15

dragonfly46

We got a call this morning giving my DH an appointment next Tuesday. He is 76. She tried to get me in as well as I am in the Extremely Vulnerable group but she told me I was too young. It is a long time since I heard that!!

You’ll be being asked for ID next time you are down the offy Dragonfly ! grin

Hellogirl1 Thu 21-Jan-21 16:08:44

Despite having a brand new mass vaccination centre here in town, I`ve been offered Norwich or Leicester for my jab, 60 and 53 miles away, so am going to wait and try again for somewhere nearer.

Sarahmob Thu 21-Jan-21 16:12:09

My parents (78 & 79) have now got their appointments, much to my relief!

Greyduster Thu 21-Jan-21 16:28:41

My DH had his vaccination appointment this morning, so I went with him in case he might not be able to drive back. I was surprised to be invited to have one too even though I’m not vulnerable. I was within the age range and there were more vaccines available than people left on the list, so I said yes. I wasn’t the only one getting a “two for the price of one”. We have no illusions about the efficacy of the first vaccine, so we will continue to toe the line, but our children are both relieved and delighted.

Deedaa Thu 21-Jan-21 21:23:05

I had a text from my GP at about 5.30 this afternoon inviting me to book an appointment. Clicked on the link and found they were starting tomorrow so I shall be there at 10.10am.

GagaJo Thu 21-Jan-21 23:51:53

Oooooh Deedaa. I am jealous!

Namsnanny Fri 22-Jan-21 00:35:37

I read the delay in being able to move quicker with the vaccination program, is because the NHS had too many bureaucratic requirements for the volunteers to comply quickly.

The Pharmaceutical Services Negotiating Committee say they have been asking the NHS for authority to deliver vaccines from pharmacies for quite a while, with no response.
Which is a bit odd as they are perfectly placed to offer this service.

I'm not sure if any of this is directly down to the government.

Kamiso Fri 22-Jan-21 00:58:41

It seems everything that goes wrong is down to the govt but when things go well it’s nothing to do with them.

The thread started out so positively! (((sigh)))

growstuff Fri 22-Jan-21 02:06:17

Namsnanny

I read the delay in being able to move quicker with the vaccination program, is because the NHS had too many bureaucratic requirements for the volunteers to comply quickly.

The Pharmaceutical Services Negotiating Committee say they have been asking the NHS for authority to deliver vaccines from pharmacies for quite a while, with no response.
Which is a bit odd as they are perfectly placed to offer this service.

I'm not sure if any of this is directly down to the government.

I don't think that's entirely true. Yes, the application process was bureaucratic, but it seems to be a shortage of vaccines which is causing delays, not volunteers.

FannyCornforth Fri 22-Jan-21 02:17:49

Yesterday DH got a text inviting him to book his vaccination.
I clicked the link and it said to 'come back soon'.
It was also at a super hub, which I'm not keen on.
We'll be waiting until you can go to your GP or local pharmacy. I'll also be badgering them to give me a vaccine at the same time (in my capacity as his carer).

BigBertha1 Fri 22-Jan-21 09:33:49

DH is getting his on Saturday - he falls into two categories I'm delighted but will have to wait for mine (only a youthful 67).

Froglady Fri 22-Jan-21 09:43:36

Hellogirl1

Despite having a brand new mass vaccination centre here in town, I`ve been offered Norwich or Leicester for my jab, 60 and 53 miles away, so am going to wait and try again for somewhere nearer.

A vaccination centre was supposed to within 10 miles of people, then a 45 minute journey seemed to come from nowhere. What happens to people who don't have someone to take them for their vaccination and they live in a place without good public transport? Who wants to have to use 2 buses each way for instance? And they might have been staying at home all the time?

Froglady Fri 22-Jan-21 09:47:49

I heard of someone who is 81 years old and went to his appointment for the vaccination. The 2 people who had appointments before hadn't turned up but they wouldn't let him go in earlier so he had to remain standing outside until it was the time of the appointment? Surely he could have had his done earlier? If you go to hospital or the doctor's and the patient before hasn't turned up, they don't normally wait until it's time for your appointment before seeing you? Just seems a bit like bureaucracy gone wrong to me.

maryrose54 Fri 22-Jan-21 16:51:52

Just had a phone call from my surgery inviting me to make an appointment for my covid vaccination next week. Feel really guilty after reading all the previous posts as I am in my mid sixties and have no underlying health conditions. I queried this and the reply was that they seem to be getting through the list quickly. I am in Norfolk. Am obviously pleased to have had the call.

Callistemon Fri 22-Jan-21 17:02:32

LadyGracie

Will Wales catch up I wonder? Information is sadly lacking. The First Minister is dire!

LadyGracie and the Health Minister - just hopeless.

They have now found a red herring to diver everyone's attention away from their ineptness with the vaccination programme.

Apparently three Senedd members were caught having a drink at the bar in the Parliament building at the beginning of December just after the three week lockdown had been announced.
It is main news now, they are demanding a big investigation and the vaccination programme has been relegated to second place. Why didn't they shut the bar, just as publicans had to close their pubs?

It's a storm in a beer or wine glass and very useful for Drakeford and Gething to try to deflect away from their abysmal performances.

Casdon Fri 22-Jan-21 19:31:26

The vaccination uptake in Wales is done on a daily basis, I don’t know where you’re looking, but it’s on the Public Health Wales coronavirus web page, and reported by the news networks. here’s today’s:
www.walesonline.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-infection-rates-cases-wales-19679145
The numbers vaccinated to date are included. And yes, Wales is on target to meet the mid February deadline.

Callistemon Fri 22-Jan-21 21:08:39

Well that's good and has gone up since Tuesday, thank goodness, when Gething said 70% of over 80s had already been vaccinated but the actual figure was 23%.

I'm still waiting to hear.

Casdon Fri 22-Jan-21 21:17:03

It was a really stupid thing to say, he should have said he didn’t know the exact figure, that way he would have had more credibility.
A notice went up on my GP practice homepage yesterday to say they were receiving vaccine on 26th, and would be contacting the 75-79 age group to book their vaccinations from that date onwards, so it’s definitely happening now as there is more Astra Zeneca vaccine being distributed to the GPS as well as the bigger vaccination centres. I’m in Powys, and they have vaccinated a greater percentage so far than the other Welsh Health Board areas, but you can see from the daily updates that the other areas are now making good progress too, which is why I’m confident they will hit the target.

Franbern Sat 23-Jan-21 16:03:52

I am hoping to make my 80th birthday in June this year, and do have COPD and mild asthma .

On Wednesday I received a letter from the NHS telling me to book on line. When I did this the only venues were a good distance away. I did book for Taunton, but that would be a 50 mile round trip. The following day I received a message from my local surgery telling me to book locally - which I did and my daughter took me there this morning for my jab , and I have cancelled the other appointment.

Just this one hub venue was allocated by the local GP's for these jabs, and it was so brilliantly organised, from the moment we entered the car park. We were told where to park, and I did go in a little early as we could see there was virtually no queue outside the entrance. She was allowed to come in with me, names checked at door, and hand sanitiser for both of us. Sent along to wait at door to room I was allocated to and went straight in. Lovely people in there, really helpful and pleasant.

jab carried out in my right arm as I requested. As I was being accompanied and she was driving we were then allowed to leave straight away. Those who were by themselves had an area in which to sit for a time. We were actually back home about five minutes after my appointment time.

Wonderful NHS organisation, Cannot speak highly enough of all of them involved.

My daughter goes into school every day working with key workers children and other pupils. Her husband is Extremely vulnerable and is waiting to hear when he gets his.

I do feel that all those actually going in to work in schools should be much higher up the priority list.

JanetG Sat 23-Jan-21 16:07:27

Hear hear, Nanof3

BlueBelle Sat 23-Jan-21 16:12:23

Nothing here I m over 75