Gransnet forums

News & politics

Drs being paid £10 for home Covid vaccine vacs

(62 Posts)
mrsgreenfingers56 Sun 07-Feb-21 10:24:26

Thought this was way out of order to be honest. The NHS is stretched to the limit and yet our GP's being paid £10 for a home visit to give the Covid 19 vaccine. The GP's are not having many patients in their surgeries due to the virus and I would have thought they would be happy to do a home visit to the vulnerable without the extra payment. What do other Gransnetters think on this one?

Alegrias1 Sun 07-Feb-21 13:50:53

Oops, sorry both. flowers

BlueBelle Sun 07-Feb-21 13:58:04

I don’t see a problem with that at all a tradesman would charge about £40 as a call out fee, maybe more, when there are so many places to go to get the vaccines and most (of course not all) but most have someone family, friend or neighbour who can take them or even a taxi as a one off £10 to have a doctor come to the house doesn’t see a lot to me
I think we often expect too much

MaizieD Sun 07-Feb-21 14:06:09

MaizieD if your vet only charges £30 call out fee you are extremely lucky. Ours charges £85 + VAT!

Ah well, GG13, that's one of the benefits of living far from the centre of civilisation. wink

GrannyGravy13 Sun 07-Feb-21 14:18:04

MaizieD

^MaizieD if your vet only charges £30 call out fee you are extremely lucky. Ours charges £85 + VAT!^

Ah well, GG13, that's one of the benefits of living far from the centre of civilisation. wink

There are a few at our yard who thinks he charges according to the car you drive, might have to buy an old banger grin

ElaineI Sun 07-Feb-21 14:18:55

Doctors do get paid for vaccinations - flu included. It is part of the Practices overall financial payments. Has been for years. The person doing these vaccinations could be a GP, Practice Nurse, Community Nurse, Health Care Assistant etc but the money is paid to the Practices by the government. They also get paid for health checks for certain groups of illnesses. It ensures patients have regular checks. Part of a Practice Manager's role is managing the finances and checking that everything is kept up to date or they lose money. The money allows GPs to employ nurses, health care assistants and reception staff or else we would not have GP Practices any more.

Teacheranne Sun 07-Feb-21 15:19:39

Some people who are giving vaccinations are being paid directly. My sister in law is a health visitor who normally works part time, she has volunteered to work on her days off to give vaccinations and is paid for those days. There is a standard fee, not based on her normal pay and although I don’t know how much it is, she thinks it is very generous.

allium Sun 07-Feb-21 15:28:54

I would have been only too pleased to pay for home visit for elderly mother to have had vaccine at home instead of having to take her to a not very local hospital, at 99 she is not very mobile.

suziewoozie Sun 07-Feb-21 15:37:43

allium

I would have been only too pleased to pay for home visit for elderly mother to have had vaccine at home instead of having to take her to a not very local hospital, at 99 she is not very mobile.

Did the surgery refuse to do a home visit? If so, I’d be on to them and asking for a home visit for the second vaccine. The idea of paying for a home visit vaccine is not on the table at all and nor should it be.

maddyone Sun 07-Feb-21 16:19:43

allium
You don’t have to pay for the home visit, the state pays the GP Practice for any home visit vaccinations they need to do at £10 per visit. The person who arrives to do the vaccination may be a doctor, but equally may be the Practice nurse. Whoever it is, the Practice will be paid, not the individual. At no point does the patient pay.

SueDonim Sun 07-Feb-21 16:56:59

My mum (finally!) hit her jab this morning. A young doctor came to the house to do it. He’s working all weekend and tomorrow and Tuesday just doing home visit vaccines. The two main partners in the practice have just retired so these are doctors new to the area, they don’t yet know their way around the tiny streets of town or the hilly glens of the rural hinterlands. And they’re grappling through blizzards and ice.

They’d deserve every penny of the £10 even if it was going direct into their pockets, which it isn’t!

SueDonim Sun 07-Feb-21 16:57:54

had her jab. Afaik, no one got hit! grin