Gransnet forums

News & politics

Duke of Edinburgh admitted to hospital.

(263 Posts)
merlotgran Wed 17-Feb-21 14:29:12

Last night after feeling unwell.

Fingers crossed for him.

Anniebach Wed 17-Feb-21 19:11:15

his Lifestyle and wealth makes no difference, he is a husband, father, great grandfather and g great grandfather.

If we ordinary folk had a loved one in hospital perhaps nearing end of life would we say he/she had a good life compared to the homeless

GrannyGravy13 Wed 17-Feb-21 19:14:23

I agree Anniebach

LauraNorder Wed 17-Feb-21 19:15:19

He has had many privileges but he did work well into his nineties while the rest of us retired in our sixties. Obviously with some exceptions.

Anniebach Wed 17-Feb-21 19:20:13

GrannyGravy thank you, I just don’t understand this obsession with anyone’s wealth when they are near end of life .

Should we think the same of everyone who is treated in a BUPA hospital / ward

trisher Wed 17-Feb-21 19:26:43

Anyone want to offer odds on if it will be a birthday party or a funeral this year????? Oh dear blush

grandmajet Wed 17-Feb-21 20:12:36

Could be one then the other

eazybee Wed 17-Feb-21 20:20:06

Prince Philip had a poverty stricken childhood and youth, virtually abandoned by his parents even though he was a member of Greek royalty, and his membership of the royal family was not made easy by many of the courtiers in the early years of his marriage.

BlueSky Wed 17-Feb-21 22:37:02

Let’s hope he makes it to his landmark birthday.

nadateturbe Wed 17-Feb-21 23:15:53

I don't think it's appropriate to say anything other than to wish him well. I don't like to hear of anyone being ill.

mokryna Wed 17-Feb-21 23:30:54

I agree with Anniebach I hope he gets well soon.

Newquay Thu 18-Feb-21 07:25:22

I don’t envy any of the staff having to deal with him!

DanniRae Thu 18-Feb-21 07:49:12

He is not my most favourite Royal but having said that I wish him a speedy recovery.
The poor Queen must be so worried........she's not having the best of times lately, is she?
I send them both my Best Wishes x

Jaffacake2 Thu 18-Feb-21 09:17:44

Wonder what the problem is considering he walked unaided into the hospital ? This may take the media attention away from Harry and Megans tv interview with Oprah in 2 weeks time.

Anniebach Thu 18-Feb-21 09:34:02

I doubt anything would take media attention from that tv interview

gillgran Thu 18-Feb-21 19:46:29

I do hope HRH Prince Phillip recovers enough to go back to join the Queen at Windsor. I'd like to see him celebrate his 100th Birthday.
I wish him well.

merlotgran Fri 19-Feb-21 15:15:23

Wasn’t it rather unkind of Harry and Meghan to confirm they have no intentions of returning to royal life while Prince Philip is in hospital knowing the kind of headlines it will create?

Ellianne Fri 19-Feb-21 15:21:36

Ha ha merlot. I wondered if this would crop up undercover! There are a couple of posters I know waiting to add their comments!

Ellianne Fri 19-Feb-21 15:22:13

Who dares start the thread?

Ellianne Fri 19-Feb-21 15:23:51

And for what it's worth, I think the stinky reply was already written and waiting before DofE got sick.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 19-Feb-21 16:04:16

Buckingham Palace released a statement earlier today, announcing that Harry and Meghan would no longer be working royals and all their patronages will be taken up by other family members.

paddyanne Fri 19-Feb-21 16:38:41

Royal patronage ....makes me sick.If people aren't happy to give to a charity without a Royal name at the top of the notepaper then its a very sad world.Maybe its the eegits that want empire medals or just the clowns who need someone on a pedestal to keep them "in their place"
Whatever their warped view is its time the monarchy was gone its an out of date in the 21st century.You wouldn't want my opinion of Phil the Greek ...

Anniebach Fri 19-Feb-21 16:45:27

Paddyanne. you hold so much hatred and I find your post racist

Alegrias1 Fri 19-Feb-21 16:45:41

I don't support the RF at all, think they're an anachronism.

However my dad is one of those eegits who has an empire medal and both he and I are very proud of that. Sometimes you go too far paddyanne.

suziewoozie Fri 19-Feb-21 16:47:06

Anniebach

*Paddyanne*. you hold so much hatred and I find your post racist

Whereas so many posts re MM ......

BlueBelle Fri 19-Feb-21 16:51:18

I wonder what poor old Philip has done to you Paddyanne I havent got any great love of the Royals but I don’t see why we shouldn’t feel compassion when they are ill

Apparently he is staying in hospital through to next week so it may be more serious than we have been lead to believe