Gransnet forums

News & politics

Pritti Patel and bullying

(62 Posts)
Dinahmo Thu 04-Mar-21 16:24:28

There is some good news occasionally. PP has reached a 6 figure settlement with the former permanent secretary in the Home Office. The FDA (civil servants union) is to continue pursuing other cases.

Blossoming Sat 06-Mar-21 21:32:12

Lucca

Priti Patel, Tory, good.
Meghan, bad.
Nicola sturgeon, SNP, bad.

I believe that is how it works on GN ?!

Perfect! grin

EllanVannin Sat 06-Mar-21 21:32:51

The woman has totally ignored the fact that a former constituent of hers has so far served 35 years in prison with what's looking like a very unsafe conviction.
A petition was sent to her to ask police to release all withheld documents pertaining to the crime which took place and she didn't/ hasn't had the decency to respond.

Aveline Sun 07-Mar-21 08:10:11

EllanVannin I doubt she opens the mail herself but I'm sure her civil servants will be getting through the work as fast as they can. Depending on how efficient they are of course...

simtib Sun 07-Mar-21 08:50:30

It would be good if she had to pay it but unfortunatly it will be us paying it.

M0nica Sun 07-Mar-21 08:52:57

Those supporting the bullies are bullies themselves.

Alegrias1 Sun 07-Mar-21 09:19:31

Fàilte a Chorryanna! Please come back, we need more like you smile

EllanVannin Sun 07-Mar-21 09:27:34

Aveline, this has been going on for years with her.

Aveline Sun 07-Mar-21 17:02:48

We don't really know though. She could just be a forceful, well organised woman who's impatient with the slow pace of action or progress in a department. Is she being especially pilloried because she's a woman? Would it be OK if she was a man in a grey suit? I don't know. None of us know.
M0nica I'm surprised at your glib comment. People are not all the same. One person's bullying is another person's reasonable behaviour. I can give you an example. A woman came to me once to say she was being systematically bullied. I was very concerned and asked what happened. It turned out that this person's work colleagues were a friendly bunch who were trying to show an interest and draw her out a bit. The 'bullying' was them asking her how her weekend had been or what she'd been watching on TV. The poor woman was a shy lady who lived on her own and had not had anyone to discuss this with until it had become blown up out of all proportion in her head. Once I got to the bottom of it all and spoke to all concerned it resolved very well. The lady relaxed and lost her defensiveness and soon felt able to join in general office fun and even went on a few outings.
That's just an example of course but it was to illustrate that 'bullying' comes in an infinite variety of ways and can also be perceived completely differently by an infinite variety of people.

MaizieD Sun 07-Mar-21 18:09:53

I think that shouting and swearing at the people working for you comes under most people's definition of bullying, Aveline. Patel's management style is pretty well known. She even had to be asked to moderate her behaviour.

Government wouldn't make a 6 figure pay out to someone who was triggered by being asked how their weekend was. I don't think you've read my link. I'll post it again:

davidallengreen.com/2021/03/a-close-reading-of-public-domain-information-regarding-the-settlement-between-philip-rutnam-and-the-home-office/#comments

The writer is a solicitor

MaizieD Sun 07-Mar-21 18:12:00

Sorry, this one might work better:

davidallengreen.com/2021/03/a-close-reading-of-public-domain-information-regarding-the-settlement-between-philip-rutnam-and-the-home-office/#comments

M0nica Sun 07-Mar-21 19:20:33

Aveline I stand by my statement, the little misunderstandings that arise in offices are not bullying.

I was bullied at one school I attended, there can be no misunerstanding over whether it was bullying when you are being regularly punched in the stomach because it is known you have a stomach illness.

I was bullied at work. Again there is no mistaking when a manager interviews to fail you and everybody in the department, including me, knew in advance this was what he intended to do. He later asked me if I had considered the interview as a bumiliation. My reply was that it was an attempt to humiliate.