Gransnet forums

News & politics

The fear women live with

(334 Posts)
suziewoozie Thu 11-Mar-21 09:20:37

I’ve been following this discussion on Twitter and radio. What some very thoughtful men are asking is what can I do to make a woman feel safer if out at night ? One answer was don’t walk behind her but cross the road. I mentioned this to DH at breakfast and he just said oh yes I always do that or if a very empty train or bus just sit as far away as possible. I know this is only part of the issue btw but interesting that some men accept that women can feel fear and how can they help.

bikergran Thu 11-Mar-21 09:18:28

The fact it could possibly be the Policeman will throw away our trust in the force.

Galaxy Thu 11-Mar-21 09:04:45

It's also interesting the type of advice that is offered. So dont walk late at night, etc. When in fact women are much more at risk from violence from someone they know, so if the safety of women is your aim you would be better saying actually go for a walk at night but under no circumstances be in a relationship with a man.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Mar-21 09:03:02

sodapop

Of course they should GrannyGravy that would be an ideal world. Sadly its not the one we actually live in. There are bad people out there who prey on women, men are not immune from attack either but its maybe not so well reported.
I think I read somewhere that women's perception is that such attacks are more prevalent than actually they are.

Yes men are subject to violence, but can you name a man that this happened to?

Men suffer violence but largely for entirely different reasons, associated with their lifestyle etc.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Mar-21 09:00:33

I suspect that many even on this little community of GN, could give examples of male violence or an incident that left them frightened.

sodapop Thu 11-Mar-21 08:59:39

Of course they should GrannyGravy that would be an ideal world. Sadly its not the one we actually live in. There are bad people out there who prey on women, men are not immune from attack either but its maybe not so well reported.
I think I read somewhere that women's perception is that such attacks are more prevalent than actually they are.

Galaxy Thu 11-Mar-21 08:54:09

The advice is also nonsense. Its magical thinking so that people think it wont happen to them. I assume the advice would also be take a taxi, speak to a policeman ....

GrannyGravy13 Thu 11-Mar-21 08:52:10

I totally agree Whitewavemark2 there are so many women (of all ages) on Twitter questioning why they have been told to stay inside after dark and be careful why not men?
Everyone should be able to walk safely to and from their workplace, friend's or families homes

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Mar-21 08:35:38

I have been listening to the news about Sarah Everard and reflecting on her death.

One comment that definitely rang true with me is the comment that “there won’t be a woman in the country, who, walking home after dark, doesn’t feel a frisson of fear if they sense someone walking behind them”

The commentary then went on to say that a woman being killed in this way is a very rare occurrence, but someone then said the killing of women is not rare, in fact since Sarah’s death 6 more women and a little girl have been killed. These I assume are domestic violence.

But that knowledge is utterly appalling. Something really must be done. I feel very troubled by this.