Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit news

(148 Posts)
varian Fri 12-Mar-21 18:57:21

The damage done by the madness of brexit is turning out to be even worse than we feared.

www.independent.co.uk/news/business/analysis-and-features/brexit-eu-trade-costs-red-tape-b1816552.html

Urmstongran Sat 13-Mar-21 12:46:46

MerylStreep

Urmstongran
I’d love to have that lovely feeling I had when OH woke me up to tell me that the vote leave had won.?

I know! It was fab wasn’t it? I still remember reading the newspaper headline that morning and feeling ‘wow’. Never thought we’d get it in a million years, everything seemed stacked against it.

I woke Himself up to tell him!

We were joyous and went out to our favourite bar that afternoon to celebrate.

Urmstongran Sat 13-Mar-21 12:51:49

May I just point out at this juncture that we now have Sir David Frost .... (drumroll please) ... he who knows all the twists, turns and intentions of the WA as he was there in the drawing up of it - to take us forward now, not Michael Gove.

I’m convinced (I’m a great fan of his as you can tell) that Frost is going to hammer out some changes. Businesses will get the boost they need this spring (and less bureaucracy!).

Urmstongran Sat 13-Mar-21 12:56:32

MaizieD

Urmstongran

Can I vote Leave again please?

I so enjoyed it the last time.

I think you might find fewer people do the same if we had a rerun...

Or maybe not ....

One poll this week showed that only 39% of the British public now have any interest in rejoining the EU.

?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 13-Mar-21 13:00:42

Yes Urmstongran I also think David Frost will begin to wade through the minutiae details of the WA.

We are only just over two months into being out of the EU, whilst dealing with a worldwide pandemic, getting everything tickety-boo after forty years of EU membership was never going to happen on the stroke of midnight 31/12/2020!

Urmstongran Sat 13-Mar-21 13:56:30

I had to borrow this.
?

“Because half a dozen grasshoppers under a fern make the field ring with their importunate chink, whilst thousands of great cattle, reposed beneath the shadow of the British oak, chew the cud and are silent, pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field.”

Edmund Burke’s celebrated words from 1790 are an even better corrective in the age of social media.

GillT57 Sat 13-Mar-21 14:07:04

I can't even be bothered to worry about it all anymore. While we are governed by a self serving, corrupt administration led by a proven liar, nothing that is said by ministers can be trusted. One day people will look back on this period of history and wonder at the mass hypnotism that caused the madness, that caused the situation where the £1000 per hour person can convince the £15 per hour person that everything is the fault of the £8 an hour zero hour contract employee. Anyone who thinks that Brexit is a success is seriously deluded, the devastation is being hidden by the economic impact of covid19 and the true unemployment figures are being understated due to furlough.

Urmstongran Sat 13-Mar-21 14:31:55

It’s early days is all we can say at this stage.
?

varian Sat 13-Mar-21 14:33:16

GrannyRose15

Get over it! You lost.

I do sometimes wonder if those of us who voted for Brexit would have been allowed to go on and on and on about how wrong the result was had we lost.

The point is GrannyRose15 is that we ALL-lost including you and all the gloaters .

The whole country is immeasurably poorer, not just economically, but in terms of social coherence, lost opportunities and a badly damaged international reputation.

If the 17 million (out of our population of 67 million) who voted Leave because they all thought they understood the consequenses, had lost, the vote we would all, including you, now be in a much better place.

vegansrock Sat 13-Mar-21 14:39:05

Brexit will never be an economic success, but then no one believed it would be did they? They trumpeted the signing of the last minute treaty , now they are trying to change it. No it’s not Armageddon, but it wouldn’t have been Armageddon either if we hadn’t signed that treaty. So that must count as the weakest argument ever. However, which country has the highest death rate? The worse economic hit? It’s all very well boasting about the vaccine procurement ( ordered whilst we were EU members) but thanks for that must go to Kate Bingham , not paid anything extra for the procurement btw, plus the army and NHS for the organisation. The government and their cronies have mucked up everything else so I guess there had to be one thing to crow about.

MaizieD Sat 13-Mar-21 15:17:46

The point is GrannyRose15 is that we ALL-lost including you and all the gloaters .

Absolutely, vegansrock.

What I'm finding really hard to understand is what they have to gloat about (apart from 'We won').

MaizieD Sat 13-Mar-21 15:18:45

Not vegansrock but varian blush

Welshwife Sat 13-Mar-21 15:50:24

The Dutch are the people who are celebrating. Amsterdam has taken much of the business from the City and their warehouse and logistics businesses are booming with British companies who wish to continue to trade with Europe opening bases there. Rotterdam based companies have very good links in place and can get goods to any part of the EU within 24 hours
By the time that the Blinkered Brits realise just how much is lost the EU countries may well be so pleased with how Brexit has brought them benefits that they refuse to allow re entry!

Katie59 Sat 13-Mar-21 15:52:53

This present government was elected to “Get Brexit Done”. We’ve been done alright, problems all the way, ever mind at least we have Covid under some control, we will just have to tough it out.

Sunny82z Sat 13-Mar-21 18:05:06

Oh for heaven's sake surely the Guardian readers aren't still going on about the Armageddon that was Brexit. It is over. One only has to look at the hash Brussels has made of the vaccine roll out to see what a complete disaster the whole 'European project' is. I doff my cap to those that voted to leave, you were right. If the EU stopped being so petty and vindictive we might get some where but, I doubt that will happen.

Urmstongran Sat 13-Mar-21 19:15:00

Have to agree with you there Sunny82z!
?

vegansrock Sat 13-Mar-21 19:20:28

So the Eu have made a mistake with the vaccine - the U.K. have made a the hash of a whole list of things - let’s start with test n trace. Doesn’t mean the whole project is faulty. At least they hold their hands up when they make a mistake unlike the U.K. who just lie and make last minute u turns.

Lucca Sat 13-Mar-21 19:25:14

Sunny82z

Oh for heaven's sake surely the Guardian readers aren't still going on about the Armageddon that was Brexit. It is over. One only has to look at the hash Brussels has made of the vaccine roll out to see what a complete disaster the whole 'European project' is. I doff my cap to those that voted to leave, you were right. If the EU stopped being so petty and vindictive we might get some where but, I doubt that will happen.

I realise it’s a minor point but I voted remain and I read the Times

Welshwife Sat 13-Mar-21 19:32:59

It would seem that the vaccine problem is due to the Pharma companies supplying the countries who are paying a higher price for the doses first rather than when they ordered etc. The EU of course got a good price due to the volume.

The EU hasn’t issued any new laws etc since Brexit - now the U.K. no longer belongs to the group it is subject to third country rules and doesn’t like it so wants the EU to make an exception for the U.K.! Why should they? It was the U.K. politicians who did not realise these facts or simply failed to tell the public - when they were told these facts the Leavers simply dismissed them as project fear.

Urmstongran Sat 13-Mar-21 19:38:09

Erm, no I disagree with you there Welshwife. (I think you live in Europe? probably happy to see the UK ‘on its knees’ ... I know a lot of ex-pats who hold that opinion).

David Frost negotiated Brexit. He KNOWS the EU are playing silly buggers. He KNOWS they are not abiding by the spirit of the WA. He is going back into the fray. He WILL take them to task on their attitude (or interpretation of the WA - take your pick folks).

Sunny82z Sat 13-Mar-21 20:29:52

Well Lucca, I read the Times to and I voted remain. However, I put my hands up I was wrong and feel excited by the oportunities offered by Brexit. The vote leavers were right. The EU has lost one of it's' biggest member states and all it can do is play some vicious game, over the years I have sat in the car at various ferry ports in France watching vast amounts of Continental lorries boarding ferries to the uk and ,where they think that trade will go heaven only knows, treasure Island as we have been known by the continentals isn't going to be so easy is it? They have screwed us for years.

Katie59 Sat 13-Mar-21 21:31:28

Sunny82z

Well Lucca, I read the Times to and I voted remain. However, I put my hands up I was wrong and feel excited by the oportunities offered by Brexit. The vote leavers were right. The EU has lost one of it's' biggest member states and all it can do is play some vicious game, over the years I have sat in the car at various ferry ports in France watching vast amounts of Continental lorries boarding ferries to the uk and ,where they think that trade will go heaven only knows, treasure Island as we have been known by the continentals isn't going to be so easy is it? They have screwed us for years.

Would you like to write us a list o& exciting opportunities please.

GrannyRose15 Sat 13-Mar-21 21:57:50

varian

GrannyRose15

Get over it! You lost.

I do sometimes wonder if those of us who voted for Brexit would have been allowed to go on and on and on about how wrong the result was had we lost.

The whole country is immeasurably poorer, not just economically, but in terms of social coherence, lost opportunities and a badly damaged international reputation.

If the 17 million (out of our population of 67 million) who voted Leave because they all thought they understood the consequenses, had lost, the vote we would all, including you, now be in a much better place.

That's exactly what I mean. We wouldn't have been allowed such a post. We'd have been shot down in flames.

But we did win. Against the odds and as a surprise to everyone. Now we have to make it work. And it would be a great help if everyone accepted that and stopped harping on about how great the EU is.

Have you had your jab yet?

MaizieD Sat 13-Mar-21 22:10:05

And it would be a great help if everyone accepted that and stopped harping on about how great the EU is.

I haven't seen anyone on this thread harping on about how great the EU is. We're just harping on about how totally crap Brexit is.

And, believe you me, we shall harp on, in public, for as long as we please. I, for one, have absolutely no intention whatsoever to 'accept' this monumental act of national self harm.

varian Sat 13-Mar-21 22:10:15

Today's edition of The Bottom Line" on Radio 4 is very illuminating. Business owners describe the lengths they are having to go to in order to "make it work"

MaizieD Sat 13-Mar-21 22:12:07

varian

Today's edition of The Bottom Line" on Radio 4 is very illuminating. Business owners describe the lengths they are having to go to in order to "make it work"

Brexiters really don't care, varian.